Chapala.com Webboard

Be careful in Walmart

3 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

No, but myself and many, many others are buying this because that is what they are selling and what we need. I have a huge property and the waste that is generated would pile up in just a short time. This would not make much sense. 

Can we have some pictures of your huge property?  I tried Google maps and it was hard to see

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

No, but myself and many, many others are buying this because that is what they are selling and what we need. I have a huge property and the waste that is generated would pile up in just a short time. This would not make much sense. 

I had an acre and had two piles of cutting etc. Huge mistake. Mice took it as their home and my Siamese cat, at the time, only liked canned cat food and canned tuna and half cooked meat. They were a nuisance. When a few years later I had it hauled away the mice were gone.

3 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Did you just climb out from under a rock or something, it wasn't the government that caused this but free enterprise itself.  And also it  will them that have the most to lose (or possibly gain) if they get rid of most single use plastics.

So why focus on the miniscule problem of the plastic bags at the checkout and not the "larger problem" of all the other plastic containers and much more being sold there. As  lifelong conservative, and also environmentalist, I have always recycled. For years here in lower SAT there was a guy just a few blocks away that would take my recycled plastic and give me a few pesos. He would resell it and all was good since it is a "commodity". Then one day about 5 years ago I went there and he tells me that he is no longer in business since the local government has taken over that business. So now what...I have a large storage space full of plastic bags filled with clean recyclable plastic and as you might have heard the "government program" is in disarray (shocking). So, is government the solution or the problem???   

I don't recall I ever once said it was the responsibility of the government per se.  Walmart doesn't have bags but Soriana does, I'm not sure why that is.  But I do know that if left up to their own greed, free private corporations, with the money they are making off of cheap plastics, they will never change unless they are highly encouraged to or forced to do so.  If the decision to change doesn't freely come from them, it will have to come from somewhere else.

27 minutes ago, Upfront said:

...you go to soriana you will see old ladies during the day and kids after school hours. walmart always used kids

I haven't seen any "old ladies" at Soriana since around the end of March or around then.  That is why there are propina boxes at each check out lane, it is for those, that because of their age, can't work during the current health situation.  Recently, I have experienced the cashier has been the one helping place purchased items in bags.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Upfront said:

the old ladies as you put it are earning money for their whole families. they take care of everybody. the kids buy celphone time. you go to soriana you will see old ladies during the day and kids after school hours. walmart always used kids

I used to see many more old ladies than kids, but what's the point? None of it makes any sense...now the lines are slowed down, the cashiers have to help load the shopping cart with all your plastic (heavy plastic in most cases) containers/ wrapped purchases and the old ladies (or kids) are not able to earn the miniscule tips. All to save a few flimsy bags that would go into a landfill with all the other HUGE quantities of non- biodegradeable refuge? Also we are not anywhere near the oceans so that is not a problem...all to be able to say "WE ARE SAVING THE PLANET" (not).

• Sad 2

I had a large property that produced a lot of plant waste-too much for the garbage people to haul away so I had a large stone composting box built. It did produce some compose but it did not break down fast enough to keep up with my plants so from time to time I had to burn it at hours when it was not obvious to others. Some plants are very slow to break down (like bamboo). Others,like Ficus should not be used in compost.  

How many people clean the bags they take to walmart to use???? Nobody I know including myself.  Not sure this is good news considering that according to latest studies the virus lives longer on certain stuff than they thought.  If you are a virus news hound we all should probably think this out and clean our bags but how???

9 minutes ago, lcscats said:

How many people clean the bags they take to walmart to use???? Nobody I know including myself.  Not sure this is good news considering that according to latest studies the virus lives longer on certain stuff than they thought.  If you are a virus news hound we all should probably think this out and clean our bags but how???

I toss in washing machine every so often.  Have also put in bright sunshine between washes.  

Washing depends on bag.  Most of mine cheap canvas-like polyester or other synthetic and wash up OK.  They fray, not just from washing--have a good supply from past Ferias del Arte when MegaCable gave them out.  I had local seamstress sew zippered pockets on them and they are my "purse" when I walk around.  We have some in car, too.  

We were more conscientious about leaving the heavier canvas totes in sun, between car shopping trips; may pay more attention to that again, though we don't use them nearly as often as we rarely go to Walmart these days--maybe every other month. 

Haven't tried to wash heavier totes (Trader Joe variety).  

15 hours ago, gringohombre said:

As  lifelong conservative, and also environmentalist, I have always recycled.

The 3 Rs are "Reduce, reuse, recycle", in that order. So first, we should be try not to buy the things that come heavily packaged. For instance, you can go to the bulk food and spice stores and buy your spices which they will put in small plastic bags (or bring in your own to reuse, if so inclined), which is a lot less plastic than buying spices in plastic jars at Walmart. And don't confuse "the things I need" with the things you want. True environmentalists will decide that they can get along without something if the alternative is environmentally unfriendly and seek out places where they refill their own containers from bulk bins.

It's nice to be able to recycle things, but that is actually the last thing on the list of how to reduce waste and plastic pollution.

15 hours ago, Upfront said:

the old ladies as you put it are earning money for their whole families. they take care of everybody. the kids buy celphone time. you go to soriana you will see old ladies during the day and kids after school hours. walmart always used kids

Not true.   Many  older ladies have been baggers at the Ajijic Walmart. 

2 hours ago, Upfront said:

thanks for the frikkin lecture

This is a discussion forum. However, you never have anything whatsoever to contribute to a discussion and seem to think your one-liners, almost always putting down what someone else has to say by making some flippant or judgemental comment, are clever contributions. Troll.

• Like 1

Some of us white haired ancients actually remember paper bags and glass bottled soda.  The Environmentalists pushed us into plastic because it saved the trees.  Back then we usually brought our own cotton bags, too.  We collected discarded glass bottles and brought them back to the store for the deposit.  A way for kids to earn some money.

How the world turns!

• Like 1

Look at the bottom of a plastic container and it has a triangle with a number in it.  The number tells what kind of plastic it is and plastic vary in all kinds of physical characteristics just like oak and pine are both wood but we all know the trees vary in physical characteristics. Some plastics are worse than others like the BPA plastic baby bottles here not so long ago. What we need is REUSABLE containers not recyclable plastics.  Nobody in industry wants plastic as a rule and most of it is put in the dump because it has no market.  All this is kinda sad but we need new thinking not the old throw it out mentality.  Recycling plastic at this point in time is a joke.