Chapala.com Webboard

Newest $100 Peso bill

Mostlylost

Canadians also have very colorful billnotes too. Many Americans receiving them for the first time think it is play money. To make it more confusing, the Canadian Tire auto parts chain also prints a fairly accurate billnote for discounts.

I thought everything was going digital and trackable. I believe the U.S.A. still tries to track $1,000 bills, because they are many times involved in illegal activities. I have never seen one. I wouldn't know they were real or fake!

2 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Whatever happened to those 20 peso coins they were advertising that was coming right away?

w

I have yet to see a 20 peso coin.

I'm in Seattle, so I am going by memory here. but I seem to remember getting a  large 20 peso coin, maybe a year or two earlier and I put it in my old coin jar to save. If I were in Ajijic, I could look. It's one of those, I think I have one, kind of sort of memory, us old farts sometimes have.   In that jar I have an old 5 peso coin from maybe the 70s that is almost as large.

On another matter; I sure hope the medical folks start giving out Coronavirus vaccine shots soon. This hypochondriac is getting terribly bored up here in rainy Seattle. The second I get that shot or two, I will be making reservations to come home to Ajijic.

25 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Why would you be bored in a city as wonderful as Seattle, meantime we at Lakeside have just come out of a shut down session?

Because per recommendations and/or regulations I am staying in my condo 24/7. Except when shopping for food, picking up Rx's at the nearest pharmacy or checking my mail on the first floor of the building my condo is situated in. It's even being recommended that Thanksgiving get-togethers be canceled. No problem have a Thanksgiving dinner with those who live in your home but not with relatives and/or friends from other areas, be that area down the block or in another state.

5 hours ago, johanson said:

On another matter; I sure hope the medical folks start giving out Coronavirus vaccine shots soon.

Pete, sometimes hard to tell if you are just 'funning' but I'm pretty sure you aren't going to see that needle stuck in your arm until March-April time frame. Unless you have somehow became a 'first-responder' that you haven't shared with us.

4 minutes ago, johanson said:

Because per recommendations and/or regulations I am staying in my condo 24/7. Except when shopping for food, picking up Rx's at the nearest pharmacy or checking my mail on the first floor of the building my condo is situated in. It's even being recommended that Thanksgiving get-togethers be canceled. No problem have a Thanksgiving dinner with those who live in your home but not with relatives and/or friends from other areas, be that area down the block or in another state.

The grass is not greener on the other side of the fence Pete, and many of us natives are getting bored and restless

11 hours ago, johanson said:

I hope you are wrong Rick. I was thinking that us old folks get out shots right after the first responders, hospital workers, Doctors etc. and that might mean as soon as early January 2021.

Well, us older folks WILL come before our younger brethren but you are probably not understanding.... from all published reports.... just how monumental a task it will be to distribute all that vaccine throughout the United States. Your 'might mean' of early January 2021 is probably correct BUT only for the initial roll-out to docs, etc. And that will take a month or two before we begin to see anything at our local doctor and then into our arms.

The Pfizer vaccine has to be kept at -70C from production to the last few (5) days. They have a plan for roll-out into the US that does NOT include using the federal government's Operation Warp Speeds logistics plan.... they will use their own FedX and UPS contracts AND special 'boxes' with dry ice. These  will keep the vaccine viable for as long as the boxes are 'fed' dry ice.....and oh, BTW, dry ice is at a premium at this time and there aren't that many production facilities in existence due to low need for said. After being removed from those boxes the vaccine can 'survive' for up to 5 days at 0-5 degrees in refrigerators. Then it 'spoils'.   They 'think' they have enough boxes to get the roll-out started but just think of the process from there to your arm. AND you will need two of those shots to be effective....spaced 2 weeks apart. Just think of the nightmare that fact alone will present. "I need my second shot. Oh, we don't have any more because we ran out and did not get/save enough for your second shot". 

Anyway I apologize for this long off-topic rant. I just think folks like Pete are living in a dream world thinking that this is going to be quick and without significant hiccups and that we can all go back to living a normal life by Spring. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. Maybe by next winter. Maybe.

NOTE: As an update;  There is another(s) company, Moderna, whose vaccine is progressing through trials that is showing a 94% effective rate. Their vaccine does NOT require such severely low storage temps... theirs needs 'only' to be stored at 'regular' freezer temps of around 0 C and can last up to 6 months with that.... even higher temps for a shorter timeline. They suggest that they will/can have about 20 million doses ready by Jan. 2021 for the US.... even more worldwide.  This is very good news! Their vaccine is also a 2-dose vaccine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pete, if you are a health tracking fan check out this new health computer, packed into a discreet titanium band ring. So many things it can do, including early diagnosis of Covid, it was issued to every N.B.A. basketball player quarantined in "the bubble" Analysies sleep patterns, best time to totally relax or meditate, monitors your heart rate for a week with the same accuracy as an ECG. Other things too. It is from Finland, it costs $299. first step is a deposit, then they send you a ring sizing card for your order.

Called Ouraring.com. Many high praise reviews.