Chapala.com Webboard

Lake level dropping already

cedros

According to Conagua the lake level is dropping already. It is almost a meter lower that his time in 2018 and about 60 centimeters lower that this time in 2019. Not a good sign for the future. Normally the peak is reached in late late  October or November.

I don't want to remember how many meters lower the water lever was around 2001 to 2003 three or so. Quite a few meters. The Cota during that period got down to just above 91 meters which is much lower than it is now which is about 95.5 meters which can be seen at the below link. Try left clicking thereon.

https://www.ceajalisco.gob.mx/contenido/chapala/chapala/niveles.html

5 hours ago, johanson said:

I don't want to remember how many meters lower the water lever was around 2001 to 2003 three or so. Quite a few meters. The Cota during that period got down to just above 91 meters which is much lower than it is now which is about 95.5 meters which can be seen at the below link. Try left clicking thereon.

https://www.ceajalisco.gob.mx/contenido/chapala/chapala/niveles.html

Yes,not a good portent for the Spring. The low levels in 2001-2003 started n the Spring. Maybe they haven't opened the dams on the Lerma river yet. A lot of development happening on the north shore of the lake. They are already fighting over who is to get access to the limited water supply.

Don't worry about it then-let others. The lake is not pretty high. Remember it is only about 31 feet deep. Where I come from a lake this wide would be hundreds of feet deep. It is after all Mexico's largest lake. Without the lake this area would just just be a series of scruffy towns. When I go NOB a common question. I am asked is how is the lake level.

It is a topic of daily conversation. But I agree with bmh... I would rather keep it that way: off the boards and maybe over lunch. This is a board for assistance, and constant ruminations about the rainy season and the lake level are pretty boring. Not to mention the fact that there is nothing we can do about it.

Less worry means more happy, right?

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Cedros , the dry season has started and the lake will go down, that is the way nature works. If/when it rains too much upstream they will release water otherwise we will have to wait until next june or July for the water to start coming back up. It has been that way for centruries whether people worry about it or not, 

Who cares what the people up north ask.. the lake is what it is... let it be. When we bought the house you could barely see the lake and we live a couple of houses from it.. We could walk or drive to San Juan from the  Ajjic pier amongst trees and cattle.. I liked it that way too. when the water came back all the trees died..and the great walks  were over.. the people on the lake stole more federal zone and now there is no walking possible.. not a great improvement.

The routart a well known guide to the French took off Ajjc and Chapala from their routes because the lake was going to disappear and was dying and then there were projects to help the lakes and to raise money for the lake then they brought the Huicholes and the Virfing of Zapopan , the weather pattern changed and the lake started filling up again.

Yes lets worry about something we have control over or better let us not worry and let is spend our energy changing things we can change..

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

It is a topic of daily conversation. But I agree with bmh... I would rather keep it that way: off the boards and maybe over lunch. This is a board for assistance, and constant ruminations about the rainy season and the lake level are pretty boring. Not to mention the fact that there is nothing we can do about it.

That is what boards are for. Many people haven't a clue what shape the lake is in and there are things we can do. Who says it is just for assistance? Wrong.

2 hours ago, bmh said:

Cedros , the dry season has started and the lake will go down, that is the way nature works. If/when it rains too much upstream they will release water otherwise we will have to wait until next june or July for the water to start coming back up. It has been that way for centruries whether people worry about it or not, 

Who cares what the people up north ask.. the lake is what it is... let it be. When we bought the house you could barely see the lake and we live a couple of houses from it.. We could walk or drive to San Juan from the  Ajjic pier amongst trees and cattle.. I liked it that way too. when the water came back all the trees died..and the great walks  were over.. the people on the lake stole more federal zone and now there is no walking possible.. not a great improvement.

The routart a well known guide to the French took off Ajjc and Chapala from their routes because the lake was going to disappear and was dying and then there were projects to help the lakes and to raise money for the lake then they brought the Huicholes and the Virfing of Zapopan , the weather pattern changed and the lake started filling up again.

Yes lets worry about something we have control over or better let us not worry and let is spend our energy changing things we can change..

