Chapala.com Webboard

End to Social Distancing

Referdude

The OP asked for opinions as to when Ajijic will return to 'normal'. My problem with asking that is 'how the hell could any of us answer that question with anything remotely akin to a reasonable thought'. We might as well ask when the sun might not rise in the morning. But he/she is certainly allowed to ask. 

Also I learned looooong ago to just dismiss anything that gringohombre puts on the table.... and then goes ballistic when his crazy comments get refuted. Fake news indeed. 2-weeks indeed. At least for the US, Bisbee Gal posted enough information to get a good feel for timelines. Mexico? Ajijic?  Who knows because there is just not enough reliable information as to what is happening and what might be coming down the pike. 

Other than several weeks ago when I think AMLO suggested that Mexico would be getting the Russian vaccine, has anyone got any better information as to what if anything might take place... and when?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RickS said:

The OP asked for opinions as to when Ajijic will return to 'normal'. My problem with asking that is 'how the hell could any of us answer that question with anything remotely akin to a reasonable thought'. We might as well ask when the sun might not rise in the morning. But he/she is certainly allowed to ask. 

Also I learned looooong ago to just dismiss anything that gringohombre puts on the table.... and then goes ballistic when his crazy comments get refuted. Fake news indeed. 2-weeks indeed. At least for the US, Bisbee Gal posted enough information to get a good feel for timelines. Mexico? Ajijic?  Who knows because there is just not enough reliable information as to what is happening and what might be coming down the pike. 

Other than several weeks ago when I think AMLO suggested that Mexico would be getting the Russian vaccine, has anyone got any better information as to what if anything might take place... and when?

Here is what I said: "These will be out there in a couple of weeks and there is enough stockpiled now to get the most vulnerable vaccinated first and then rolled out to the general population". I said "a couple of weeks" because I did not want to be nailed down here and sure enough it got translated to 2 weeks. There is no way for anyone here to know exactly when the feds will give the green light but let us say a "few weeks"...do you buy that? Do you also buy that there are STOCKPILES of the vaccines ready to go when that green light is lit? I do!!! Now, again, before the trolls come out, I am talking about the US, not México, as I made clear in my full post regarding all of this. 

The current population of the world is 7.8  BILLION and counting.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

The U.S. does not get ALL the vaccines produced everywhere and, even if it did, there is a huge shortfall for its own population. This is gonna take a while. I suggest everyone chill out and stay the course. Protect yourself and protect others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Upfront said:

that is okay. you can change the definitions any time you want during your arguments. to support your own arguments. because we are all morons and fall for anything you say

meantime please remind us what your new definition of STOCKPILE is.

Please do not try getting over on me, especially in writing, since for many years I owned and operated an Advertising Agency and have written, edited and produced innumerable radio and TV commercials.

I do not have a NEW definition, I am using the classic definition:

stock·pile
/ˈstäkˌpīl/
noun
a large accumulated stock of goods or materials, especially one held in reserve for use at a time of shortage or other emergency. 

21 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

A couple is TWO !!!

Please...I am not trying to get over on anybody, but as I said to the last person, I have to defend myself as a writer. Check with Sn. Google:

I asked "What is the meaning of a couple of something?"

ANSWER: Idiom, a couple of: more than two, but not many, of; a small number of; a few: It will take a couple of days for the package to get there.

If I wanted to say 2 I would have written that...I specifically used COUPLE because I did not want to specify a number that I was not sure of. Got it?

6 hours ago, Referdude said:

Real Facts are important, but they are in short supply.  Do I believe I will get any factual answer's?  I didn't ask for any factual information.  I asked for thoughts.

I wanted to hear from others.  But since the first three replies don't even attempt to share thoughts on my question, I will share some of my thoughts.  As an example.

Back in March, the experts talked about stopping the spread to help hospitals not max out.  And also talked about Herd Immunity.  You don't hear anymore about Herd Immunity, only lock downs.  In the US the Medical community has put a lot of hope on getting a vaccine.  But 50% of Americans have already said they won't get a vaccine.  So what's left?  It either dies out on its own, gets weaker.  But we havn't seen that yet. (Italy)  So maybe all thats left is Herd Immunity.

An example of Herd Immunity, is Idaho.  Idaho is near the top of the list nationally for new outbreaks per population/capita.  Idaho is looked down on for this designation.  But our hospitals are only at 50%.  And 5% of our ventilators are in use.  So with lots of new cases, hospitals are still in good shape.  Herd Immunity may be the short term anwser.  If the spread can be monitored and limited so as not to overload the hospitals, this could be the path to overcoming this pandemic.

So, the Ajijic Plaza, my original question:  If containing the spread in Lakeside is a success, then Herd Immunity will take a lot longer.  As the population tires of lockdowns, and starts to ignore them, Herd Immunity will prevale. (Like Idaho)

My Guess: 18 months

Just a thought.

