Chapala.com Webboard

Be careful in Walmart

This is a retirement community. Lots of Elderly expats and Tapitios.  A group more susceptible to the virus.

To me the the most dangerous place inside a walmart is in line.

Now that there are no bags, and the last few times I have been in there, no baggers so the line is running slower.

Last night I went in after getting lots of advertising to compete with Amazon Prime Day they only had 3 cashiers operating and none of those were in the lines for disabled and when you only have a few items. the lines where backed up into the clothes Department and clearly no observation of the space rules. I can't blame them it gets clogged up once your past the open aisle for the line of cashiers.

They did have people checking receipts though.

I was a little surprised to be getting advertising for specials and Walmart not prepared.

Be careful everyone

No bags ( new environmental rules)or baggers (CoV protection measure as most were  elderly) for months. Shortage of cashiers due to problem getting staff. SOME people ignore social distance rule..... and if they are near me I either move away OR ask them politely to please do so. Do they get upset?  Some yes.... some no.  Do I care...........

Self-protection is the operative word here.

The Walmart next to Plaza Galarías does not use bags.  And all the small shops like shoe stores in front will also refuse to sell you a bag even though some still use them.  I tried that last week when in Guadalajara.  We bought a small jacket for my niece so we ended up just rolling everything up in that jacket and used it as a bag.  We didn't even see cloth bags for sell at the check-out.

30 minutes ago, RickS said:

Did I miss something.... did Mexico just pass a 'no plastic bags' law???

My favorite "beef" now with the environmental "activists". Walmart has now banned plastic bags at the checkout, but selling plenty in the store as well as all the plastic beverage bottles, food containers and plastic, plastic, plastic all over the store. The tiny amount used to bag your orders will cause .001% of landfill compared to all the other plastic leaving the store. Plus take into consideration the loss of the small income generated by the wonderful "older ladies" bagging your orders...where are they now!!! THE WORLD IS GOING NUTS!!!   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

My favorite "beef" now with the environmental "activists". Walmart has now banned plastic bags at the checkout, but selling plenty in the store as well as all the plastic beverage bottles, food containers and plastic, plastic, plastic all over the store. The tiny amount used to bag your orders will cause .001% of landfill compared to all the other plastic leaving the store. Plus take into consideration the loss of the small income generated by the wonderful "older ladies" bagging your orders...where are they now!!! THE WORLD IS GOING NUTS!!!   

Everything you mentioned is packaged in recycable plastic. Bags are not.

The little old ladies are not there because of Covid, not the plastic bag ban.  The Walmart plastic bags were so cheap and thin, by the time you got them home they were so ripped and stretched out, it was about time they got rid of them.  If people knew about how many thousands they gave out each day, many people would change their tunes.  Shoppers need to develop the habit of always bringing their own reusable bags.  So, yeah, now that we have started to get rid of single use plastc bags, now it is time to go after all the giant corporations that rely on single use plastics to sell their merchandise mandating them find more healthy environmental means.  Starting off with Coca-Cola and Pepsi.  Why do so many old timers feel enconvenienced by attempting to reduce plastic waste?  We should be all trying to do so, yes I also see the often hypocrisy, but just know that this is only the beginning.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

3 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

The little old ladies are not there because of Covid not the plastic bag ban.  The Walmart plastic bags were so cheap and thin, by the time you got them home they were so ripped and stretched out, it is about time they got rid of them.  If you knew about how many thousands they gave out each day, many people would change their tunes.  Shoppers need to develop the habit of always bringing their own reusible bags.  So, yeah, now that we have started to get rid of single use plastc bags, now it is time to go after all the giant corporations that rely on single use plastics to sell their merchandise mandating them find more healthy environmental means.  Starting off with Coca-Cola and Pespi.  Why do so many old timers feel enconvenienced by attempting to reduce plastic waste?  We should be all trying to do so, yes I also see the often hypocrisy, but just know that this is only the beginning.

