Chapala.com Webboard

Tipping at gas stations

Just a thought. Maybe we should tip the bus drivers when they give us time to board without taking off, or when they are not talking on their cel phones or showing those dreadful tapes on the Direct buses

A reminder that that December is the time to provide the Aguinaldo, let's hope that Santa does not  fall sick to the Corvid

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

A reminder that that December is the time to provide the Aguinaldo

AND Vacation Pay if you did not pay it earlier in year.  My gardener has only taken a vacation once in 4 years, and prefers to get his vacation pay in Dec. with Aguinaldo.

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I tip them 5 for a good and courteous job of pumping the gas, 15 for window cleaning front and back.

The young lady who works the lake side island at the Riberas Pemex does an outstanding job of both.  I get my gas from her whenever possible.

She is also a very pleasant person, smiles et all!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Get with the programme,we are talking gas stations for vehicles not propane for the house.-SNORK!

Of course-that is obvious. You missed it. 

I remember getting gas at a Pemex north of Puerto Vallarta a few years ago.  I knew exactly how much my VW van would take.  Soon they were supposedly putting more gas into my tank than as if it had been empty. I protested. At that point the Pemex guard came over (with his rifle) and said you pay. So I paid.

Pemex gas stations for years have been notorious for shortchanging customers. They have been know to fiddle the pumps as soon as the government inspector leaves. When I moved here 11 years ago we soon had a list of stations to avoid for cheating and which ones were okay.

I keep a close eye on the pump when I am getting gas and tip 5 pesos per window cleaned.

I don't hear any complaints now-either the govenments inspectors have clamped down or people just don't notice.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 11:49 PM, Upfront said:

mexicans do not tip for pumping gas. this is a falacy brought on by gringos lakeside. sure the odd one does. exception to the rule.

I am sorry but I know that this is not correct. My wife is Mexican and I lived in Mexico City for 4 years and have many Mexican friends and relatives. Not just my wife's family but I have two Mexican aunts. They ALL tip at gas stations. I have been with my Mexican family and friends in Nuevo Laredo, Monterrey, Mexico City, Toluca, El Oro and Cuernavaca and they always tip. I believe that they all tip 10 pesos but I can't be sure if that number is accurate with all of them. My wife and my brother's in law and my best friend in Mexico tip that amount. 

Talk about beating a dead horse to death........

1....Some Mexicans tip, some don´t

2....Some foreigners tip, some don´t

Do, and how much, or don´t, is a personal choice, not a law, not a standard.  Do whatever grabs you and quit worrying about how many Mexicans tip or don´t tip, as anything you do or don´t do is going to change the price of the gasolina.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I tip. It's not going to kill me to give 10-20 pesos, even if it's just my scooter. I don't think most of them are rolling in the tip dough, so why not? If tipping means you're going to bed hungry tonight, then don't do it. If you can, do. It may not be a big deal to you, but I'm sure it makes a difference to the person who gets a few extra pesos.  Yes, I just had to thump that poor, dead horse, too!