Chapala.com Webboard

Read and draw your own conclusions

Mainecoons

A study done in Denmark, published Wednesday in Annals of Internal Medicine, seemed to question whether and to what extent masks protect the wearer. The study had a number of flaws, however, as the researchers acknowledged. For example, study participants who were supposed to wear masks sometimes didn’t. And the work was done at a time when not much coronavirus was spreading in Denmark – meaning there wasn’t a lot of data to draw conclusions from.

https://apnews.com/article/ap-explains-confusion-over-masks-74a67cc33e65721fe4cdf45fbdeb78e5

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For every study that negates the need for masks, you can find another study that endorses masks.  

It will take about a decade after this ends for scientists, doctors, data collectors to issue valid reports on what worked, what didn't work (masking; various therapeutics; even the eventual vaccines).  

• Like 3

My understanding has always been that the purpose behind people wearing a mask was that the mask offered protection to others, not a lot to the person wearing the mask. The virus is basically spread from a cough, sneeze, or talking/singing and the mask prevents it from traveling rapidly to where it would go provided the infected person had no mask. I thought that was the science behind the mask wearing. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

My understanding has always been that the purpose behind people wearing a mask was that the mask offered protection to others, not a lot to the person wearing the mask. The virus is basically spread from a cough, sneeze, or talking/singing and the mask prevents it from traveling rapidly to where it would go provided the infected person had no mask. I thought that was the science behind the mask wearing. 

That was the original thinking.  However, the CDC now says it protects both the wearer and those the wearer encounters.  All of these individual studies are mere snippets of data, just a snapshot.  It will take YEARS for all of the data to be adequately analyzed and reported.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/11/933903848/wear-masks-to-protect-yourself-from-the-coronavirus-not-only-others-cdc-stresses

When the CDC first recommended that Americans wear cloth face coverings back in April, it cited evidence that the coronavirus could be transmitted by asymptomatic people who might not be aware of their infectiousness – a group estimated to account for more than 50% of transmissions. The agency said masks were intended to block virus-laden particles that might be emitted by an infected person.

In a report updated Tuesday, the CDC says that is still the primary intention of wearing masks. But it also cites growing evidence that even cloth masks can also reduce the amount of infectious droplets inhaled by the wearer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Let's see if we dan discuss this like adults.

Why is this even a topic of discussion? So there are differing opinions on how much a mask protects others and the wearer. So what? If there is a chance that it could lessen the infection and death rate, why would anyone object to wearing one? It's so incredibly juvenile.

If anyone doubts that masks cut way down on the aerosols you expire, here's a brilliant little visual for you:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/face-mask-cold-air-demo-covid-19_ca_5fb04b71c5b6b956698ba643 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

some peoople post things when they are bored and want to stir up the poop. because you are right. it should not even be a topic for discussion based exactly on what you reasoned

I should have know you'd have trouble discussing the topic instead of getting personal.  

This is not the only study which suggests masks are not the panacea some see them as.  The very variations in usage the study brings out as reducing their effectiveness is what is going on in the real world.

Here is a much more comprehensive review.  Also read, follow the links to the sources, and draw your own conclusions.  I have drawn my own and conclude the far better way to protect myself is to keep my distance and avoid gatherings.

https://swprs.org/face-masks-evidence/?fbclid=IwAR1ehYUW2IrmFvTvUegMsBJC2VObhzrx7AraOHVnKN88n4nLysr67SoiTCg

This reference suggests to me this is most certainly a topic for discussion.  

I think we'll leave it at that and since it is my topic I will close it.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4