Chapala.com Webboard

Day of the Dead- Monarch Butterfly Migration to Michoacán, México

AngusMactavish

On the way back from Mexico I understand that Texas is a/the stop... it is where the 'current' generation propagate and die off. The normal lifespan of these butterflies is about 2 weeks except for the ones that migrate down and the ones that migrate back. Isn't nature amazing!?!

Thanks Angus. I'm kinda tearing up here and remembering. I obviously have a soft spot for Monarchs (that's my hand in my avatar) and remember our trip in 1998 to the butterfly sanctuary as being one of the most spiritual experiences I've ever had. Nothing but the sigh of the wind through the trees and the sound of a billion butterfly wings.

At the celebration of life in northern Ontario one year after my hubby's passing, my daughter-in-law provided each of us with a live Monarch which we released into the wild. We also planted milkweed seeds... and the Monarchs come back year after year and are multiplying. It is very comforting to think of these butterflies as the souls of the dead and the connection between Mexico and Canada.

• Like 6

Here in Oklahoma, my tribe the Chickasaws, has planted a garden of milkweed just for the Monarchs.  It is a shame how many are killed each year by cars during their migration.  I use to clean the milkweed out of my pastures because cows don't eat it but now I leave it for the monarchs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

Thanks Angus. I'm kinda tearing up here and remembering. I obviously have a soft spot for Monarchs (that's my hand in my avatar) and remember our trip in 1998 to the butterfly sanctuary as being one of the most spiritual experiences I've ever had. Nothing but the sigh of the wind through the trees and the sound of a billion butterfly wings.

At the celebration of life in northern Ontario one year after my hubby's passing, my daughter-in-law provided each of us with a live Monarch which we released into the wild. We also planted milkweed seeds... and the Monarchs come back year after year and are multiplying. It is very comforting to think of these butterflies as the souls of the dead and the connection between Mexico and Canada.

What a wonderful post!

3 hours ago, daisy2013 said:

If I recall it takes several generations to reach Mexico and to return North also.  It is in their genes

My research says what I posted.... 'normal' lifespan is short BUT the two migration trips are started/completed by one generation each. Whatever the actual fact, the whole thing is a marvel.