Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

The short answer is - it depends.

The trip could be about 5 hours but it depends on if you are finishing nearer to Nuevo Vallarta or the other side of town near Costco.

I drive to Guayabitos frequently and we've generally made it there in under 4 hours. It's about another hour 10 to the airport depending on traffic and construction.

There are 2 tolls on the macrolibramiento. If you begin driving to Joco there's only 1 which is $187. There's one beyond Tequila at $195. The Jala-Compostela bypass has been closed all summer due to taludes which means the mountain fell down again. Until reopened you have to drive to Chapalilla and take the old toll road which no longer has a toll. The other booth in Compostela has been occupied by protesters and thugs for months demanding money to pass so that cost is variable.

Hwy 200 was shut down several times during the summer due to excessive rain which sometimes forced people to drive to Tepic down the coast road to San Blas before exiting at Las Varas. That shouldn't be a problem now but at that time it added 4 hours to the trip.

There's also the route through Mascota. Someone else would have to comment about it but there are many old posts available.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Driving through Mascota is about the same timing although it is shorter mileage-wise. Depending on where you start from... if you go through Jocotopec... there are no tolls but a little bit more tedious drive as one is on 2-lane and goes through several towns and agricultural areas; pretty 'tho and worth the drive at least once. Comes out right at the airport.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Shrall said:

it depends on if you are finishing nearer to Nuevo Vallarta or the other side of town near Costco.

Haha- Costco isn't on the "other side of town" in PV, unless you're one of those gringos who really doesn't know PV and only goes to PV to go to Costco and Home Depot. Costco is on the north side of PV- the real PV, downtown, the malecon, and old town, is south of that. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I tried going via Mascota and returning on the toll roads. I will go via Mascota both ways next time, less a-holes to deal with and saving 292 pesos each way.

Same here, no contest.  Have been using the Mascota highway the last 5 or 6 years.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved the drive using the Mascota highway but my husband hated it:/ The brakes on our Ram 3/4 diesel pickup over heated and we had to sit for a while to let them cool off. Still so much better drive than the craziness it is currently the other way:/ 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2020 at 3:52 PM, John Shrall said:

The short answer is - it depends.

The trip could be about 5 hours but it depends on if you are finishing nearer to Nuevo Vallarta or the other side of town near Costco.

I drive to Guayabitos frequently and we've generally made it there in under 4 hours. It's about another hour 10 to the airport depending on traffic and construction.

There are 2 tolls on the macrolibramiento. If you begin driving to Joco there's only 1 which is $187. There's one beyond Tequila at $195. The Jala-Compostela bypass has been closed all summer due to taludes which means the mountain fell down again. Until reopened you have to drive to Chapalilla and take the old toll road which no longer has a toll. The other booth in Compostela has been occupied by protesters and thugs for months demanding money to pass so that cost is variable.

Hwy 200 was shut down several times during the summer due to excessive rain which sometimes forced people to drive to Tepic down the coast road to San Blas before exiting at Las Varas. That shouldn't be a problem now but at that time it added 4 hours to the trip.

There's also the route through Mascota. Someone else would have to comment about it but there are many old posts available.

Nuevo Vallarta is in the state of Nayarit to the north of the Rio Ameca. Costco is south of Rio Ameca in the state of Jalisco closer to Puerto Vallarta. The road from Mascota comes out on the south side of the Rio Ameca.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2020 at 7:07 PM, AngusMactavish said:

I tried going via Mascota and returning on the toll roads. I will go via Mascota both ways next time, less a-holes to deal with and saving 292 pesos each way.

A round trip via Mascota costs me 700 pesos less in savings on tolls and gasoline.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have wanted to try the mascota route for years. I have heard it was a bit rough. I have driven part way from the PV side.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

It varies from year to year depending on rainy season damage.

... and typically that damage is around Mascota heading towards PV. Typical Mexican road building in the mountains. They 'fix' it, the rainy season 'un-fixes' it. That stretch however is only a "few" miles.... maybe 25?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...