Chapala.com Webboard

Why would Canadians return this winter

lakeside7

7 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Get a grip, gramps.  The story says the woman died on an airplane from Covid, while still on the tarmac.  Many questions being asked now, after it seems the airline hid this for several months (she died on July 25th).  US Airlines have been required to report all deaths on airlines for decades yet the media cannot find a report of this one.  

If you want to ignore the fact that a woman so sick that she died before the plane even took off  was allowed to board a plane during Covid with no screening, where there is no report of the death as required by law, go ahead.  Maybe you don't fly much, but pre-Covid we flew monthly and yes, I want to be sure airlines are being honest about conditions.  

The article I read said they did not at first know her COD. The report said she had an underlying condition that turned out to be COD. It was just recently they discovered she ALSO had Covid19. I am guessing she was asymptomatic for Covid. She died of, let’s say a heart attack or aneurysm, and after autopsy and blood tests they found out about the Covid. I don’t believe she got on the plane fully symptomatic and actively dying of Covid.

• Like 1

And if true that is why it is sooooo important to know all the facts before arriving at a conclusion. At least a conclusion that gets spread about like wildfire. 

Of course that would rule out 99.9% of the stuff that gets 'shared' on social media. IMO 'we' were a lot better off before it was so easy to 'type something and hit send' without actually thinking about what we just did/said.

10 hours ago, RickS said:

And if true that is why it is sooooo important to know all the facts before arriving at a conclusion. At least a conclusion that gets spread about like wildfire. 

Of course that would rule out 99.9% of the stuff that gets 'shared' on social media. IMO 'we' were a lot better off before it was so easy to 'type something and hit send' without actually thinking about what we just did/said.

I saw the story on NBC Nightly News.  When I googled it, I found various newspaper stories, one of which I cited in my post. FWIW, I am not a fan of FB or other social media.  But I do subscribe and read newspapers, watch network news. I applaud news organizations that investigate stories such as this one. 

Without a free and open press no one is accountable.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I saw the story on NBC Nightly News.  When I googled it, I found various newspaper stories, one of which I cited in my post. FWIW, I am not a fan of FB or other social media.  But I do subscribe and read newspapers, watch network news. I applaud news organizations that investigate stories such as this one. 

Yes, the Mainstream Media is doing a superb job informing us of all the facts of the important issues of the day. Keep up the good work folks!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Some of us read about more than one thing from many sources and then don't post it on here to suit one's agenda instead of as news and  changing it to opinion obliterating the actual facts.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Yes, the Mainstream Media is doing a superb job informing us of all the facts of the important issues of the day. Keep up the good work folks!

The Edmonton Journal has done a splendid job reporting on what is going on with the Edmonton Oilers. Interviews with executives and even players. Want an update?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

The Edmonton Journal has done a splendid job reporting on what is going on with the Edmonton Oilers. Interviews with executives and even players. Want an update?

Thanks but I read that paper every day. Great coverage.

20 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

But I wonder why the original settlers decide to stay.. What were they coming away ?  What circumstances were they leaving?

That is a massively huge question, and there are a thousand documentaries and TV series that cover just that, not to mention hundreds and hundreds of Websites (because who reads the 1,000s of books now). Basic answer? THE NEW WORLD.

As Mudgirl has already noted, most of the really cold areas of Canada are the "stan" provinces - Albertistan, Manitobistan, Saskatchistan. Ontario is a separate, private hell under leadership of Doug Ford.

Still flowers on the west coast. Time to plant next years bulbs. Still picking tropical fruits Lakeside.

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

But I wonder why the original settlers decide to stay.. What were they coming away ?  What circumstances were they leaving?

A fair number of Loyalists (Tories) fled to Canada during the American Revolution to avoid persecution by their neighbors who were taking up arms against Great Britain.

• Like 1

Don't bet on the U.S.-Canadian border reopening after the closure agreement expires Oct. 21.

In an interview Wednesday, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his country is committed to keeping the border closed until the United States gets control of COVID-19.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/10/15/justin-trudeau-canada-us-border-not-reopening-covid-19/3661758001/?fbclid=IwAR2fq-NdDlhMoOHytT7Q_-5N-07t2lsD3k3SryvBHlH2wVDRKIbTdflnREY

14 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Don't bet on the U.S.-Canadian border reopening after the closure agreement expires Oct. 21.

In an interview Wednesday, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his country is committed to keeping the border closed until the United States gets control of COVID-19.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/10/15/justin-trudeau-canada-us-border-not-reopening-covid-19/3661758001/?fbclid=IwAR2fq-NdDlhMoOHytT7Q_-5N-07t2lsD3k3SryvBHlH2wVDRKIbTdflnREY

U.S. Embassy Mexico City, Mexico (October 22, 2020)

The United States and Mexico entered a joint initiative March 21 restricting non-essential travel along the U.S.-Mexico land border to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus.  Non-essential travel includes tourism and recreational travel.  These restrictions apply to travel in both directions across the border.  On October 19, the U.S. and Mexican governments extended the land border travel restrictions until November 21.  Mexican border and local authorities are conducting enforcement actions to discourage non-essential travel in some areas.

