Chapala.com Webboard

Pfizer in Mexico

RickS

On 11/28/2020 at 12:12 AM, ibarra said:

I can't imagine that MX is prepared and/or able to keep the vaccine stored at minus 70 degrees.

I whole heartedly agree with this sentiment BUT the article says that Pfizer will be in charge of the supply chain/refrigeration for their vaccine in Mexico. Just as they are/have contracted with United Airlines to ship the vaccine out of Wisconsin and Michigan where it is being produced... not relying on the US Government or normal commercial carriers. Too risky. 

16 hours ago, ibarra said:

I can't imagine that MX is prepared and/or able to keep the vaccine stored at minus 70 degrees.

I think MX will be ready when the stores can keep their ice cream and other frozen goods "cold". The distribution network  to ensure this drug remains stable is a BIG challenge  for a country like MX. (We yet have to get the traffic signals at the Walmart installed). Or come to think about it.... maybe Walmart would be the best people to store and distribute it!!!

• Haha 1

You may have missed the part about Pfizer 'retaining control' of the shipment and logistics of their vaccine. I think that the Gov. of Jalisco just announced that the University of Guadalajara, that HAS super coolers, will be in charge. Still in all it will be a daunting challenge for Mexico to get this -70 C vaccine out to the masses. 

Putin's Sputnik..... well that's yet another kettle of fish.

• Like 1

I heard somewhere that the Pfizer vaccine was cheaper than the Moderna vaccine but was more susceptible to being damaged in storage. The proposed plan (U.S.) was to supply the Pfizer vaccine to areas of denser population which would have the specialized storage facilities and to distribute the Moderna vaccine outside of large population centers where fewer/none of the specialized storage facilities exist. This approach helps to utilize the strengths of both vaccines.

• Like 1

Covid vaccinations to begin this month; gov’t buys 34mn doses from Pfizer

The first 250,000 doses are expected to be delivered this month.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/covid-vaccinations-to-begin-this-month/

5 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Patience is the key here. Carlos Slim Foundation has partnered with AstraZeneca to produce vaccine in Mexico for Mexico and Argentina ready in early 2021. Hopefully the dosage issues will have been resolved and wide-spread vaccination can proceed.

Patience is something in short supply when you're so old you do not buy green bananas!!