Chapala.com Webboard

Walmart

artsnob

Original reports from Jalisco FB page specifically state:

-tiendas departamentales (Liverpool, palacio de hierro, suburbia): hasta las 7pm entre semana y fin de semana cerrados.
-soriana, costco, walmart, fresko, city market: abren de lunes a viernes hasta las 8pm.

A little more difficult to figure out from this link.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fbotondeemergencia.jalisco.gob.mx%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR0yXi9XQqEzJQxeB8wQtz5MQm_m4_dyckaEPgQrNxIVnvWEwo-Oyv6-hcw

21 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Original reports from Jalisco FB page specifically state:

-tiendas departamentales (Liverpool, palacio de hierro, suburbia): hasta las 7pm entre semana y fin de semana cerrados.
-soriana, costco, walmart, fresko, city market: abren de lunes a viernes hasta las 8pm.

A little more difficult to figure out from this link.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fbotondeemergencia.jalisco.gob.mx%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR0yXi9XQqEzJQxeB8wQtz5MQm_m4_dyckaEPgQrNxIVnvWEwo-Oyv6-hcw

I **think** the quote about 8pm is from before the button was pushed and was part of the "warning."  I don't see any 8pm times referenced in the final info that is at the Jalisco site now.   Probably whichever closing time is correct will be posted today or tomorrow at Walmart, etc.  

29 minutes ago, ibarra said:

We just left Walmart.  Each of us went through different check out lanes.  Each cashier told us that Walmart would be closed the next 2 weekends.  So...

Yes, the same here, this morning the cashier at Walmart told me there were closing the next two weekends however the Governor’s message says grocery stores can remain open.  It’s confusing.  

3797B7B5-8705-44E4-8B38-F9A788158256.jpeg

2 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

It always makes more sense to shorten the hours so more and more people will be forced to shop together at the same times.  Maybe, they can bring the lines back where you are forced to stand directly in front of or directly behind a cougher for 5 or 10 mins while you wait to enter, surely you won't get Covid that way.

Ding, ding, ding.  Give that man the Cupie Doll.

The definition of insanity is....  :D 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Walmart is not required to close.  If they have decided to close for their own reasons Soriana should have a busy weekend

I can't seem to find anything online that says that. Everything (what little there is) seems to point at department stores closing for the weekend at 8pm on Friday night.

As a guest in Mexico, I'm glad to follow the relevant restrictions it implements. I just wish those restrictions were communicated a bit more clearly. It doesn't appear to be solely a translation issue, either; I know of several people who are locals and/or fluent in Spanish who are similarly uncertain.

Neighbors have just returned from Walmart and are telling me that every 15 minutes they are broadcasting in English that they will be closed from Friday evening until Monday morning. They asked an employee who told them they have been ordered by the government to close for the next two weekends.  

I'm sure Walmart would stay open if they were legally allowed to; they aren't in the business of turning away customers.

My guess is they are deemed by the State, a Department Store, not a Grocery Store.  If you were to do the math by square footage, their food section is not even half their floor space.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sorn said:

As a guest in Mexico, I'm glad to follow the relevant restrictions it implements. I just wish those restrictions were communicated a bit more clearly. It doesn't appear to be solely a translation issue, either; I know of several people who are locals and/or fluent in Spanish who are similarly uncertain.

Really, it's Mexico. It's much more difficult here to have that kind of infrastructure. But if one buys the local's papers and has cable TV or listens to the radio, or gets news on a cell phone, or Facebook, or lives in Guadalajara, one can see that there is lots of info being disseminated.

As a side note, having WalMart blare it every 15 minutes pretty much covers it for me.

This article includes quotes from Alfaro, specifically mentioning Walmart.  https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fjalisco.quadratin.com.mx%2Fprincipal%2Fsupermercados-de-jalisco-cerraran-los-proximos-2-fines-de-semana%2F

Walmart is NOT allowed to open on these 2 weekends.

I have included the translated quote, here. 

GUADALAJARA, Jal., October 28, 2020.- During the 14 days that the Covid 19 Emergency Button will last in Jalisco, the only businesses that may operate on weekends are the traditional neighborhood stores, with the aim of promoting local consumption, explained the governor of Jalisco, Enrique Alfaro.  “In a neighborhood the cream shop or the neighborhood butcher shop can operate, but the large supermarkets will not open, the Walmart or the Sorianas will not open, on weekends those activities are suspended..."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Of course they would stay open if they could. Some people spend to much time on the computer replying to every post regardless of the subject, instead of getting out in the real world...

I suppose anyone trying to gain entrance to Walmart THIS Saturday or Sunday.....

could be considered....MOSTLY LOST .........😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

Really, it's Mexico. It's much more difficult here to have that kind of infrastructure. But if one buys the local's papers and has cable TV or listens to the radio, or gets news on a cell phone, or Facebook, or lives in Guadalajara, one can see that there is lots of info being disseminated.

As a side note, having WalMart blare it every 15 minutes pretty much covers it for me.

Yeah, really. A lot of information is disseminated: some of it accurate, most of it muddled, and the rest plain wrong. If pressed, one might point to this thread as evidence. I'm glad WalMart announced what it is doing this weekend. Throughout this entire Covid thing, however, the communication in general has been problematic.