Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico Hwy 101 to/from Matamoros

Out1

In my opinion these 'is it safe' questions rarely get what one is looking for.  The way things generally happen is that I could have driven that road last week with 'only blue skies and green palms' but today it's an all out war. Then next week and for many weeks or months following it is blue skies all over again.

FWIW I have not heard anything 'bad' about 101 for quite some time. And if one is reading Mexican forums a lot, one usually hears. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RickS said:

In my opinion these 'is it safe' questions rarely get what one is looking for.  The way things generally happen is that I could have driven that road last week with 'only blue skies and green palms' but today it's an all out war. Then next week and for many weeks or months following it is blue skies all over again.

FWIW I have not heard anything 'bad' about 101 for quite some time. And if one is reading Mexican forums a lot, one usually hears. 

What you say is so true. I drive the Mascota highway all the time and one week after, a few years ago,  coming through there from PV, 15 police were killed at San Sebastian, but I still used it on my next trip down to PV. 

No one has crystal ball that can answer the question for every day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2020 at 11:55 AM, Out1 said:

Has anyone driven this route lately ? Is it safe ?

I drove it several times in 2019 mid day without problem; but that was over a year ago.

It saves about 100 miles from South Padre Island to Lakeside versus going through Monterrey.

https://themazatlanpost.com/2020/11/17/family-attacked-and-robbed-on-tamaulipas-highway/?fbclid=IwAR3D8sWg15Gkd_O7FFHJ1YEFDPkAyNqSePe6DcgtXCM4EP0jEd9jJTTCFeA

3 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

That happened in Reynosa, was 50 miles from hwy 101, and the victims are Mexican. 

Yes, Reynosa/outskirts has had much trouble with these sort of incidents.... and worse... for a couple of years. In fact when the OP said it was shorter from SP Island than going through Monterrey I thought "I would NOT go to Monterrey THRU Reynosa ever". Too much ongoing troubles there for my liking.

• Like 1

I went to McAllen through C. Victoria in Feb.  There was a state or federal cop parked along the road about every 10 miles.  The checkpoints had fewer cops standing around because they were all out patrolling.  There used to be a caravan that left from the C Victoria federal barracks at 7Am every morning for travelers, that would meet a caravan coming from Reynosa.  They would meet somewhere between Fernando and the Y of 101/97, exchange fed cops and continue.  Not necessary anymore.  However, things change very quickly in Tamaulipas.

Just got back; 12 hours from SPI to Ajijic with stops. No problems, noticed 4 or 5 new Tams state police stations along the way and lots of State police, Federal police and National Guard out on patrol.

The closed border is a bit of a joke; didn't even see a person at Mexican Immigration at 6:45 AM; pulled up to the remote controlled arm, got a green light, the arm lifted and I went right through.

Crossing northbound at McAllen going up about 4 weeks was somewhat similar; 2 hour wait then the agent scanned our passports (my wife is US and I am Canadian) and only question was how much alcohol are we bringing into the US. I am guessing that CBP thinks increasing the wait time will minimize the non-essential crossings.