Chapala.com Webboard

Any YORKIE mommies to share help/ADVICE?

Any YORKIE mommies to share help/ADVICE? I am the proud 1st time mother of a 2 1/2 month old male Yorkie. Any advice on toilet training would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I live in Ajijic above the Ajijic Hospital Clinic. I have purchased 2 books from Amazon & their advice seems useless. HE IS A SWEETHEART yet his little bladder just does not seem to hold it very long.   I would love to buy you lunch and ask questions. Bring your furbaby with! Cindy 376-766-1708

Thanks in advance!

We recently rescued a puppy and she is about 9 weeks old now and weighs 3 kgs.  We've had her for almost 3 weeks.
Puppies do very few things - eat, sleep, play, go potty; Your task is every couple hours put the dog outside (or where ever you want them to do their business) - day and night.  Bladder control is a learned thing and it can take a long time to learn.
We re-enforce with ours by taking her out and telling her 'let's go outside and pee', 'time to go outside' or 'time to pee' then praise her when she does something.  She can go 3-4 hrs now before she needs to go out at night. When she is crated (there is a pee pad inside) she rarely does anything but gets really wriggly and wants to go outside when let out of her crate. She usually makes a beeline for the door to the yard.
Rule of thumb - always take the dog out after they wake up from a nap and a 1/2 hr - 1 hr after eating; otherwise every two hours; it's a routine that they will recognize. 

If an accident does happen we change our tone of voice so she knows it wasn't acceptable.  It is usually accompanied by a command of 'outside' and off she goes.

We leave our doors open during the day and the puppy wanders in and out as she pleases. She hasn't messed in the house in several days.

• Like 2

I just wrote a lengthy thank you but it got erased.  I am pooped.........no pun intended. YORKIES are known to have their own lengthy potty training situations. I OBVIOUSLY know and have done everything you mentioned but EACH home is different as is each PUP. My little superman puts down his business faster than superman. I am NOT a "WE" so chasing him is exhausting but I worth it. The doggy door gets installed tomorrow. My reason for posting is I have met Yorkie owners here in the past but do not have their contact info. 

The OP has made herself very clear. She does not want advice from people here. She wants to make contact with other Yorkie owners who view their dogs as their babies and having special needs owners of other breeds can not understand. If you are not one of those people please consider just scrolling on by. Or start a new thread about dog ownership in general. 

• Like 8

I am going to jump in anyway. Responsible small-breed dog breeders don't place their puppies until they are at least 12 weeks old. The time spent with mother dog and siblings is important. They learn puppy manners and beginning house breaking. Expect to have house training issues. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Joyinmexico said:

I would love to buy you lunch and ask questions. Bring your furbaby with!

Yup... that's what we all want around here.... more dogs inside restaurants 😠

Mtn Mama is right.....  potty training is not going to be fun. Mudgirl is also right....... but of course you don't really want to hear that. Going away now and not coming back here.  Enjoy your puppy.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Upfront said:

poor lady. all she wanted was a hookup and she gets to read all this holier crap.

Holier? No, I'm tired of the dog owners who think that their darling "fur baby" jumping up on people or other annoying dog behavior is adorable (Oh, he really likes you!) and forgivable because they see their dog not as a dog, but as their baby. Who think that Foofoo should be welcome everywhere that humans are. Who think dogs understand sentences like "Let's go outside and pee" when dog brains best understand and respond to simple one word commands or hand gestures.

Had dogs all my life. They're dogs, not babies, and I'm not their mommy. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

THANK YOU "UPFRONT"

WHERE DID I SAY WE WERE GOING TO EAT "in" a RESTAURANT? I, too, dislike animals in restaurants, especially birds,, cats and giant dogs, or multiple tiny pups!   Did you ever think I was planning on takeout?

What difference is it to anyone what I call myself or my puppy?

This website has become SO snarkey. I was just tying to connect with someone in a similar situation and I get verbally abused for that!

Thank you, the few who understand!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

Joy try the kennel training. Your puppy stays in the kennel  and youtake him out every hour forst then every two hours outside to do his business, praise him  play wth him outside and put him back in the kennel.. He will very quickly get the idea... Kennel traiing is the best . I have 5 dogs and they all love the kennel  and rarely have accident in their kennel. They quickly lear how to ask to go out. No matter what you do you have to be consistent.. Your got your pippu very young which makes it more difficult but he soo will get t. patience and consistency are the key.

• Like 3