Chapala.com Webboard

Time change. Anyone else surprised?

dcstroker

23 minutes ago, dcstroker said:

Woke up this morning and noticed that the time on my computer was an hour behind and that our phones were also behind. So far everyone we talked to was also unaware.

It's wise to pay attention to things in this country so that you won't be surprised by such a simple thing that happens every year. Nothing was behind  for the vast majority of us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Time changes twice a year, every year.  Same in U.S. and probably Canada as well as most of the world.

We check the first of the year to see when time will change in the Spring and in the Fall.  Then, mark it on a calendar/agenda for future use.  We also mark the dates the time changes in the U.S. as we watch television programs and sporting events that will start at a different time due to the fact the two countries aren't in sync. 

FYI 

From National Geographic (copied and pasted directly with no additions or corrections):

By Erin Blakemore

PUBLISHED November 1, 2019

In 1895, George Hudson, an entomologist from New Zealand, came up with the modern concept of daylight saving time. He proposed a two-hour time shift so he’d have more after-work hours of sunshine to go bug hunting in the summer.

Seven years later, British builder William Willett (the great-great grandfather of Coldplay frontman Chris Martin) independently hit on the idea while out horseback riding. He proposed it to England’s Parliament as a way to prevent the nation from wasting daylight. His idea was championed by Winston Churchill and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle—but was initially rejected by the British government. Willett kept arguing for the concept up until his death in 1915.

In 1916, two years into World War I, the German government started brainstorming ways to save energy.

“They remembered Willett’s idea of moving the clock forward and thus having more daylight during working hours,” explains David Prerau, author of Seize the Daylight: The Curious and Contentious Story of Daylight Saving Time. “While the British were talking about it year after year, the Germans decided to do it more or less by fiat.”

Soon, England and almost every other country that fought in World War I followed suit. So did the United States: On March 9, 1918, Congress enacted its first daylight saving law—and it was a two-fer: In addition to saving daylight, the Standard Time Act defined time zones in the U.S.

In those days, coal power was king, so people really did save energy (and thus contribute to the war effort) by changing their clocks.

5 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I pity those that are slaves to the clock. 

clipart-clock-animated-gif-11.gif

There's all sorts of reasons someone needs know accurately what time it is that have nothing to do with being a "slave to the clock". My 3 daughters and I live in 4 different time zones. I have to call them when I won't disturb them at work, at the time they put the kids to bed, or wake them up.

Then there's Dr. and dentist appts, knowing what time stores close and open so you don't make a trip out shopping for nothing, and not leaving others waiting when you've made plans together, etc.

If your life is such that you never need to know what time it is, you're a lucky man. Or undependable 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Your sale phone  and computer  will automatically  change depending on where it is loaded/bought.

I still have a  iPad on western  time

Huh. My iPad was bought in the U.S. I chose which time setting I wanted it to be on in “Settings” and it has automatically changed to the correct time twice each year for eight years.

5 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Your sale phone  and computer  will automatically  change depending on where it is loaded/bought.

I still have a  iPad on western  time

So you have no idea how to change the time zone on your devices and think there's a time zone called "Western Time".  Hmmm.

• Haha 1

It should not have been a surprise. If it was, you might want to consider the bubble in which you are living. (Unless like Angus you never have any need to know the time for any reason and simply drift along disconnected from other humans and their slavish adherence to time.) 

• Haha 2