Travelers entering Mexico by land from the United States may be denied admission if the purpose of their visit is considered non-essential.  We recommend that travelers carry evidence of the essential nature of their visit and evidence of their resident status in Mexico, if applicable.  Travelers entering Mexico via land may be subject to temperature checks and additional health screening

I still don't understand why or what sense it makes for non-essential travel to be curbed for those entering by land but not by air. Seems like someone who was driving down in their own vehicle, who took precautions on the way down not to possibly expose themselves to the virus would be a safer bet than those who'd just spent time in airports and crammed onto a plane shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of other people.

• Like 2

Most likely land crossing versus air entries prohibitions are based on numbers.

One month Jan 2020 land crossings

Laredo   buses 3149,  pedestrians 309,041   passengers in personal vehicles 897,997

El Paso  buses  1857, pedestrians  552,882  passengers in personal vehicles 1,593,590

Calexico buses  85,   pedestrians    43,565  passengers in personal vehicles   428,522

That is not all the border crossings.  

Hi Folks, 

I'm still trying, to determine if and when I might be able to return to the home which I own in Mexico.  My situation is somewhat unique.  While I am currently in Canada, my residence is in Mexico, and I have permanent residence status.  I drove here in the spring as I usually do with my Mexican plated vehicle, and my Mexican cell phone.  Thankfully both as still functioning. I had hoped at that time that I would be returning sometime soon.  Alas life has not unfolded as I had hoped.  Most of the time I have been staying with friends awaiting some change in border restrictions, which are now extended until Nov 21.

I know from news that various Americans who wish to drive to Alaska in transit via Canada are permitted to do so, although on condition that they travel directly with no tourist stops enroute. 

Therefore, I wish to know if such transit travel via automobile is permitted through the USA enroute to Mexico.  Yes/no??  

I'm wondering if anyone knows what exactly can be considered essential travel, or conversely non-essential travel?  I'm also wondering if travel is permitted, then what documentation is required and what additional conditions, such as 14 day quarantine might be required both on entering the USA, and also on entering Mexico.  Anyone have answers for me?

My vehicle registration, and travel to Canada and USA auto insurance policy will not go much more beyond year-end. 

I'm aware that if I leave Canada and contact USA CBP and I am denied access, when I return to Canada I must  do a 14 day self quarantine, even though technically I have not entered the USA, then I have technically left Canada.   I don't see anywhere on the US Customs or DHS sites that I might call or email.  

Any thought, suggestions or related experiences would be most appreciated.  

Blessings,

t

Here's what happened to a Canadian couple in a similar situation to yours, earlier this month. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7390454/canadians-denied-entry-forced-to-quarantine

A Canadian couple has found themselves in quarantine, and at risk of losing their residency in Mexico, after a mishap at the U.S. border.

Barbara Moller and John Grant Howse own property in La Paz, where they usually spend half the year.

On Thursday, the Inveremere, B.C., couple loaded up their trailer with intent to drive down to the property.

Moller’s son had made the same trip in July, and because the duo had legal documents showing their address and legal residency in Mexico, they expected a smooth border crossing.

Instead, the U.S. border agent told them they’d have to pull a U-turn and head back to Canada. 
“They said because of the COVID, we wouldn’t know where you were going in the U.S. or this sort of thing, so we have no way of keeping track of you,” said Grant Howse.

“We were probably under a minute, for certain, in the states. We never got out of the truck once. We had masks on,” added Moller.

Things took a turn for the worse when the couple arrived back at the Canadian border crossing.

The pair were told they’d have to quarantine at home for 14 days, and were at risk of a large fine or jail time if they didn’t comply.

“It was like he enjoyed telling us that,” said Moller.

“We were spoken to as if we were a couple of dummies or something. Just this gentleman’s attitude was horrible. I’ve never been treated like this at a Canadian border before,” added Grant Howse.

“Every time we’ve returned to Canada, it’s been ‘welcome home.’ Not this time.”

In a statement to Global News, the Canada Border Services Agency said the Quarantine Act restrictions due to COVID-19 apply to anyone entering the country, no matter how long they’ve been outside.

“There are no specific provisions that exempt travellers who are refused entry into the U.S. from having to quarantine,” reads the statement.

The couple are now holed up in their Kootenay home, but say they could lose their Mexican residency, which must be renewed in person by Oct. 23.

“We can’t even book a flight until our quarantine is over, which is past the due date,” said Moller.