Chapala.com Webboard

Need to furnish a home....

We'd like to furnish a 2-brdm/2 bath home with traditional or ranchito-style furniture, comfortable of course. Short of obvious lakeside furniture stores in town or GDL, any suggestions for finding locally made furniture on the lake and even gently used furniture and household items?

Where did you find the furniture and household items you have and like?

Muchas gracias!   🇲🇽  💰

There is not one thing in my house that was bought new with the exception of kitchen appliances, electronics and bed. I enjoy the hunt through the many bazaars in the area. Many of the bazaars are in Riberas but I also like the one just down the street (south) from Actinver and the farmacia de Guadalajara. Good luck finding comfortable ranchito style furnishings to sit on. When and if you get over that, try IB Furniture in San Antonio. Their store is small but if you don't see what you're looking for, they also have an extensive catalogue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2020 at 8:42 AM, Ferret said:

Many of the bazaars are in Riberas but I also like the one just down the street (south) from Actinver and the farmacia de Guadalajara.

Ferret, we'll give that a start. We didn't know bazaars carried furnishings, and good to hear about IB furniture, we just noticed them yesterday next to Sunrise. As RickS said, maybe the ranchito-style we had in mind will become more about color than style!! LOL!!  😁

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 7:52 AM, Jubilacion said:

We'd like to furnish a 2-brdm/2 bath home with traditional or ranchito-style furniture, comfortable of course. Short of obvious lakeside furniture stores in town or GDL, any suggestions for finding locally made furniture on the lake and even gently used furniture and household items?

Where did you find the furniture and household items you have and like?

Muchas gracias!   🇲🇽  💰

More accurate to call the furniture rustico and colonial revival. We use equipale seating on our patio it's quite comfortable if it's well stuffed and so are love seats, couches and chairs made here so don't let anybody talk you out of what you want. we used the same loveseat for 13 years to watch TV on. You will have fun searching out what you want unless you're into instant gratification. A few fotos of what we have/had.

bed and commodes.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

done.jpg

chest o' drawers and mirror.jpg

rustico tables  equipale couch.jpg

entertainment unit a.jpg

chair after (2).jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I know lots of people love the heavily carved stuff, but I don't because it's hard to clean all the accumulated dust from between all that carving. You can find rustic furniture with smooth surfaces, too, and that's what I prefer.

The heavily carved pieces are colonial revival and rustico is not. In any event ,our maid has no trouble giving the carved pieces a whack with her feather duster. Any other parade you wish to rain on?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

The heavily carved pieces are colonial revival and rustico is not. In any event ,our maid has no trouble giving the carved pieces a whack with her feather duster. Any other parade you wish to rain on?

To each his own. I said nothing about it not being nice looking. I simply expressed my preference of furniture and why. And I don't need a lecture on furniture styles. How nice that you have a maid so you never have to clean anything yourself. If you did, you might understand my preference and that it often requires more than a whack with a feather duster. Some of us actually wash things down occasionally.

The OP said he was looking for "ranchito style" by which I assume he means rustic.

You didn't start this thread and I wasn't responding to you. Not everything's about you, you know. 

We're into comfort so we furnished our house with items from Liverpool, Tutto Pelle, IB Furniture and a furniture factory store in Ocotlan. There are many out there. We also had our dining room set made by Muebles Rusticos. They used to be in Riberas but have since moved. I think they are on the road east of Chapala.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mudgirl said:

To each his own. I said nothing about it not being nice looking. I simply expressed my preference of furniture and why. And I don't need a lecture on furniture styles. How nice that you have a maid so you never have to clean anything yourself. If you did, you might understand my preference and that it often requires more than a whack with a feather duster. Some of us actually wash things down occasionally.

The OP said he was looking for "ranchito style" by which I assume he means rustic.

You didn't start this thread and I wasn't responding to you. Not everything's about you, you know. 

