Chapala.com Webboard

wi fi conundrum

econ man

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I have been using Ilox 70 mbs since April 2018. My TV situation changed about 8 months ago and I began to stream IPTV services using Firestick. I was having buffering issues so I did a test on the Firestick speed. My laptop would get 65- 70 mbs sitting next to the Firestick, but the stick would only get 30. I had a Netgear extender lying around so I got an ethernet cable adaptor for the Firestick and connected the extender and started getting 50 + mbs. The buffering issues disappeared. For 3 months,  then the Firestick speed dropped to 30 while the laptop speed remained at 70.

The Netgear was a few years old so, based on internet reviews I tried a TP Link extender, no difference. I decided to up my Ilox speed to 300mbs, thinking if I  was getting a lower percentage of a larger number that would be enough. No difference. I had been using a Steren router since day one with no problem but  since that was the only other end of the connection, I decided , based on internet reviews, to try a TP Link Archer 1750, still no difference. I decided to use the Steren router as an ethernet cable Access Point, and fortunately it had WISP protocol which made setting up a bridge extremely easy. I  started to get 60 - 70 mbs at the Firestick while the laptop was getting 150 -250. No problems.

That lasted about a month. Now I am getting 20 - 30, or less, at the firestick, while the laptop at the same location gets 150 -250. 

I should add that the router and the AP are in 2 different rooms with a large wide connecting arch between, so almost in the same room, direct line of sight 25 - 30 ft apart.

Any ideas why the in room wi fi is dropping so drastically?

Thanks, but the speed at the modem is fine and the wifi speed from the router is fine at my laptop  at the same location.   I realize the Firestick is not as receptive as my laptop's wireless card , but I have had 2 different systems (extender and access point) ethernet cabled to the firestick and they both worked fine for a period of time and then the wifi speed in the room dropped 50% for no apparent reason, only between the router and the extender/access point, not between the router and the laptop.

I get 25-30 at my Firestick 4K; I stream IPTV without buffering using StrongVPN.

Without the VPN the buffering is constant.

I believe Ilox is throttling bandwidth when they detect you are streaming IPTV unless you are hiding it with a VPN.

My old original Firestick didn't stream very well even with a VPN.

Not all apps buffer. Just one particular IPTV. My issue is I have the speed at the modem and the wifi in the room to a laptop and I had  a system set up with an extender that worked for 3 months and then one with an access point that worked for 4 weeks and then suddenly the speed( to them only) is cut in half. I could run an ethernet cable outside the house, but I am curious as to why  these systems stopped working.

I know someone that has Ilox upstairs and Telmex downstairs. Iptv works on firestick just fine with Telmex and nada with the Ilox. 100% this is Ilox. I suspect Ilox is throttling speed with iptv because they offer a tv service. Think you need to request a public ip.