Chapala.com Webboard

passport renewal?

Carrol

We are a compassionate and helpful group, but today I need recent and actual experience on how and where to obtain a U.S. Passport renewal on an emergency basis.

I have traveled the Guadalajara Consulate and Embassy in Mexico website for several hours today and even called the Guadalajara Consulate....but am getting caught up in circular telephone transfers and/or website referrals.  Any real life experience out there?

1 hour ago, PNR1 said:

Don't worry if it expires and renewal is not an emergency (see mostlylost  comment if emergency).  Even if it is expired up to 5 years, there is no penalty when you ultimately renew it.

U.S. passports may be renewed for up to 15 years if you were over 16 years old when the passport was issued. After that you must apply from scratch for a new passport. There is no penalty. 

On 10/15/2020 at 2:35 PM, AlanMexicali said:

https://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/89143-passport-renewal/

We were taken care of by the Guadalajara Consulate on Friday. First fill out all the renewal forms online then request an appointment. They opened about 3 1/2 weeks ago.

AlanMexicali-- please tell me how you got an appointment.  There is no appointment calendar on-line. I did send an email to the emergency listing and they did get back to me BUT stating the emergency must be described and be accompanied by my travel reservation.  I explained I cannot make reservations until I get a renewed  passport.  I have yet to hear back.  How on earth did you get an appontment.  Could you maybe call me? 331-722-3408  My daughter has just had brain surgery for a cancer that they now tell us is terminal, and I am eager to get to her.  --Carrol

My wife filled out her application on their website for her US B-1 visa in March and they gave her an appointment for the interview on March 23. Then they posponed that interview until July 10th. by E-mailing her. Then in June posponed that interview until Oct. 9th. in an E-mail. Then on Sept. 20th. E-mailed the confirmation to her again reminding her to printout the confirmation and show up 15 minutes early. Her required personal documents they requested were scanned and sent to them by E-mail and approved back on March 15th.

It appears for citizens to renew a passport there is no system in place to do this through their website as it states to fill out the renewal form and print it out and bring it with you to your appointment.

I thought if they were interviewing foreignors for visas they would be interviewing citizens as well at the Guadalajara Consulate for the last month for passport renewals. I guess not the same as before yet.

1 hour ago, Carrol said:

AlanMexicali-- please tell me how you got an appointment.  There is no appointment calendar on-line. I did send an email to the emergency listing and they did get back to me BUT stating the emergency must be described and be accompanied by my travel reservation.  I explained I cannot make reservations until I get a renewed  passport.  I have yet to hear back.  How on earth did you get an appontment.  Could you maybe call me? 331-722-3408  My daughter has just had brain surgery for a cancer that they now tell us is terminal, and I am eager to get to her.  --Carrol

Carrol, out of interest I went to the US Consulate web page and followed the directions for Emergency Travel....as I followed the instructions it does seem to allow you to make an appointment ans requirements etc.....I stoped when asked to start filling in my details, name etc...please give it an other try as I am sure they are avilable for issuing emergency travel passports

• Like 1

Change in Services Notice – U.S. Embassy Mexico City, Mexico (October 20, 2020)

Event:  Change in Availability of American Citizen Services (October 20, 2020)

Effective October 20, the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City and Consulates General Guadalajara, Hermosillo, Matamoros, Merida, Monterrey, Nogales, Nuevo Laredo, and Tijuana will resume limited appointments for some routine passport, citizenship, and notarial services.  Passport, citizenship, and notary appointment availability will be strictly limited due to physical distancing requirements in our offices and public waiting rooms.  Each applicant requires their own appointment.  All visitors to the embassy and consulates age two and older must wear a mask.

• Thanks 1