Chapala.com Webboard

Going permanente while Temporal

telcoman

Can anyone explain going permanente while you are temporal before your 4 years are up? It looks like you have to prove financials 500 x UMA. Anyone have any idea what that amount translates to? If the daily rate is about 87 pesos, as I found on one site, that works out to about $2700  a month Canadian. If correct, that is considerably less than the $4751 it shows to go to permanete to start with on teh consul page. I would like to convert as soon as i no longer need my Canadian plated vehicle in Mexico. With the experience of covid, I am always concerned about being out of Mexico when my 4 years is up. Heck I could be in hospital in Canada, there could be another pandemic, an asteroid strike,  or who knows what. As soon as my vehicle is out, I want to control the timeframe.

its not costs, its monthly financial income qualifications. If i applied for permamente at the consulate they say I need $4751 of after tax pension income or $190 K in savings. That is a lot. However when i multiply 500 x the UMA it comes out to about $2600 by doing it in mexico.

On 11/21/2020 at 5:10 PM, telcoman said:

its not costs, its monthly financial income qualifications. If i applied for permamente at the consulate they say I need $4751 of after tax pension income or $190 K in savings. That is a lot. However when i multiply 500 x the UMA it comes out to about $2600 by doing it in mexico.

Telcoman - difference is between minimum wage and UMA; do you know for sure if they have implemented the UMA?
Big difference between UMA (86.88) and minimum wage (123.22)

Most consulates are still using the minimum wage as the base.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Scott D said:

If you are in Mex now on Temporal, do you have to go back to Canada to apply for your Permanente?

I was told no, you can do it in mexico before your 4 years are up if you meet the financial requirements. I am currently in Canada. I need to do a quick in and out of PV before mid feb to do the one year renewal of my temporal. I intend to change it to permanente before the 3 years are up. I would rather control the timing so I don't get blindsided like this year.

Wideside, that explains the dif

Consulates use minimum wage. INM uses UMA. You will need your bank statements translated by a certified translator before you do anything. INM has two fees for the process. My web site covers this subject, re PR when one has not been a TR for a full 4 years. http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration---visas.html

INM is PV is taking 3 weeks to process. I have an office in PV.

• Thanks 1

I have to wonder how you translate bank statements. They are just numbers. I will discuss with Teresa when I see her. Whether I can get down to renew temporal or have to start over, I will still use her regardless. BTW I was unable to get the exit slip when I drove across at Laredo the day of chaos (everybody trying to cross beofre it was scheduled to close) in March. They would only stamp my passport, they seemd to have no idea what I was asking for, evne though I showed them my card. Is that likely to cause me issues re-rentering? I am quite friendly with the visa person at the consulate in Vancouver. I am wondering if I should ask her to write them a letter on their letterhead explaining what happened, if she will do that. I am starting to wonder if it would be just easier to let mine expire rather than flying in and out during the 55 day grace period.

2 hours ago, telcoman said:

BTW I was unable to get the exit slip

Are you talking about the TIP paper stating you removed your vehicle? There is no such thing as a "exit slip" as far as your temporal INM status goes. If you fly out you have to fill out a FMM at INM at the airport, but not when you drive. Your temporal card is what allows you back into the country- you don't need anything else.

28 minutes ago, telcoman said:

no i mean the INM slip they give you that you are supposed to produce when you re-enter. I would be flying back in. Confused.

You'll get a new FMM to fill out on the plane on the way back. It's not a concern. INM doesn't care if the bar code on the top and bottom halves don't match when entering or exiting. Just make sure you check the box that says TR and your reason for coming to Mexico as "Other" and write TR at the top. Hand it to the INM agent at the airport along with your TR card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

You'll get a new FMM to fill out on the plane on the way back. It's not a concern. INM doesn't care if the bar code on the top and bottom halves don't match when entering or exiting. Just make sure you check the box that says TR and your reason for coming to Mexico as "Other" and write TR at the top. Hand it to the INM agent at the airport along with your TR card.

