Chapala.com Webboard

Aspirin 100mg

None that I know about.  Several have a version of new  "heart protection" aspirin that is the exact same as the junior aspirin that everybody used to sell.  It now costs about eight times as much as the junior.  I just buy the cheap 500mg regular aspirin and break it into quarter tabs.  Box of 40 costs about 30 pesos and I get 120 doses as opposed to a box of forty heart protection aspirin for about 250 pesos.  That's a difference of 1/4 peso vs. 6 1/4 pesos each dose or 25 times more expensive.  Same Bayer company, by the way.  Thanks big pharma for looking out for us stupid consumers!  Alan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, barrbower said:

None that I know about.  Several have a version of new  "heart protection" aspirin that is the exact same as the junior aspirin that everybody used to sell.  It now costs about eight times as much as the junior.  I just buy the cheap 500mg regular aspirin and break it into quarter tabs.  Box of 40 costs about 30 pesos and I get 120 doses as opposed to a box of forty heart protection aspirin for about 250 pesos.  That's a difference of 1/4 peso vs. 6 1/4 pesos each dose or 25 times more expensive.  Same Bayer company, by the way.  Thanks big pharma for looking out for us stupid consumers!  Alan

Yep, either 325 or 500, quartered,  = 81 mg or 125 mg......much less $$ for same thing and will last you a lot longer too, especially the way most MX packaging is done in the little boxes vs bottles.    Plus....some may find using the little "pill cutters" quite satisfying / enjoyable!    😉

I would like to point out that the 100 mg aspirin is supposed to be "slow release". If you are cutting a higher strength tablet into pieces then you have cut through the outer layer and it is no longer slow release. Please consult with your Doctor.

• Like 4

In March 2019 both the American Heart Association (AHA) and the American College of Cardiology (ACC) recommended against the routine use of low-dose (81-mg) aspirin in people older than 70 who do not have existing heart disease and haven't had a stroke, or in people of any age who have an increased risk for bleeding (from a peptic ulcer, for example, with sores on the stomach lining that can bleed).

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/a-major-change-for-daily-aspirin-therapy

A major change for daily aspirin therapy
New recommendations could affect millions of people.

Published: November, 2019

You may remember a time when taking a daily baby aspirin was almost a rite of passage for generally healthy older adults. The idea was that, for people with a low to moderate risk for heart disease, aspirin therapy was a simple and cost-effective way to help prevent a heart attack or stroke.

But taking aspirin increases the risk for bleeding in the stomach and brain (see "How aspirin affects the body").

For people who've already had a heart attack or stroke, the benefits of aspirin clearly outweigh the bleeding risks. However, doctors have spent the past 10 years questioning if the same is true for everyone else.

Earlier this year, the debate came to a screeching halt, particularly for older people.
Aspirin reduces the blood's ability to clot. That helps reduce the risk of blood clots forming inside an artery and blocking blood flow in the heart (causing a heart attack) or in the brain (causing a stroke). That's the benefit of aspirin.  The risk from aspirin is that it increases the tendency to bleed, especially in the stomach but also (rarely) in the brain.  Aspirin increases the risk of bleeding in the stomach by blocking chemicals called prostaglandins, which protect the stomach lining.

New strategy
In March, the American Heart Association (AHA) and the American College of Cardiology (ACC) recommended against the routine use of low-dose (81-mg) aspirin in people older than 70 who do not have existing heart disease and haven't had a stroke, or in people of any age who have an increased risk for bleeding (from a peptic ulcer, for example, with sores on the stomach lining that can bleed).

"It's a big shake-up, based on three large studies. Two of the three showed there was no benefit to taking daily aspirin to prevent a first heart attack or stroke, and aspirin was associated with an increased risk for bleeding severe enough to require transfusions or hospitalization. The other study showed that in people with diabetes but no cardiovascular disease, there was benefit, but also risk: a 1% reduction in heart attack risk, and a 1% increase in bleeding risk," explains Dr. Christopher Cannon, a cardiologist at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women's Hospital.

What you should do
There's no debate about aspirin use among people who've already had a heart attack or stroke, people who have peripheral artery disease, or people who've had bypass surgery or had a stent inserted in their coronary arteries. For them, aspirin therapy is a cornerstone of treatment. "We accept the risk of bleeding in these cases, because the risk of another heart attack, stroke, or death is higher," Dr. Cannon says.vels.

Don't self-medicate
If you've been using aspirin regularly for years, don't stop taking it. Likewise, don't start taking it just because you think it will help you. In either case, do talk to your doctor.

"Aspirin therapy is an important treatment that should be discussed with your physician," Dr. Cannon notes, "and it should be a shared decision."

• Thanks 3

I've run out** of "Reactions" today but I second Bisbee Gal's Post. My cardiologist over a year ago brought me up to date on this.... something that I had actually been reading about for a couple of years.  

Sometimes we get stuck in a rut doing something and don't look around to see what might have changed since our father's time.

** P.S.  On the subject of those 'Reactions".... how does one 'run out today' when only ONE has been used today?  Not the only time either. But I suspect that 'no one' is going to look into this as it has been happening and reported on for quite a while!  End of rant. 

I have also been taken our of the rut of routine low aspirin use, in favor of Plavix, an anticoagulant, and Elequis, a blood thinner. The cardiologists also eliminated my use of Losartan after a pacemaker was installed. Now, my heart rate is well regulated, and I have no more bruising. That would indicate that I am now less prone to bleeding, as described in previous posts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickS said:

I've run out** of "Reactions" today but I second Bisbee Gal's Post. My cardiologist over a year ago brought me up to date on this.... something that I had actually been reading about for a couple of years.  

Sometimes we get stuck in a rut doing something and don't look around to see what might have changed since our father's time.

** P.S.  On the subject of those 'Reactions".... how does one 'run out today' when only ONE has been used today?  Not the only time either. But I suspect that 'no one' is going to look into this as it has been happening and reported on for quite a while!  End of rant. 

Those "Reaction thingies" are a joke and simply a crutch for those who have limited English language writing skills.

• Sad 4

14 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

People use a "sad" reaction or others, that I am told are called emoji, because they lack the writing skills to express detailed reasoning or in fact have none.  

You and your many strange medical are posts wonderful.  I greatly appreciate how you can keep us all laughing. Please keep on posting. And again, I just love your Medical BS

💊⚱️.  Oh and take one of these pills immediately before posting more of your strange  medical advice.