Chapala.com Webboard

Why would Canadians return this winter

lakeside7

This site was updated recently (Oct. 20th) and explains who can cross, defining 'essential' versus 'non-essential' travel.  You mentioned that AK's can cross into Canada, yes they can, but only to return to their homes in AK (with proof of AK residency).  AK's heading south to the lower 48 as winter snowbirds may be denied entry into Canada.  https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/coronavirus-travel-issues/

As with all Border crossings, it is up to the agent at the border to determine your passage.  Here's a story where a family called Canadian border office, were told they could cross, but at the border were denied entry. https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/08/11/border-woes-when-canada-says-no/

• Thanks 1

Jerry maybe you should drive to the U.S. Canadian border and see if the U.S. will let you in.  If they do, as a Permanent Resident with visa you will have no problem on the Mexican side of the U.S. border getting in.  We recently came back from NEW Mexico into Mexico in our Mexican plated car and they didn't even check our visas, just looked at the car, at us and waved us through.

As others have noted, what they tell you on the phone versus what they say at the border can be quite different.   

23 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Jerry maybe you should drive to the U.S. Canadian border and see if the U.S. will let you in.  If they do, as a Permanent Resident with visa you will have no problem on the Mexican side of the U.S. border getting in.  We recently came back from NEW Mexico into Mexico in our Mexican plated car and they didn't even check our visas, just looked at the car, at us and waved us through.

As others have noted, what they tell you on the phone versus what they say at the border can be quite different.   

Did you read the storyhttps://globalnews.ca/news/7390454/canadians-denied-entry-forced-to-quarantine/  (above)?  These Canadians were NOT let in, and when they were made to turn around and go back to Canada (literally a few hundred yards away) they were required to quarantine for 14 days...which meant since they decided to fly down, they could not do so for 2 weeks.  It's a risk, may work out for this poster, but he needs to know consequences of even trying. 

I do agree with you that there is unlikely to be an issue at MX border.

• Like 1

Jerry didn't specify his nationality but obviously there is some risk with this strategy.  

He could find out on the Canadian side before he goes further if he would be forced to quarantine in the event the U.S. wouldn't let him in.

My point was that the border is the best place to see if they can get into the U.S.  Once that is done, the rest is just slogging out the long drive across the U.S.

More than anything this is a graphic example of how absurd this whole business has become.

I did see a gathering of newly arrived Canadian snowbirds a few days ago.  A small flock of Pelicanos Borregones off the Ajijic malecon.  First spotting this season for me. 

Gotta love that name.....they do look like sheep bobbing on the water 🐑   🐑  🐑   🐑 

• Haha 1

I think, after many years of travel that border patrol officers of Canada, U.S., Mexico and many other countries use profiling a lot. They are not supposed to do this, but they do. This is not just racial profiling, but cultural, in all corners of the globe.

The answer is to dress conservatively, smile and be polite and respectful at all times. Something that being a black or muslim man in the U.S.A., or a woman in Mexico learned a long time ago.

This is why it is difficult to comment on refused border entries. You never know what might have triggered their profiling response.

6 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

He could find out on the Canadian side before he goes further if he would be forced to quarantine in the event the U.S. wouldn't let him in.

He doesn't need to "find out" at the border. Once you leave Canada, even if you just go 50 meters onto US soil and turn around, you have to quarantine. This is a known policy.

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

That's like the old joke about how you know how far to drive south.  Strap a snow shovel to your roof and when someone stops you and asks you what that is, you have arrived.  :D 

I had people here wondering why I had an electric chord coming out of my truck grill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 9:29 PM, Hithereterry said:

Hi Folks, 

I'm still trying, to determine if and when I might be able to return to the home which I own in Mexico.  My situation is somewhat unique.  While I am currently in Canada, my residence is in Mexico, and I have permanent residence status.  I drove here in the spring as I usually do with my Mexican plated vehicle, and my Mexican cell phone.  Thankfully both as still functioning. I had hoped at that time that I would be returning sometime soon.  Alas life has not unfolded as I had hoped.  Most of the time I have been staying with friends awaiting some change in border restrictions, which are now extended until Nov 21.

I know from news that various Americans who wish to drive to Alaska in transit via Canada are permitted to do so, although on condition that they travel directly with no tourist stops enroute. 

Therefore, I wish to know if such transit travel via automobile is permitted through the USA enroute to Mexico.  Yes/no??  

I'm wondering if anyone knows what exactly can be considered essential travel, or conversely non-essential travel?  I'm also wondering if travel is permitted, then what documentation is required and what additional conditions, such as 14 day quarantine might be required both on entering the USA, and also on entering Mexico.  Anyone have answers for me?

My vehicle registration, and travel to Canada and USA auto insurance policy will not go much more beyond year-end. 

I'm aware that if I leave Canada and contact USA CBP and I am denied access, when I return to Canada I must  do a 14 day self quarantine, even though technically I have not entered the USA, then I have technically left Canada.   I don't see anywhere on the US Customs or DHS sites that I might call or email.  

Any thought, suggestions or related experiences would be most appreciated.  

Blessings,

What if you told them you have to get back to Mexico for health reasons (doctor's appointment or surgery or?) and it would make more sense to drive your car there rather than abandon it in Canada. They can be flexible.

You can try what many snowbirds are doing: have your car shipped across the U.S. border, fly down, then drive to Mexico.

I don't know if that will work with a Mexican-plated car, though.

It is also pricey, $1600 to take a car from Montreal to Florida, but you might be able to ship to a closer spot and drive down the rest of the way.

Pete

Edited by peteben
Typo

12 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

Is it an accepted fact then, that American's/Canadians cannot drive into Mexico? They can certainly fly in.

No. Not as far as I understand it (which likely is not very far). I doubt there is one “fact.” There are opinions, experiences, stories, rumors, and suppositions. There are also exceptions to everything you thought or “knew.”

The conclusion I formed into my opinion is that if you are a resident of Mexico or have confirmation from someplace you will be staying here or a nice story about coming to, say, care for your sick relative there is no problem. Or if you hit it right you need none of the preceding. 

Hope that clears things up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2020 at 5:52 PM, AndyPanda said:

Is it an accepted fact then, that American's/Canadians cannot drive into Mexico? They can certainly fly in.

Yes. But somtimes rules are bent. Canadians are not supposed drive into the US and then there is the Mexican border to drive across. Some Canadians have had problems flying into Mexico