Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian policies

Freemaninmex

I applied for Canadian citizenship, both parents being born there. August 23, 2019 I received a call from the Consulate in Guadalajara from a woman who said "John, you are now a Canadian" after waiting about 16 months, when told 8 was average. I paid my money and took pictures and because the certificate never made it to Michigan to get sent to me down here in Mexico, I added a local address, the Ishop. Then I got an email stating it got lost and I must reapply. As my Fathers birth certificate was used. How and why can I reapply? Why? 

They are closed in Guad now. I am on a small pension. Can citizenship be taken away because of a bureaucratic snafu?  

On 11/27/2020 at 8:24 AM, Freemaninmex said:

Can citizenship be taken away because of a bureaucratic snafu?

No. You are still a Canadian citizen effective from the date of your birth. The certificate is "proof" that you are a citizen, but you are technically still a citizen even without the document.

There's a form to fill out to declare that it was lost, stolen or you never received it. That is a good first step.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/solemn-declaration-citizenship-certificate-lost-stolen-destroyed.html