Chapala.com Webboard

A worthy cause!

#HarryB

The pandemic has caused so many unanticipated horrors!

You may or may not be aware of our Technical College on the Libramento. It prepares and certifys youths for high paying secure technical employment and houses over 1200 students a year. However, this year, while it is normal for students to work while attending school and thus being able to pay their tuition, this year there are so few jobs that 364 students  will have to drop out due to the inability to pay the $125 dollar/ semester tuition. If you can sponsor a student, I can supply you with a name / foto/ and major of the sponsored student. If we can do this for pets, why not students?

PM me and I will supply a paypal account for dollar donations to a friend.

• Like 1

If you pay in US dollars to a PayPal account of a friend you have to wonder where the money is really going. As the exchange rate changes daily how would you know if  $125 US  is too little or to much..?  I don’t use PayPal but they must charge a fee for their service, so who pays the fees..?

Why not go directly to the Technical College ask for a list of students, pick one and pay in pesos, you might even be able to use your credit card.

• Like 1

I quote in dollars because Paypal charges a fee for pesos. We go to the bank and convert on the spot . I stand behind all donations. I will go and pay the tuition personally. The list of the 364 will be provided by a committee of well respected Mexicans in conjunction with the College Director.

Harry, how are you able to pay for the student?  I am on Board of the charity University Vocational Assistance (UVA).   We are told by the school that " a third person cannot pay for a student — they must do it themselves through the bank with their id and full information." We deal directly with the school every semester getting grades, etc. for our students but we cannot pay for the student directly ourselves.

BTW to all I have donated to support a student. There are as of this moment, 30 students  in the process of being supported. If you would like to support a student and would like to use pesos, you can drop an envelope at Manix restaurant with your name, email, phone and tech. Hector can also pickup if necessary. The director will pick your needy student from those who can't pay next semester's tuition. 

On 11/8/2020 at 8:44 AM, #HarryB said:

The pandemic has caused so many unanticipated horrors!

You may or may not be aware of our Technical College on the Libramento. It prepares and certifys youths for high paying secure technical employment and houses over 1200 students a year. However, this year, while it is normal for students to work while attending school and thus being able to pay their tuition, this year there are so few jobs that 364 students  will have to drop out due to the inability to pay the $125 dollar/ semester tuition. If you can sponsor a student, I can supply you with a name / foto/ and major of the sponsored student. If we can do this for pets, why not students?

PM me and I will supply a paypal account for dollar donations to a friend.

I am quite sure Hector Espana of Manix Restaurant is already collecting for this particular cause and has already raised quite a bit of money.  He is doing it via Facebook.  I am saying this just so people are aware.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, EldonNova said:

I am quite sure Hector Espana of Manix Restaurant is already collecting for this particular cause and has already raised quite a bit of money.  He is doing it via Facebook.  I am saying this just so people are aware.

Yes. More than one person may be collecting for a cause. They use different ways of reaching out to different audiences. Are you saying only one person can be collecting donations for these young people? Are you saying all the money has been collected already and no more is needed? Are you saying Harry is doing something wrong? Please clarify what you mean here. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, EldonNova said:

Eldon, you directed this comment to Harry B.  FYI, Harry is helping Hector coordinate this project.  In fact it is Harry's Paypal account to which the funds are sent (not just for this project, but for others Hector and Harry are involved with).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Yes. More than one person may be collecting for a cause. They use different ways of reaching out to different audiences. Are you saying only one person can be collecting donations for these young people? Are you saying all the money has been collected already and no more is needed? Are you saying Harry is doing something wrong? Please clarify what you mean here. 

FYI, Harry is helping Hector coordinate this project.  In fact it is Harry's Paypal account to which the funds are sent (not just for this project, but for others Hector and Harry are involved with).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xena said:

No I am not saying only one person can collect.  I just wanted to let people know there is another method of donating to this cause, just in case people need another alternative to donate rather than via paypal.  Should have mentioned that in my post.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, EldonNova said:

No I am not saying only one person can collect.  I just wanted to let people know there is another method of donating to this cause, just in case people need another alternative to donate rather than via paypal.  Should have mentioned that in my post.

You can take cash to Manix Restaurant.  Or call Hector and he will arrange pickup at your home.  

• Like 1

Bisbee Girl, thank you for helping me keep people informed. You are absolutely right. Pesos can be dropped off at Manix with Donor, email, phone and Technico We have over 60 students paid for and both the mayor and congressman have seen the effort and will be contributing too. Oh Happy Day! I've been up since 5 a.m. working on spreadsheets!

If you need pickup call Hector at  331 065 0725. He's being run off his feet so dropoff is preferred.

• 3 weeks later...

We have met our goal and the money is in the bank awaiting delivery to the voc college. We are working on the spreadsheet assigning students to donors. Thanks to all who helped. For more information see the videos and fotos on the facebook page Chapala EXPAT Liaison. Again thanks to all The Mayor , Congressman and Director expressed their gratitude to the Expat  community for this amazing gesture!

• Thanks 4