Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican drivers license in US

ea93105

My US driver's license has expired and I will be driving into the US with my Mexican plated car and valid Mexican drivers license. Will I need anything else to travel throughout all US states such as an International drivers permit ? 

Also I will try to purchase additional liability coverage to cover any higher limits set by certain states.

If I were to be pulled over for something and they need to issue a ticket what kind of problem can be expected without a US address ? 

We have been driving to the U.S. from Mexico for over 20 years with a Mexican license.  We have driven as far as Michigan into the U.S.  No problems.  We personally know that in Texas and AZ, just across the Border there are many places to buy liability insurance.   We were pulled over for speeding once and when we showed our DL, the office gave us a verbal warning.  Check with the States you will be traveling through to see what their requirements are. 

• Thanks 1

We are not driving any longer to the U.S.,  we fly.  We rent cars in MI and AZ regularly, no problem with MX drivers license.  Our car insurance here in MX covers us for rental cars in the U.S.   However, sometimes, depending on the time of year, we take out extra liability insurance and, since we are only gone a couple of days at a time, we think the cost is reasonable.

We rent cars through Expedia.com and chose pick up at the local airports where we fly into. 

• Thanks 1

Car rental agents on both sides of the border will use any excuse, ruse, or trick to sell extra liability insurance. I always refuse knowing that the laws do not allow rentals without them being insured at the base rate.

1 hour ago, ibarra said:

We are not driving any longer to the U.S.,  we fly.  We rent cars in MI and AZ regularly, no problem with MX drivers license.  Our car insurance here in MX covers us for rental cars in the U.S.   However, sometimes, depending on the time of year, we take out extra liability insurance and, since we are only gone a couple of days at a time, we think the cost is reasonable.

We rent cars through Expedia.com and chose pick up at the local airports where we fly into. 

Does your MX insurance cover 'collision' for you in the US or just liability?  If not, how does the rental company get reimbursed for repair is you have a wreck?  If it does cover collision etc, is it at a Mexican hourly rate or US rate?  Just curious.....

10 hours ago, RickS said:

Does your MX insurance cover 'collision' for you in the US or just liability?  If not, how does the rental company get reimbursed for repair is you have a wreck?  If it does cover collision etc, is it at a Mexican hourly rate or US rate?  Just curious.....

Just collision.  As to what happens if you have a claim, I can't answer your question since we haven't had any claims.  Those would be questions for the insurance agency. 

You need to check your Mexican policy.  It will depend on the level of coverage you buy and the company. For example my Qualitas "Amplia" policy has USA liability included. You go  to their website, enter your policy number and you can then print an English copy of the coverages in the USA.  

I am aware of no Mexican policy that includes comprehensive-collision coverage. 

As to individual states requirements; If you live in for example in North Dakota and drive across the USA you don't buy the liability required for each different state. Your home policy limits are the rule. 

10 hours ago, ibarra said:

Just collision.  As to what happens if you have a claim, I can't answer your question since we haven't had any claims.  Those would be questions for the insurance agency. 

I am surprised... with a capital "S".... that it covers 'only collision' as I, like Mostlylost, have never heard of a Mexican policy covering US travel Collision and maybe especially on a rental vehicle there. 

I really don't know how one can protect themselves from financial despair when driving a non-US covered vehicle while in the US other than paying the rental agency for that coverage... and it ain't cheap.