Chapala.com Webboard

How to get dumped furniture picked up

Mainecoons

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

You mean the guys on the municipal trash truck or the private guys?

What did you give them?

Trust me, this stuff isn't worth salvaging.

Never assume that it's not worth salvaging to someone...I once put out a microwave oven with a sign on it that said it was dangerous and had caught on fire (in both English and Spanish). It was gone in less than 20 minutes.  Even now, there are still folks that will rummage through the bags of garbage that we've left out for the scheduled pickup. Heck, if they find anything, good for them! 

My friend and neighbor once put a bunch of stuff out by the curb when he was getting ready to move. He had lived here with his wife and kids for a few years, then his wife decided she hated living in Mexico and moved back to Canada, but he had to stay because he had a construction company and was building houses- they weren't split up and did the long-distance relationship thing for a couple of years until he also moved back.. 

So when he put all that stuff out at the curb, there was stuff there that had belonged to his daughter that got left behind when she went back to Canada with Mom- toys and clothes she'd outgrown. I was pawing through the pile, grabbed a couple things I thought my grandkids would like playing with when they came to visit, then I came across a box with a little doll tea set that looked way too nice to give away- real porcelain and looked old. I brought it back in his house and asked him if he was sure it was okay with his daughter to give that away. He got a panicked look, and said "OMG, thank you. That was my wife's from when she was little girl- it's a family heirloom- I would have been in the doghouse for years if that had disappeared."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

You mean the guys on the municipal trash truck or the private guys?

What did you give them?

Trust me, this stuff isn't worth salvaging.

100 to 200 pesos for a ripped up fridge left out by my front door.  Not sure if I used the old trash man or the new ones sorry. 100 pesos for rotten old chair. 

Good Luck!