Chapala.com Webboard

share if you choose

WideSky

4 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

I bought two (locally).  For me, they were more UNcomfortable than wearing my mask; maybe I'd get used to them over time, but they also push the masks too far out and created gaps and hence not as protective.  We have 20+ masks and they were not a good fit with 95% of them.  Just our opinions.  

58 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I bought two (locally).  For me, they were more UNcomfortable than wearing my mask; maybe I'd get used to them over time, but they also push the masks too far out and created gaps and hence not as protective.  We have 20+ masks and they were not a good fit with 95% of them.  Just our opinions.  

I found it takes time to find the right position on the mask, as well as the actual design of the mask itself. I only use the medical surgical masks, and use the pleats to hold the clips on the plastic insert.

2 hours ago, johanson said:

What are these surgical masks rated at?  KN95  or N95?

Apparently there is a difference.

A proper surgical mask is usually made of three layers, including an outer hydrophobic non-woven layer, a middle melt-blown layer, and an inner soft absorbent non-woven layer.... These are not given these 2 ratings. 

I'm up north right now, and I am not an expert on the subject but the best surgical masks are rated N95. The best I can get, not being in the medical profession or anything else special are the KN95s  Now I am told that the N95s are made in the states or Canada and have to meet the highest level filtration etc and are for the medical professionals, first responders etc.

And the KN95 are the best (highest level of filtration) we. the public can buy. I have purchased KN95s in both Mexico (from a pharmacy lakeside) and up north on line from Amazon (I think)

Please correct me if the information I am posting is wrong. I'm just posting what I have read on line and what I have been told by the sellers of these products.

And yes, lakeside and in many places, one can you get masks that are made locally and have not been rated. And I presume some are better than others. Me? I will continue to buy the rated masks with the metal inserts at the top of the mask that help it better fit over and cover the nose without air leaks at the base of both sides of the news.

KN95 is a Chinese standards mask.   N95 is a US standards mask.  Both are the same efficiency but the Chinese mask can be a little bit harder to breath compared to the US standard. (I can't tell the difference)

Surgical masks are just as good as the KN or N type mask with the virus.  This is do to the viruses large size compared to other viruses. A surgical mask is much easier to breath with in my opinion. Surgical masks are not so good with other hazards compared to a K or KN type mask..

Cloth single layer masks are about 50% efficient.  Multiple layers are a little bit more efficient. Some of this depends on the cloth.  Yes the cloth masks look nice especially if decorated but the K or KN or Surgical masks are much safer.  Please note cloth masks are fine for eliminated the spray from a sneeze or cough so they have a place.  I find the double layer cloth to be restrictive in my breathing so I went back to surgeons masks.

My efficiency numbers come from a study I read where they tested how restrictive and how effective different mask technology were.

If this seems like a lecture I apologize but it is good info to the best of my knowledge.  My background is Engineering. Every day I walk 10 miles a day wearing a mask and find the surgical mask easier to walk with especially on the hills.  I huff and puff a little more going up the hill with a K or KN type mask.

Please everyone be careful.  The stories I can tell you from my family in Seattle are very very sad indeed.  Good Luck!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time...) but I think the N95 is designed to protect the wearer but not so much those exposed to infected folks because the vent design lets breath out easier and can pass virus pathogens through easier than just a regular surgical or even a cloth mask.  Correct me if I am wrong about this.  Not sure what the difference is between the KN95 and N95 masks.  Alan

• Thanks 1

Vents can be on any mask. Vents have nothing to do with n95 or kn95.  Best to avoid them as it lets your exhale contaminate the local environment. Vents were designed for construction workers and hard working folks to make them breath easier on exhale not to protect people from virus.  Vented masks do protect folks from your sneeze or cough to some extent..

Difference between a KN95 and N95 are the standards used. N95 is a US Standard. KN95 is a Chinese standard.  Both are 95% efficient but the Chinese KN95 is a little bit harder to breath thru than the US standard mask.  I can't tell the difference.

Hey. I have learned a lot here. Thank you all for your very informative posts. It reinforces what I more or less understood and posted. Now if they would only hurry up with the coronavirus vaccine shot so that this hypochondriac  can return home from Seattle to Ajijic.

14 hours ago, johanson said:

I have KN95 masks only and I can choose whether the straps hook on the ears or completely around the head. When wearing hearing aids, I use the KN95 masks where the straps go around the head

Around the head straps are better if you have ear buds in for listening to music.  The straps around the ears sometimes gets tangled in my earbuds.  Good Point Pete.

On 11/23/2020 at 4:54 PM, johanson said:

I have KN95 masks only and I can choose whether the straps hook on the ears or completely around the head. When wearing hearing aids, I use the KN95 masks where the straps go around the head

N95: two straps around the head. KN95: straps around the ears.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2020 at 4:15 PM, johanson said:

Hey. I have learned a lot here. Thank you all for your very informative posts. It reinforces what I more or less understood and posted. Now if they would only hurry up with the coronavirus vaccine shot so that this hypochondriac  can return home from Seattle to Ajijic.

Trump promised it before the end of this year !

• Haha 1