Chapala.com Webboard

Is fiber optics coming to or already in Chapala?

bdmowers

I live in El Parque in San Antonio and they have installed it in the development. They are now in the process of running cable to each house. It's turning out to be quite a task. We don't have it yet. Some people do.

Yesterday I signed up with IFIBRA (fiber optic). They have an office in Chapala, I think the street name where their office is located is lopez cotilla. They have several packages available. For 490 MXP I will get internet 8 MG and 150 TV channels (in Spanish). Unfortunately, they are very busy and will need to wait over 2 weeks before they can connect me.

I have iFibra, internet only, in the Lourdes area of West Chapala in addition to Telmex. Telmex goes down so often and I switch between them. A few months ago Telmex was out for a month and trying to get a tech out to check was beyond frustrating. IFibra goes down too, but usually one or the other is working. I have no problem streaming Netflix on iFibra.

2 hours ago, dencol said:

Gringohombre, ilox speed is all over the place, for $340.00 I get 150 down and 67 upload using a net work cable. WiFi I run through a Linksys router and get 107 download and 45 upload.

As a tech geek (not) all I know that at my rate of about $600 a month I am getting a steady 80 - 90 download into my desktop computer (do not know upload since I do not use this much). Do not understand how you are getting better speeds for a lower price...what do you mean by "using a net work cable? And someone also questioned if this is fiber optic...I am assuming it is since I was getting 2 - 3 download with the Telmex phone line wire system. 

6 hours ago, losgatos said:

I have iFibra, internet only, in the Lourdes area of West Chapala in addition to Telmex. Telmex goes down so often and I switch between them. A few months ago Telmex was out for a month and trying to get a tech out to check was beyond frustrating. IFibra goes down too, but usually one or the other is working. I have no problem streaming Netflix on iFibra.

I am in Lourdes and my Telmex hardly ever goes down and when it does it doesn't last long enough to be a bother. We watch an Amazon movie most nights and have Vonage VOIP no problema.

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

As a tech geek (not) all I know that at my rate of about $600 a month I am getting a steady 80 - 90 download into my desktop computer (do not know upload since I do not use this much). Do not understand how you are getting better speeds for a lower price...what do you mean by "using a net work cable? And someone also questioned if this is fiber optic...I am assuming it is since I was getting 2 - 3 download with the Telmex phone line wire system. 

By "net work cable" he means plugging in directly to the iLox box using an ethernet cable, as differentiated from his WiFi speed from the same iLox box.

iLox is strictly fiber optic. The majority of Telmex is still not. In terms of who is getting what speeds, in different areas, only iLox can tell you for sure. And it is doubtful that they would.

7 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

By "net work cable" he means plugging in directly to the iLox box using an ethernet cable, as differentiated from his WiFi speed from the same iLox box.

iLox is strictly fiber optic. The majority of Telmex is still not. In terms of who is getting what speeds, in different areas, only iLox can tell you for sure. And it is doubtful that they would.

OK...I do have an ethernet cable direct from the ILox modem to my TV and it made a world of difference to my TV viewing, whereas with the same cable I was getting very spotty reception with Telmex, both using the Firestick app. I still do not know what he means by "iLox speed is all over the place" (mine are constant) and what and why would he need "a Linksys router" when the ILox router seems perfectly fine. Just asking....

On 10/22/2020 at 2:16 PM, AndyPanda said:

The question was is fiber available in Chapala. I don't know if iLox is. But I do know that iFibre is trying hard.

Thank you, Andy, that was my question: fiber specifically in the town of Chapala, not the Chapala area. Oh well, I seem to have lost control of this one and people are having a nice discussion. Lesson learned.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bdmowers said:

Thank you, Andy, that was my question: fiber specifically in the town of Chapala, not the Chapala area. Oh well, I seem to have lost control of this one and people are having a nice discussion. Lesson learned.

Call ILox office 376-109-0000...Jessica speaks decent English. She can give you info on service in your specific neighborhood. If you take service, I recommend only internet...keep your phone with Telmex.