Nor is everything about you but the OP wants what they called ranchito and  as a retired picker of antiques and folk art furniture maker which is quite similar to the 2 Mexican traditional styles I mentioned,I merely tried to help them including with pictures of the 2 styles all of which I bought unpainted and then did that myself. If you wash any of it with water you would totally destroy it. For that matter, unless the finish on anything wood is Urethane, you would destroy that too. I use an  expensive imported wax over my paint work and have clearly told my maid to NEVER  even use a damp cloth on any of it which also goes for the 200+ year old antiques in original or restored finish, which we have in the house. I was inspired to make this storage bench by a foto of a spanish, colonial revival, long bench.

best bench.jpg

finished.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AndyPanda said:

My place is sort of rustico; sort of ranchito; sort of not. Everything purchased here or made to order. It's a great country for furniture styles.

And a lot of it beautifully handcrafted for what I consider ridiculous low prices. I was going to make all our furniture when we got here but was so impressed with some of the maestros,that I ended up only making a few things myself.

Yes, the prices are what really got me. No matter how I try not to, I still slip into the "you know what that would cost back home?" mentality every now and then.

I'm going to say also that when I started, I didn't have a real understanding of the different meanings of the words ranchito, rustico, and others. So I'm thinking giving some posters here a little leeway might be in order.

11 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Yes, the prices are what really got me. No matter how I try not to, I still slip into the "you know what that would cost back home?" mentality every now and then.

I'm going to say also that when I started, I didn't have a real understanding of the different meanings of the words ranchito, rustico, and others. So I'm thinking giving some posters here a little leeway might be in order.

Just trying to be helpful with style names is all. As to price here vs. NOB,the furnishings available through specialty dealers at HUGELY obscene mark ups. We are so lucky to be at or near the source.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Pedro you obviou sly know your trade, where did you find "good" seasoned lumber?

Some of it was salvaged old lumber but the pine that I use is not and I  do the best I can with it. This I made from a lumber yard purchase and "touch wood" after 3+ years has remained stable. The pine here is similar to the NOB  south east yellow pine which is hard as a rock and difficult to carve. I use my jointer to prepare it.

finished.jpg

a scutting in half.jpg

Just now, mudgirl said:

I've been damp wiping my natural wood non-urethaned furniture all my life and nothing has been destroyed.

Sure you have-SNORK! i made a living at what I  speak of and you haven't so you are wasting your typing arguing with me about the care of wood. And worst of all some people might follow  your false and destructive advice simply because you like to argue with me on almost everything I post. How helpful you are.

• Haha 1

ROTFLMAO! I suspect that you haven't done much cleaning in your life Pedro. We're not talking wet cloth, we're talking damp cloth. It works and I have also been doing it all my cleaning life as well. If it's not damp, it just pushes the dust around and defeats the entire purpose. Old fashioned dusters just put the dust back into the air and then it resettles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/29/2020 at 1:55 PM, Ferret said:

ROTFLMAO! I suspect that you haven't done much cleaning in your life Pedro. We're not talking wet cloth, we're talking damp cloth. It works and I have also been doing it all my cleaning life as well. If it's not damp, it just pushes the dust around and defeats the entire purpose. Old fashioned dusters just put the dust back into the air and then it resettles.

Sorry to disappoint your theory that I have not done much cleaning of furniture. I have 55+ years experience with antiques and wipe the dust off with a DRY SOFT CLOTH gently.  I have shown our maid how to do this with our antique and folk art furniture. I wipe this table I  made for my mother every night before we sit at it for happy hour and use coasters for our drinks. Yes it gets horribly dusty everyday and if I used a damp cloth her calligraphy initials which I  did by hand and are protected by Bri-Wax would be long gone. ROLL ON THE FLOOR ALL YOU WANT.

moms table 1a.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Sure you have-SNORK! i made a living at what I  speak of and you haven't so you are wasting your typing arguing with me about the care of wood.

Must be nice to go through life considering yourself infallible. Sort of the antithesis of being open to other ways of doing things and learning, though. 

And you're calling me a liar because my experience has been different from yours? So charming.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1