"experts" say herd immunity wil not be the answer.

Reality:   Yes both Pfizer and Moderna have some vaccine already made/stockpiled. That's the good news. Hopefully there will be others who have a good vaccine in early 2021 but that is an unknown at this time.

BUT, since each of these companies product requires 2 shots to be given, the stockpile is actually half of what the number sounds like. AND.... at this point and through December and probably January.... the combined # of doses available in stock will NOT come close to vaccinating the Phase 1 group.... doctors, nurses, first responders etc etc.  They combined now only 35,000 dual doses stockpiled and the Phase 1 Group... even if only 50% of them choose to get vaccinated .... need 250,000 doses!!!  They hope to have millions of doses stockpiled into January and in all probability that is when the rollout can ramp up.

So much for your comment "enough stockpiled now to get the most vulnerable first and then rolled out to the general public".  FYI, there are 4 Phases for vaccine rollout. Your 'general public' is in Phase 4! That'll be way into 2021...hopefully by Spring. 

As for your 'couple of weeks' comment:  Even if we expand it to your new definition of "more than 2 but not many" and give you 4 actual weeks! it is still a fairy tale of unreasonable optimism. Neither of the companies have even YET asked for an emergency authorization; Moderna hasn't even yet provided any 'negative affects' documentation to the FDA.... they just wanted to get their name in the pot as they probably have a decent vaccine. 

GOT IT?!?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Upfront said:

musta been a pretty awful agency. and you forget. nowhere in your link does it use the word STOCKPILE. only YOU said that. only YOU made that up. give it up. GOT IT?????!!!!!

WHAAAAAT!!! I don't know why...but I will respond to you for the last time. The link referred to the timing. I got the other information regarding the STOCKPILING from other high quality, legitimate and numerous news sources. I am not in the business of making things up! Why don't you do your own research instead of trying to degenerate others?

"...enough stockpiled now to get the most vulnerable first and then rolled out to the general public".   A "couple of weeks maybe meaning more than 2"....

If THAT is not 'making things up' I don't know what a reasonable person would call it!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Referdude said:

The climate and socializing is probably the best thing about lakeside.  Anyone want to share your thoughts on when you think this

virus will be behind us.  When the Ajijic Plaza will look like it did last January?

You have opened up a real can of worms here on this web board.  The whole Covid thing is really getting old and so many are really tired of it.  No one really knows when this will all end.  I think there will be some who want to socialize no matter what.  How many?  It's a best guess.  I hope you don't get attacked too much for this question.

10 minutes ago, RickS said:

"...enough stockpiled now to get the most vulnerable first and then rolled out to the general public".   A "couple of weeks maybe meaning more than 2"....

If THAT is not 'making things up' I don't know what a reasonable person would call it!

Bringing back my all time muse Yogi Berra: "nobody knows nuthin' here". Lets just agree to that, however I gave my sources...where are yours? And yes, "a couple of weeks" can mean more than 2. Look it up!!!  

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51665497

By James Gallagher…BBC

Health and science correspondent

Published 5 hours ago

When will a vaccine become available?

Pfizer believes it will be able to supply 50 million doses worldwide by the end of this year, and about 1.3 billion by the end of 2021.

Herd Immunity:  To achieve herd immunity the % varies by disease but ranges from..... 83 to 94% of the population "being herded".... by either vaccination or having had the disease.

And remember, no one is quite sure YET with Covid-19 whether or how long immunity will last after contracting the virus. Some have reported having had it twice already. 

15 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Pfizer believes it will be able to supply 50 million doses worldwide by the end of this year, and about 1.3 billion by the end of 2021.

WORLDWIDE dude, WORLDWIDE. 

..... and I've actually been following Pfizer, Moderna and the WARP Speed government announcements, not the BBC (although I do like to watch BBC!).

29 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

NO, I don´t "GOT IT", either.  Your definitions are as confusing as you are.

Check with Sn. Google:

I asked "What is the meaning of a couple of something?"

ANSWER: Idiom, a couple of: more than two, but not many, of; a small number of; a few: It will take a couple of days for the package to get there.

There it is...Got it??? Don't have to take my word for it!!! What is confusing about that???

35 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Check with Sn. Google:

I asked "What is the meaning of a couple of something?"

ANSWER: Idiom, a couple of: more than two, but not many, of; a small number of; a few: It will take a couple of days for the package to get there.

There it is...Got it??? Don't have to take my word for it!!! What is confusing about that???

You´re right, everything you say and write, is perfectly correct, I don´t why I would even question it.  Just blame it on alcohol, drugs, old age, and a very low IQ (compared to yours)

¡ Mil perdones,  Señor !

50 millions dosis worldwide when the US has 320 milions people   is not a whole lot of vaccine.. The vaccine will be good but not for many months so do not hold your breath about all the masks and social distancing being over because there is a vacine Meanwhile people will get sick and many will die. 

• Thanks 2