Chapala.com Webboard

Walmart

artsnob

Rules and unintended consequences.

My house water pump went out late yesterday. All of the plumbing stores are closed this weekend by government mandate so no way to get the little part to make the repair until Monday. Fortunately we have a pool to deal with toilets but we'll have to mooch a shower from a neighbor.

And to add insult to injury our neighborhood hasn't received any water for 2 weeks. The pipas have been working overtime the last few days filling empty aljibes. Even today meaning SIMAPA isn't part of the weekend shutdown.

Edit: Scratch that. I went outside and find the latest pipa truck is from a private service. I asked him if he was busy and what was the problem. He said yes he was very busy and that a pump in a well burned up a couple of weeks ago. I then asked if he knew why it was taking so long to repair or replace the pump. He just shrugged and said Viva México.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

Rules and unintended consequences.

My house water pump went out late yesterday. All of the plumbing stores are closed this weekend by government mandate so no way to get the little part to make the repair until Monday. Fortunately we have a pool to deal with toilets but we'll have to mooch a shower from a neighbor.

And to add insult to injury our neighborhood hasn't received any water for 2 weeks. The pipas have been working overtime the last few days filling empty aljibes. Even today meaning SIMAPA isn't part of the weekend shutdown.

Edit: Scratch that. I went outside and find the latest pipa truck is from a private service. I asked him if he was busy and what was the problem. He said yes he was very busy and that a pump in a well burned up a couple of weeks ago. I then asked if he knew why it was taking so long to repair or replace the pump. He just shrugged and said Viva México.

Just when you think the administration has its hands around a problem, this type failure happens, and time to fix is pathic, inexcusable and more like living in  a 3rdor 4 th world

I guess as long as labor cost remain low there is no incentive to change old habits. It is amazaing how much incoviennce "forieners" are prepared to put up with to live cheap, cheap, cheap

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Just when you think the administration has its hands around a problem, this type failure happens, and time to fix is pathic, inexcusable and more like living in  a 3rdor 4 th world

I guess as long as labor cost remain low there is no incentive to change old habits. It is amazaing how much incoviennce "forieners" are prepared to put up with to live cheap, cheap, cheap

Maybe you should offer to pay more property tax..  You can’t have it both ways, pay very little in property tax and get good service...

19 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Maybe you should offer to pay more property tax..  You can’t have it both ways, pay very little in property tax and get good service...

Property taxes are considerably higher adjusted for inflation (pesos) then they were 10 years ago when we got pretty good service from local government.  Potholes were fixed regularly, we had a standing crew of Chapala workers who kept the trash swept up, the Malecon was maintained. 

SIMAPA rates  when one takes into account one has to take what they deliver and spend significant money storing, it, treating it and pressurizing it are hardly cheap.  Fully treated and pressurized water cost us a lot less in NM than they do here after factoring in those costs.  And the water never went off.

That's one of those definition of insanity ideas, that our government services will at least rise to what they were 10 years ago if only we give them more money.  The problem here is not money, the problem is competence and corruption and between some administrations, wholesale theft. 

The fact that Ajijic doesn't receive even close to the quality and level of services its rather considerable tax base warrants.  But our taxes have done some pretty nice stuff in Chapala lately so we can at least enjoy visiting them there.  :D 

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

Property taxes in Mexico do not supply any services. All administration and the services are funded by the federal government by SAT taxes and IVA taxes. If any government [federal, state, municipal] ups property taxes unduly it is a violation of the Mexican Constitution which has a "Patrimonio clause" giving the poorest families the right that they will be able to pay their yearly property taxes to keep their property for themself and their heirs. If you pay more it will go into the coffers of the local government to spend as they like.

• Like 2

I guess you did not understand what you read.. The hardwre stores were closed because of the government order.. I had a man coming to work today and he could not work because his material was at the hardwarestore and it was closed.. Hardware stores are usually open on Saturday mornng, in case you did not know.

It seems as though some people want the government to deal effectively with Covid19 while their lives go on exactly the same with no changes or  inconveniences for them. And, pretty much whatever measures the government takes are wrong, misguided, or stupid. 

• Like 3

I don't believe the government should be forcing any store or business to be closing down outside of normal operating hours unless they are prepared to hand out stimulus checks to make up for their lose of business.  Wrecking the economy will not erradicate or reduce the virus, it is only a game of cat and mouse.  The virus has been here since last December and apparently is here to stay just like the common flu is always present.  No amount of vaccines, face mask wearing is going to get rid of this virus.  It needs to run its course and normalize like the flu had to do.  These new measures will do nothing for the virus but they will certainly help to further impoverish our neighbors and community.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Xena said:

It seems as though some people want the government to deal effectively with Covid19 while their lives go on exactly the same with no changes or  inconveniences for them. And, pretty much whatever measures the government takes are wrong, misguided, or stupid. 

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned of you look at how the Canadian,USA and Mexico government are tackling the SAME problem?..or not

50 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

I guess that some of you great thinkers would not like to be in Germany now which due to a huge spike like here has closed the WHOLE COUNTRY DOWN FOR 4 WEEKS BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE HERE HAVE NOT BEEN RESPONSIBLE THEMSELVES-eh! We are lucky to have a thinker as presidente in Jalisco.

Sadly Pedro he is a lone voice in the wilderness and seems not to have support of President Amlo