Chapala.com Webboard

Cost of arthroscopic knee surgery

I injured my left knee while providing my moms end of life care in June and it was causing me a great deal of grief so I went to an orthopedic physician in Oregon. My insurance was not the best so they proposed first a steroid injection in my knee, then if that didn't work a hyaluronic acid injection. If that didn't work the insurance would pay for an MRI. I decided to wait until I was back in Mexico to deal with it on my own at my own expense. 

I went to Dr. Gabriel Martinez Sandoval who is at Quality Care on Wednesdays. He had more xrays taken and gave me a referral for an MRI in Guadalajara at Grupo Rio Laboratorio. Got the MRI and it showed 2 meniscal tears and an ACL tear. He suggests arthroscopic surgery and I am not yet sure if I will get it done or not as my knee no longer hurts so I am on the fence about surgery. 

The intent of my post is to show the cost of these procedures. 

The first visit with Dr. Martinez was $900 pesos, about $43 US dollars. The x-ray he wanted was $670 pesos, about $32 US. The MRI cost was $6700 pesos, about $320 US. If I decide to have the arthroscopic surgery the full cost at his clinic as an outpatient is $45,000 pesos, about $2140 US dollars and if I have surgery in a hospital setting it would be $60,000 pesos, about $2850 US dollars. Another lady I know had a full knee replacement with him last winter in Guadalajara at a hospital with a couple of weeks of managed care and therapy before she could return home and her cost for that surgery was approximately $7000 US, around $147500 pesos just as an FYI. 

Total cost of diagnosis and potential arthroscopic surgery is $53270 pesos or $2535 US dollars. 

So many people post questions about the cost of medical care here so I just thought I would post my experience with it so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

My wife had arthroscopic MCL surgery including repairs to some torn meniscus in late 2018. Dr Eduardo Gonzalez was the doctor and the procedure was performed at Country 2000 in Guadalajara. The total cost at that time was $83,000 pesos which included office visits, MRI, x-ray, blood and EKG tests and a few medications. Our AXA insurance covered most of the cost after the deductible and copay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1