Chapala.com Webboard

Satellite Internet Service Anyone Can Install

It is all about the economic potential in Latin America. There are still a lot of areas in Mexico with no internet at all. The previous administration in Mexico, much more conservative than this one, embraced technology, giving away free flat screen monitors to seniors, and funding for free digital transmissions. I'm sure many of them were as boring as the  frequent updates on sugar cane production that I used to sometimes listen to on Cuban radio. National internet access could provide distance learning, quality health observations, and meetings capabilities. In other words, the early adopters of satellite might be lucrative government contracts. And the march of global electronic zombies will carry on!

5 hours ago, mexjerry said:

well spacex launch tommorrow, 60 sat's for a total 943, 20 sat's on line in one batch, takes about 30 days to stabilize, then some form of testing, I'm sure.

Give it six months

... and what happens maybe after 6 months?

On 11/19/2020 at 6:16 PM, RickS said:

Musk seems to be adept to high hurdles.

He hasn't figured out his long promised solar roof tiles yet though.      5 to 6 years now....that one got away from him.     

Science-fiction authors impressed upon us decades ago that space travel would be taken over by corporations. We are lucky to have these guys. (If we didn't have social media, we wouldn't know any more about them than people did Henry Ford, who remained a great man for decades because of what he did, before people were made aware of some truths.) I think it's fantastic that so many people were glued to their televison sets last week, once again, after actually becoming bored wtih the space program years ago.

Those authors also predicted that giant corporations would take over most government duties, and foment a creeping dystopia. The space program is probably just a happy but misleading first step.

Because while it is all smiles and hope for "the future", it is still a huge step into the world of corporate funding. And that simply paves the way for those corporations who want control and money, and not necessarily advancement. Thus it is a move that is misleading us into thinking nothing but good can come of corporate takeover of a field. Mark me: at some point, the Federal government will be unable to fund NASA at all, and will turn the whole thing over to whoever offers the best deal. And so it will go in all areas of commerce.

Remember in the movie the company that sold oxygen on Mars (Total Recall)? What they didn't show us was how they won the Federal contract, and then became the greedy taskmasters of the planet, with no oversight from Earth... which led to people on Mars dieing because they couldn't afford the usurial oxygen charges.

On 11/21/2020 at 11:51 AM, RickS said:

But let's make no mistake... getting this service in Mexico is a loooong way off.

You'll see SAT internet in MX long before you see Tesla solar roofs "taking off", anywhere.       He's screwed it up from the start, both technology and pricing.   

What most people don't understand is that Elon's "solar roof" means (in US & C terms of framed homes) completely removing and replacing the roof structure, not just "re-shingling"......Typical home is 60,000 to 100,000 dollars to do that and install a system of sufficient size.       I love the concept and the look....so don't think I'm bashing that part....just that he's promoted the sizzle and no steak for 5 years now and is really still at the tech demo stage. 

Better suited to new builds, because of that, as well, than an existing home.  

Panasonic’s deal with Tesla didn’t work out as planned in Buffalo, but it won’t be forgotten - Buffalo Business First (bizjournals.com)

On 11/25/2020 at 12:21 PM, RickS said:

"Simon Says"...    https://electrek.co/2020/10/25/tesla-next-killer-product-solar-roof-elon-musk/

Only your hairdresser knows......

Read this comment from that same article:   (and most places need a full rebuild to support a slate roof.....)

The last time I priced out a Tesla Solar Roof it was close to competitive with a slate roof plus solar, but was nowhere close for any other roofing material plus a regular solar installation. I was surprised to read that your church has an asphalt shingle roof. Also, having seen pictures of the installation it seems like there are a lot of potential failure points in the many small connections needed to make the equivalent of one factory made PV module.

Go Solar me thinks that your posting about the Tesla Solar roof and its history and shortcomings could be falling on deaf ears with respect to installing in Mexico.  No one in their right mind is going to retro-fit solar THAT expensive unless they have cartel connections. 😄

Rick, agree 100% which was part of my original point / comment.     $$$, not really in production or economically viable.....and REALLY not what you'd put on a flat roof anyway which 80+ % of our MX systems go onto.     

So now we're on the same page.....and Elon can stick with his other industries / planets.    😉 

• Like 1