Why can't it be one for knowledge also. bmh you are missing the point. It is going down much to early. There is very little here that we have control over but we can have input here.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

I'm not aware that any of us have control over what is allowed to be posted on this Forum... other than the obvious. But I do know an iron clad way of escaping anything that any of us may either not be interested in or find boring..... just don't read the Post. Skip it. That way you are happy and others who may find the information/discussion relevant to their lives can carry on. I can't tell you how many topics I never read nor how many posters I have blocked as unimportant to me.  Then when I am through scanning/reading the topics I am interested in I just click the 'Mark Site Read' button. Takes the 'highlight' off.

• Like 3

Hmmm. if I don't read a post or follow a thread, I don't actually know how important or boring it is. Therefor I don't know if I should read it or not, until I've read it.

What I find interesting is, even though I was agreeing with bmh, now I'm getting comments as if I was arguing with cedros. Looks like I can't win either way.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

Cedros likes "to worry" in the public domain.......😀

Maybe but mainly I hate ignorance and apathy.  Maybe comments like the above is why many newbies never use this forum.  Social media like Facebook are gradually replacing these forums.

• Thanks 1

I beg to differ, on two counts. First, I don't see much ignorance or apathy here. I do see a lot of holier-than-thou stuff, which really takes away from the experience for me. Second, social media like Facebook is far too scattered for anyone to focus. Chat boards and forums on many topics are instead huge and growing. You know there are even boards for families of prisoners who need help? Facebook and Twitter would be the death of them if they had to rely on those, but their own forums keep things on topic and helpful.

10 hours ago, cedros said:

Yes,not a good portent for the Spring. The low levels in 2001-2003 started n the Spring. Maybe they haven't opened the dams on the Lerma river yet. A lot of development happening on the north shore of the lake. They are already fighting over who is to get access to the limited water supply.

Dams on the Rio Lerma???   There is a very small (about 4 meters high)  dam near Ibarra. It holds back very little water.  If they opened it up completely and drained all the water it wouldn't raise the lake even one millimeter.  Other than that between Chapala and Salamanaca  there are no dams. 

It is rain in the Lerma watershed that fills the lake. 

in that people seem to know nothing  about seiches on lakes. Nothing to do with holy -just facts

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-48319-6.

Someone post on here that the Conagua data was wrong because as he walked along the lake it looked high. Obviously a seiche. 

I spent my lat year at university studding Limnology and  I see some really ignorant posts here about the lake.

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Dams on the Rio Lerma???   There is a very small (about 4 meters high)  dam near Ibarra. It holds back very little water.  If they opened it up completely and drained all the water it wouldn't raise the lake even one millimeter.  Other than that between Chapala and Salamanaca  there are no dams. 

It is rain in the Lerma watershed that fills the lake. 

There are many more dams that that.

Just as an aside.... "what" causes the lirio to 'suddenly' appear in large quantities in the lake?  Where did/do they come from.  I had always heard, possibly mistakenly, that it was a 'sure sign that they were letting water out of an upstream dam'. 

On 10/19/2020 at 10:50 AM, cedros said:

Don't worry about it then-let others. The lake is not pretty high. Remember it is only about 31 feet deep. Where I come from a lake this wide would be hundreds of feet deep. It is after all Mexico's largest lake. Without the lake this area would just just be a series of scruffy towns. When I go NOB a common question. I am asked is how is the lake level.

So, what are you planning to do about it? 

On 10/19/2020 at 1:57 PM, RVGRINGO said:

You could all go and relieve yourselves in the lake and measure the rise.    😲

I am certain that it would be insignificant, but you might feel better.

Easy for you to say! Maybe the women could spit in it while the guys pee?

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Just as an aside.... "what" causes the lirio to 'suddenly' appear in large quantities in the lake?  Where did/do they come from.  I had always heard, possibly mistakenly, that it was a 'sure sign that they were letting water out of an upstream dam'. 

The Rio Lerma is a very slow flowing river because it passes through very flat land.  It is clogged with lirio and water lettuce for miles upstream.  Normally the current isn't fast enough to push vegetation into the lake. Also there is a lot of vegetation packed on the shallow eastern shore which is basically a marsh. In the summer the lake level rises thus freeing the vegetation from the marsh. There is more water in the river hence more current pushing vegetation into the lake. The winds come from the east pushing all of this into the lake.