Chapala.com Webboard

Why would Canadians return this winter

lakeside7

Frankly the older one gets, jumping over more hurdles becomces a challlange, this pandemic only adds to the other "hurdles" like health insurance, isolation requirements..I am not sure what older Canadans alternatives are for escaping their winters???...maybe if they are rading this forum they can share what are their alternatives...Mexico cannot be the only winter escape..can it??

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Mexico cannot be the only winter escape..can it??

In case you haven't heard, international travel isn't really a smart thing to undertake during a deadly highly contagious pandemic. There isn't anywhere safe to go because anywhere warm you'd have to fly to or drive through the US.

You couldn't pay any of my Canadian friends or family to get on a plane to anywhere at the present time, unless it was an unavoidable trip.

• Like 2

Just now, Upfront said:

did you know that most flights out of canada are not social distancing AT ALL?

Which is exactly why no one I know would fly anywhere unless they absolutely had to. And social distancing on an airplane is a oxymoron anyway.

And don't you have anything better to do than stalk me around the forum? My post wasn't addressed to you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

United Airlines says the risk of COVID-19 exposure onboard its aircraft is "virtually non-existent" after a new study finds that when masks are worn there is only a 0.003% chance particles from a passenger can enter the passenger's breathing space who is sitting beside them (that is 3 of every 100,000 passengers)  if all passengers are wearing masks

A new study conducted for the Department of Defense adds credence to the growing belief that airline passengers face minimal risk of contracting coronavirus when flying.

The study found the risk of aerosol dispersion – transmission of the virus through the air – was reduced  thanks to high air exchange rates, HEPA-filtered recirculation and downward ventilation found on modern jets.

• Like 1

Significantly, the study did not examine the risk posed by the virus spreading in larger droplets that people can spread when eating or talking. Nor did it look at risks involved in getting to the airport and waiting to board a plane.

Passengers can remove masks when eating or drinking.  And yes, even on flights with no food service, you can bring your own food.  

(edited to removed gratuitous political comment)

• Like 2

Because (a) it is off topic and (b) your poor examples always seem to be from one side only.  Edited again, post it again and you get suspended.  If you have a further problem with this, PM me or another moderator.  This refers to the last two posts by VG I deleted.

Topic is CANADIANS and travel.  Got it?

• Thanks 3

I didn't see the Posts that got deleted. That's OK. But IMO Moderator threats to suspend a person should be a private thing with the offender and not necessarily be broadcast in a shaming way for all Users to see. To me that seems very controlling.  Just my opinion.

• Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, RickS said:

I didn't see the Posts that got deleted. That's OK. But IMO Moderator threats to suspend a person should be a private thing with the offender and not necessarily be broadcast in a shaming way for all Users to see. To me that seems very controlling.  Just my opinion.

..and mine as well. Shaming is a bully stunt.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, RickS said:

But IMO Moderator threats to suspend a person should be a private thing with the offender and not necessarily be broadcast in a shaming way for all Users to see. To me that seems very controlling. 

I see your point, but it also shines light on what posts the moderator focuses on to delete and warn the poster about. IOW, it makes the moderator's prejudices fairly obvious. Even if the post has been deleted, if you are familiar with the user's views from their posting history, you can sort of extrapolate what the "offending" post might have said.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

I see your point, but it also shines light on what posts the moderator focuses on to delete and warn the poster about. IOW, it makes the moderator's prejudices fairly obvious. Even if the post has been deleted, if you are familiar with the user's views from their posting history, you can sort of extrapolate what the "offending" post might have said.

And of course the people who are constantly attempting to insert U.S. politics into threads here have no prejudices.

LOL

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2020 at 1:02 AM, Upfront said:

in case you havent noticed this whole thread is about travel and how dangerous it is. please contribute with something that any person with common sense doesnt already know

let me help you. did you know that most flights out of canada are not social distancing AT ALL?

If you pick the right flight and price their is social distancing on the planes. Earlier this year I flew from Toronto to Puerto Vallarta in the business class section there were 18 seats and I was the only one in there. And the plane advertised a very good filtration system.When I flew Guadalajara to Vancouver later the  business section was 1/2 full but only one person was immediately behind me and no one was in the 3 adjacent seats. After me at Vancouver customs came 90 Mexicans  from the back of the plane. They were going there to pick fruit so I guess they got through okay.

24 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

It is going to depend on the flight, of course. I have a friend comiing out of TO to Guad and each time he comes the plane is packed. Earlier this year, people were more afraid to fly, contributing to the extra seating.

Yes, it depends on the flight. Earlier this year I flew Guadalajara to Vancouver in Business class. That section was 1/2 full but only one person right behind me and no on else in the row of 4 seats i was in. 

30 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

It is going to depend on the flight, of course. I have a friend comiing out of TO to Guad and each time he comes the plane is packed. Earlier this year, people were more afraid to fly, contributing to the extra seating.

Airlines flying less flights in order to fill planes.  Also most airlines are selling/filling the middle seats now.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Not that there's anything really bad about getting "stuck" in Mexico. I know a few people who opted to stay here when the outbreak occurred. They're not whining.

Everyone has a different comfort level, especially part-timers.  Some may have never even seen a doctor here during their winter stays, while at home they have familiar health care providers, know the system.  

I still think snowbirds who own homes here are more likely to return than those who rent.  

• Like 1

Here is what the CDC says:

Air travel requires spending time in security lines and airport terminals, which can bring you in close contact with other people and frequently touched surfaces. Most viruses and other germs do not spread easily on flights because of how air circulates and is filtered on airplanes. However, social distancing is difficult on crowded flights, and sitting within 6 feet of others, sometimes for hours, may increase your risk of getting COVID-19.

While that is a very mixed message, I think most people when talking about it don't get past the 'air circulation' part.

• Like 4