Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian Snow Birds, a rare bred this year

lakeside7

The US just made a shot across Mexico's bow for tourism from NOB.

Centers for Disease Control warns against travel to Mexico due to Covid risk

Travelers infected while outside US may be denied reentry

"The CDC also warned that people who choose to travel and become infected while abroad may be denied reentry to the United States."

I interpret that statement in the article to mean that as an American expat who lives in Mexico I may be denied entry into the US if CBP determines I am infected.  I read the keyword as "reentry." 

I know this is off topic since I am not a Canadian snow bird.  It is something for American expats to mull over.  

9 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

It doesn't say travelers infected while in Mexico, it says, "while outside US". Canadians wishing to drive down cannot enter US and therefore won't be able to visit Mexico.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2020/11/24/cdc-warns-americans-against-traveling-to-mexico-because-of-the-rise-in-covid-19-cases/

“Travelers should avoid all travel to Mexico,” the United States’ top health protection agency said in a written statement declaring the Level 4, or red, advisory.

The warning came only days before Thanksgiving, when thousands of travelers typically flock to Mexico’s tourist destinations. In the advisory, the CDC said people may increase their chance of getting and spreading COVID-19 by traveling there.

The warning also noted that if people become infected with COVID-19 while traveling abroad, they may be denied reentry.

“If you are exposed to someone with COVID-19 during travel, you might be quarantined and not permitted to return to the United States until 14 days after your last known exposure,” according to the advisory.

I just flew to the States (two weeks ago) and returned to Guadalajara (via Cancun) last week. This advisory is just that: advice. There was no health form requirement when entering the US, no inspection by ICE/CBP and no testing. So there is no way for the US to determine whether I was exposed/infected. Likewise, many US states have introduced stay-at-home quarantines, but there is no enforcement mechanism at international arrivals in airports. Mexico does have a form you fill out (online or paper) where they ask you where you have traveled and if you were exposed. No verification, although we did walk past temperature-taking stations (doing no testing) at both GDL and CUN airports. Enforcing a testing regime or quarantine at US airports would take days to weeks to prepare.

I agree there is no enforcement of quarantines anywhere in the US (though Hawaii was trying to do so, but has switched to requiring a negative test before arrival by air).  With the surge in positive cases, the attempt to contract trace has been abandoned. 

The recent CDC statement saying US Citizens may be denied re-entry is a false threat....I mean how would it even work???  You land in the US and then what, if they decide you may have been infected on your international trip or you test positive upn arrival???? 

I just don't see the US telling its citizens that they cannot return home.   

Well whatever they are doing there seems to be no shortage of traffic this winter.  Of course that interminable mess in front of Walmart and that too long light on the west side of San Antonio are combing to make it much worse.

IMO rents around here have gotten pretty steep.  I suspect some landlords will be sobering up soon.

On March 21, 2020, the U.S., Mexico, and Canada temporarily restricted non-essential travel across the US-Canada land borders. These restrictions will remain in effect until 11:59 p.m. EDT on December 21, 2020. We are maintaining cross-border activities with Canada and Mexico that support health security, trade, commerce, supply security, and other essential activities while taking critical steps to protect our citizens and to curb spread of the virus.   

Does this apply to U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents?
This order does not apply to individual persons who should be excepted based on considerations of law enforcement, officer and public safety, humanitarian, or public health interests.

Although Canadians are not permitted to drive to the U.S. for leisure travel, they can still fly to the country.

35 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Reference?  All I find was it was considered back in August but not implemented.  Some suspected terrorists with U.S. citizenship have been blocked until vetted.

My first post has the link/reference in it.

"Cannot return home" is not the same as requiring a 14 day quarantine BEFORE being allowed to return home after being exposed.

The former infers not being allowed to return home, period, the latter states the citizen might be delayed in returning home.

Are Mexico's numbers going up because they are testing more?

• Sad 1