Chapala.com Webboard

Skunks

donenrique

Have skunk(s) that like to visit our backyard and terrace each night. They have started to get a little bold and come up to the screen door to check out what's happening. Have been laying down a home-made pepper spray concoction that has not deterred them. Looking for any suggestions (that won't harm cats) of something to use that has been effective for you. Not interested in trapping them (been there, done that, not pretty).

Gracias en adelantado.

You need to think about what is bringing them into your yard.  They eat almost anything but they love insects like grubs and earthworms.  They are also attracted to fallen fruit, smelly trash, and any kind of pet food.  Some things are easy to isolate like trash and pet food.  Some like insects and fruit not so easy.  You can try ammonia soaked rags draped around.  It appears to them like potentially dangerous signs of predator urine.  Motion activated lights might startle them away also.  Be aware that they are possibly either in a den or are searching for one nearby.  Check under the hood of your car and if you see evidence that they might have been there then leave the hood open until you are ready to use the car.  If you decide to trap them with a live trap, call the bomberos to remove them.  I'm sure they love doing it!  Alan

• Thanks 1

yes they are. My dog kill them when he can , same with tlacuaches.. I thnk they do their rounds because they come and go. We make sure we leave no pet food.. Not sure if they are the ones getting the gold fih but something is.. I have 2 cats who show no interest during the day, maybe at night they wake up but the animal getting the gold fish takes them when my cats play with them and leave them nearby o who know.. I have no idea what to do about them but with the dog it i not a big problem.

42 minutes ago, barrbower said:

You need to think about what is bringing them into your yard.  They eat almost anything but they love insects like grubs and earthworms.  They are also attracted to fallen fruit, smelly trash, and any kind of pet food.  Some things are easy to isolate like trash and pet food.  Some like insects and fruit not so easy.  You can try ammonia soaked rags draped around.  It appears to them like potentially dangerous signs of predator urine.  Motion activated lights might startle them away also.  Be aware that they are possibly either in a den or are searching for one nearby.  Check under the hood of your car and if you see evidence that they might have been there then leave the hood open until you are ready to use the car.  If you decide to trap them with a live trap, call the bomberos to remove them.  I'm sure they love doing it!  Alan

Thanks, Alan. 

No trash, fruit, or pet food lying about.  I think they just like digging a bit in the yard and then they move on.  I suspect that we are on their nightly route through the neighborhood.  However, they are getting too curious about what's inside the house and show no fear of our motion detector light when it flips on.  Only our shouting at them will make them scatter.  

Will try the ammonia suggestion and will continue to look for a commercial solution that has worked for others.

Thanks again.  Harry

1 hour ago, Floradude said:

They have been infrequent visitors during the night to my house all of the many years I have lived here.  I have seen  babies twice.  They have not never been a problem.  I do not mind them.  They should be considered protected wildlife and not killed by your dog.

Don't have a dog, but do have a neighbor's visiting cat.  Don't want to trap or kill, only looking for a repellant safe for pets.  

13 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

Human urine is good for repelling skunks and other vermin. I suggest after dark with the lights out so you don't upset the neighbors and pee around the parameter.

Or save up from all the trips to the bathroom at night and 'water the flowers' in the morning.

2 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Human urine is good for repelling skunks and other vermin. I suggest after dark with the lights out so you don't upset the neighbors and pee around the parameter.

OK, is this true??  🤣

Cuz our neighbors don't need another reason to think we're nuts! But if so, we'll give it a try if the ammonia doesn't work.  (And thanks for the LOL!)

13 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Curious: are they the same black and white variety that we see in US?

No, doubtful. The Mexican skunks are quite small, very pretty (grey, black and white) and while they definitely put out a skunk smell, it's not as pungent as that of the larger skunks in the US and Canada. They are called civet cats (even though they aren't cats),Western spotted skunks, Pygmy skunks, and go by other names as well.

There were 2 that would hang out at my place and run up on the terrace, grab one piece of dog kibble out of the dog bowl, then run back to their hidey spot behind a big plant pot where I could hear them chewing and chattering away to each other. Then they'd run up again, grab another piece. I really enjoyed them- they were super cute, and never sprayed around my place, as they never got threatened. My dog and cat totally ignored them- dogs and cats are pretty smart that way. 

Then I found one dead in my yard one day, have no idea why it died- it didn't appear to have been attacked, no blood or bites. And I guess the other just left without her/his partner around anymore.

Pygmy Spotted Skunk

The ones around my place looked more or less like this.

According to Wikipedia, as Mudgirl has already pointed out, the species of skunks found in Mexico are called Spotted Skunks which are smaller and quite different looking than that of the skunk commonly seen in the US known as the Striped Skunk.  Since Mudgirl lives on the coast the skunk she sees is probably that of the Pygmy Spotted Skunk.  The ones around Chapala are known as the Southern Spotted Skunk.

We smell them in upper Villa Nova regularly and they are strong enough to wake you out of a sound sleep.   They are definitely nocturnal and seldom leave their spray before 9 pm. 

Had a problem with family of raccoons back in VA and  heard that human urine might deter them.   Did not work !!

Might need to try it here, rather than keep losing sleep over their strong and awful smell. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

yes could be a mapache , because the fish disappear at night so it is not a bird and the cats will drop them off and do not eat them..  know animls come at night because a young cat was killed and eaten in our washroom and I also have no idea which animal did that... Would a mache kill a young cat?

Skunks eat a lot of bugs and mice so a lot of people encourage their visits.  As a child I had pneumonia and a skunk was killed and his odor gland tied around my neck.  Must have worked since I am still here.

• Like 1

One day while working in my garden I kept smelling skunk and thought that was odd, as they are nocturnal.  Soon after, I found them- 2 little skunks had fallen into an empty 5 gallon pail that was sitting next to my compost box. They looked up at me and hissed. Carried the pail across the arroyo into a wild area and set them loose.