Chapala.com Webboard

Car Insurance? How safe is my car without any insurance while Stored?

mkshawn

We have a gated car port, u can not see in, it's locked from the inside. The electric garage doors are disconnected, the car battery has been disconnected from inside the car, the rims have wheel locks? All keys are here in Canada! Parker wants a min of $8,783.46 pesos? I'm in Riberas.

If you can offer any further advice, sound off! We would be prepared to pay to have limited theft & damage insurance but do not believe any company offers this with their property insurance for a stored car? All observation are appreciated. S&S stores cars, do they offer storage Insurance?

I have only seen policies here that cover theft of the whole vehicle. You might find your car without a motor or transmission, up on blocks and get no claim rights. Ask Parker. On S&S' storage policy, ask Karen or Spencer.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Can you tell us what the cost of insurance should be...?

Of course not. It totally depends on the make, model and year of the car. I have found Parker to be very responsive over the years. Discuss it with them and I expect they can find a solution for you.

So Daisy, who did you end up with if you don't mind telling or sending us a PM. We did receive a quote much reduced like 50% but as Angus states the whole car must be stolen. I not sure if damage to the car in an accident is covered? Will ask!

20 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I have only seen policies here that cover theft of the whole vehicle. You might find your car without a motor or transmission, up on blocks and get no claim rights. Ask Parker. On S&S' storage policy, ask Karen or Spencer.

iX352020Quote.thumb.jpg.4271ddec9f9be612550b9a5e29939116.jpg

22 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I have only seen policies here that cover theft of the whole vehicle.....

Maybe it's just that I am insuring a NOB plated vehicle but I always get 'extra' coverage for theft including 'parts', not just whole vehicle. 

A lot of car buffs, storing many vehicles, use a small inverter to keep the battery charged. You still need someone to check the tire pressure and make sure no critters are moving in, I think someone has already mentioned keep the hood open and/or a low voltage light in the engine compartment.

The best tip though is to install kill switches in the vehicle which block the ignition from firing unless they are switched on. There are pressure switches you can install under the carpet and also a timer that kill after a certain period of time, but these devices are mainly used to prevent car jacking, which unfortunately is on the increase in Guadalajara.

All these people are looking for parts. Especially for vintage classic vehicles and custom body accessories. They are stripped within one day, the carcasses cubed the next. Don't take this the wrong way, but your 2015 Hyundai, while be well loved by your family, but not a high priority for the part thieves. Your biggest threat is joyriders,  who are easier to deter because they are usually just dumb kids. 

Don't forget there are also some pretty sturdy bike locks out there.

So killswitch and bicycle locks will secure your vehicle for under 2,000 pesos.

On 11/27/2020 at 2:00 PM, sm1mex said:

Change insurance company. Their quote is not responsible. 

Lots of different type policies and the cost varies.  In the US you would ask for comprehensive policy to store a car.  Here I have no idea what you ask for.  I leave one of my cars outside the walls of my house. I leave nothing in it and have steering column lock on it.  No problems in a year. But I admit who would want to steal a 2007 Micra (march in latin america). I think there are twelve in mexico 🙂

15 hours ago, RickS said:

Chillin, what would you do with the bike locks?

In my case, I have valuable rims and new tires, I would pass the lock through at least two tires and maybe part of the frame.

The professional car thieves are able to short circuit alarms, then use a special tow truck which can even side load vehicles. My friend who was carjacked in Guadalajara in one of his sleek, heavily customized Mustangs, said the cars side block you, then point guns, telling to put hands up, and all ID and cash on the seat. He, and passenger were able to slip away. His family is very well connected, and right away the police launched a helicopter to follow the GPS tracker, and were able to recover the vehicle just before it was entering a chop shop. Another time he was driving his white Hummer, with tinted windows, and unusual large, offroad, tires. A vehicle shot at him on the passenger side, just above the tire well. I actually saw the bullet hole, it was large caliber. He thinks they were trying to shoot a tire to disable the vehicle and then steal it. He sold that Hummer right away. Bad ride for Guadalajara!

Now he is selling his collection, and loves his new Fiat for around town and trips to Lakeside.

• 2 weeks later...

So after much back & forth, the policy came down from $8,783.46 pesos to under $3,500 with a 5% deductible down from 10%. We accepted! As some of you advised they refused to change the total loss stipulation? So thats the result for now! Looking forward to Chapala travel possibly April/May, very cold & damp here. Now, to top up the property managers funds for the staff looking after all the gardens & pool.