17 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

FAKE NEWS!!! You do not have a clue. I am now looking at a Lipton tea bottle I buy there...plastic is plastic...get real 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

The little old ladies are not there because of Covid not the plastic bag ban.  The Walmart plastic bags were so cheap and thin, by the time you got them home they were so ripped and stretched out, it is about time they got rid of them.  If you knew about how many thousands they gave out each day, many people would change their tunes.  Shoppers need to develop the habit of always bringing their own reusible bags.  So, yeah, now that we have started to get rid of single use plastc bags, now it is time to go after all the giant corporations that rely on single use plastics to sell their merchandise mandating them find more healthy environmental means.  Starting off with Coca-Cola and Pespi.  Why do so many old timers feel enconvenienced by attempting to reduce plastic waste?  We should be all trying to do so, yes I also see the often hypocrisy, but just know that this is only the beginning.

More FAKE NEWS!!! The plastic bag use ban at the checkout was implemented way before the virus...and what would be wrong with them wearing masks...checkers can so can they!!! this is just a diversion...throw the little ole' ladies under the bus for fake environmental BS!!! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Don't pick on the verbally challenged, you too will get it some day.

4 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Not true at all. "plastic is plastic" is Fake News!". 😅

I am looking through my refrigerator and closet at all the products I have bought at Walmart in the last month in plastic containers and all are just regular "plastic" as well as large rolls of "plastic" garbage bags and huge rolls of "plastic" bags for my gardeners to put the grass and garden trimmings in. All real "plastic" my friend. lets get real here and hopefully get those poor "elderly ladies" back to earning a few pesos that they desperately need (with masks). This is just a small example of the "environmental do-gooders" looking at the "small picture". I as a lifelong businessman have been successful at looking at the "large picture". 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I am looking through my refrigerator and closet at all the products I have bought at Walmart in the last month in plastic containers and all are just regular "plastic" as well as large rolls of "plastic" garbage bags and huge rolls of "plastic" bags for my gardeners to put the grass and garden trimmings in.

No one is forcing you to buy all that stuff packaged in plastic. And anyone who has yard waste obviously has a yard where they could devote a back corner to a yard waste pile, which breaks down and eventually goes back to the earth. Bagging it up in plastic bags is pointless and environmentally irresponsible but it's obvious you don't care.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

More FAKE NEWS!!! The plastic bag use ban at the checkout was implemented way before the virus...and what would be wrong with them wearing masks...checkers can so can they!!! this is just a diversion...throw the little ole' ladies under the bus for fake environmental BS!!! 

Gringohombre, Fake News, what the rayos are you talking about?  Try to focus dude.  The little old ladies did not disappear with the ban on plastics that started long before this crazy pandemic, they worked and bagged things into your reusable bags up until the start of the pandemic.  Yes, I agree, they should at least use the young kids just like Soriana does, it helps the young with jobs and also helps move the lines along.  And also I understand your small minded confusion regarding the hypocrasy of it all, but trust me, this only the beginning.

3 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Gringohombre, Fake News, what the rayos are you talking about?  Try to focus dude.  The little old ladies did not disappear with the ban on plastics that started long before this crazy pandemic, they worked and bagged things into your reusable bags up until the start of the pandemic.  Yes, I agree, they should at least use the young kids just like Soriana does, it helps the young with jobs and also helps move the lines along.  And also I understand your small minded confusion regarding the hypocrasy of it all, but trust me, this only the beginning.

The beginning of what??? There IS a solution and it starts with getting government OUT and letting FREE ENTERPRISE solve the problem.   

14 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

No one is forcing you to buy all that stuff packaged in plastic. And anyone who has yard waste obviously has a yard where they could devote a back corner to a yard waste pile, which breaks down and eventually goes back to the earth. Bagging it up in plastic bags is pointless and environmentally irresponsible but it's obvious you don't care.

No, but myself and many, many others are buying this because that is what they are selling and what we need. I have a huge property and the waste that is generated would pile up in just a short time. This would not make much sense.