That is not what a INM agent in Mexico City told a few months back, she gave me a lecture about how important it was to retain the other half. A different day and entry point and they do not care diddly ..what what the hell this is Mexico and one size does not fit all and sweeping statements are not correct Mudgirl

18 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

That is not what a INM agent in Mexico City told a few months back, she gave me a lecture about how important it was to retain the other half. A different day and entry point and they do not care diddly ..what what the hell this is Mexico and one size does not fit all and sweeping statements are not correct Mudgirl

Yes, you're correct that you can get different answers at different times and places. But I was told this by the INM agent in the PV airport. What had happened was that I flew to Canada with my Mexican granddaughter for a few weeks, but she flew back with her mom who came up later. I had both the other halves of the FMMs for me and my granddaughter, but didn't know which was which as I never fill out the other half until I'm heading back down. I told the agent in the airport that I couldn't be sure that the one I retained was the other half of mine or hers, and the agent just waved her hand dismissively and said it doesn't matter.

I've lived in Mexico for 20 years, speak Spanish, and have never heard of anyone having a problem by just filling out a new card on the plane. Plenty of people misplace the other half anyway while out of the country. INM uses those FMMs for statistical purposes, to track how may tourists and residents are entering and leaving at any given time. There is no reason for them to care about your exits and entries as a TR or PR. The stamps in your passport is what they look at if it ever comes to having to prove it.

Just because you got a lecture by one officious INM agent (and you weren't prevented from coming back in, right?) doesn't mean this is something the OP needs to stress out about.

• Like 1

Also telcoman drove out. As far as I'm aware, they don't fill out a FMM for you when you drive out, so there is no other half to retain for when you return. It's only when you fly out that you have to fill out the form at the INM booth at the airport and would have the second half to hand in on return. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

I too have returned without the paper. Nobody cares and why should they?

that is good news. The reason I care is that if I fly down to renew which is not for sure yet, it depends on covid, I will be flying in during the 55 day grace period. I already have the immigration regs printed out to show them if there are any issues over that. If I feel it's still too risky to fly in during Feb, I will just start over.

On 11/29/2020 at 9:59 PM, mudgirl said:

There is no reason for them to care about your exits and entries as a TR or PR. The stamps in your passport is what they look at if it ever comes to having to prove it.

One case where it is important to do it the right way is if you ever want to apply for citizenship. If you apply for citizenship, they will carefully scrutinize your entries and exits to make sure you meet the time in country requirements. Any discrepancies may prevent them from accepting your application. Some people are asked to prove their entries and exits by formally requesting a print out from the INM, which they can actually provide, so they are tracking it. In a citizenship group I was following I saw people saying they had problems from not checking in and out properly when crossing by land.

In most cases you're probably right, they don't really care. Like people who overstay their FMM as tourists then show up at INM at the airport saying they lost it. In most cases they don't care, but they do actually know and track it, and in exceptional circumstances it could cause a problem.

4 hours ago, Scott said:

One case where it is important to do it the right way is if you ever want to apply for citizenship. If you apply for citizenship, they will carefully scrutinize your entries and exits to make sure you meet the time in country requirements. Any discrepancies may prevent them from accepting your application. Some people are asked to prove their entries and exits by formally requesting a print out from the INM, which they can actually provide, so they are tracking it. In a citizenship group I was following I saw people saying they had problems from not checking in and out properly when crossing by land.

Yes, I'm aware that the entry and exit data is required when applying for citizenship. But one of the problems with checking out properly if driving is that at some borders and with some border officials, they simply won't comply. I know of some folks who tried to turn in their FMM when leaving the country through the Baja border and the guy refused to take it, saying it wasn't necessary. They insisted, saying they wanted to do everything as advised, so he accepted it, then they saw him wad it up and throw it in the trash can as they were walking out the door. So that one obviously didn't get entered into any database 🙂

I can't see ever applying for citizenship. I like to keep a foot in Canada just in case I need to return for medical reasons, so I make sure i spend 5 months a year there. Plus I like summers in Canada. Winter sucks, though and I am stuck here this one because of covid. May eventually look for assisted living in mexico if I get too sick old and stupid to travel.

23 minutes ago, daisy2013 said:

Guess it looked like you want permanente visitor visa but not really permanent    That sounds odd 

I live most of the year in Mexico, not full time until my parents are gone at least. I need to buy a car and my intention it to ultimately stay there. My issue is they keep raising financial qualifications  and i may find myself priced out if I don't do it now. Either way i spend more time there a year (this one excluded) that the 6 month tourist visa allows.