Chapala.com Webboard

Best Buy Leaving Mexico

Mainecoons

I'm not totally surprised but I think it's convenient to blame it on Covid. All I can say is that EVERY single time I wanted to purchase something, they were always higher in price and I only shop online. I've done price comparisons on TV's, stoves, fridges, washers, dryers and computers. YMMV but that's been my experience.

• Like 3

I was at the Punto Sur location about 2 months ago and the pricing on headphones and sound bar speakers were less than in the US, like 25% less.  First time I have ever seen that at a Best Buy in Mexico.  Usually their prices are 25% more than the US.

Sort had an idea then that they had plans to shut it down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmh said:

That is not their only location so more empty spaces in malls..  The store had some nice kitchen and other items but that is the way it goes..

Big box is getting killed by on line shopping in the U.S. and that is beginning here as well.  Amazon is a very smart company and they are really ramping up in this country with new distribution locations and first class delivery here.  Everything I've bought from them has been delivered very rapidly and securely here.  

• Like 1

I remember when Eagle Hardware left Mexico many years ago. It was said the stores suffered from an unacceptable level of package tampering. People would open packaging and only take the parts they needed for repair. Of course the next customer comes along, thinking the package is complete, only to return it for refund or replacement. This has been largely curtailed in recent years with the heavy duty plastic blister shells. I imagine this still might be a problem except that people return after purchase. Principles of American customer service would say the customer is always right, and store charges the supplier, and usually throws the package away.

Anybody remember the Home Mart stores in Mexico before they were bought out by Home Depot? We went to the one in Queretaro when it opened... and laughed and laughed... at the whole aisle devoted to Thompson's water seal for wood decking. Hadn't seen a wooden deck in five years at that point in time.

Retailer, know thy customer.

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I remember when Eagle Hardware left Mexico many years ago. It was said the stores suffered from an unacceptable level of package tampering. People would open packaging and only take the parts they needed for repair. Of course the next customer comes along, thinking the package is complete, only to return it for refund or replacement. This has been largely curtailed in recent years with the heavy duty plastic blister shells. I imagine this still might be a problem except that people return after purchase. Principles of American customer service would say the customer is always right, and store charges the supplier, and usually throws the package away.

I always thought it was due more to employee pilfering than anything. Look at places like Soriana, where you find half-drunk bottles of Coke on a shelf somewhere, packages of cookies opened from the bottom, blister-packs of pens wrapped in heavy-duty fiber packing tape, and the like. The big tech stores I shopped at in Florida and Minnesota also always had returned goods on the shelf, including my own a couple of times, damaged or with missing parts.

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Anybody remember the Home Mart stores in Mexico before they were bought out by Home Depot? We went to the one in Queretaro when it opened... and laughed and laughed... at the whole aisle devoted to Thompson's water seal for wood decking. Hadn't seen a wooden deck in five years at that point in time.

Retailer, know thy customer.

It ain't no shock to me anymore.In a past life I made a living as a marketing and communications consultant and had plenty of experience in the way things are done in the US,Canada and Europe. Mexican marketing strategies are similar to what ended there in the 50's but it never ceases to amaze me what these Mexican companies do in that time warp.-SNORK!

Anyone who actually does business in Mexico knows how hard it is.   The hassles and aggravations are everywhere.  You need an army of staff and overhead to deal with it.  Doesn't surprise me.