Chapala.com Webboard

Why would Canadians return this winter

lakeside7

fyi, Air Canada and WestJet are selling/filling middle seats.  

https://khn.org/news/what-is-the-risk-of-getting-coronavirus-on-a-plane/

“The greatest risk in flight would be if you happen to draw the short straw and sit next to or in front, behind or across the aisle from an infector,” said Richard Corsi, who studies indoor air pollution and is the dean of engineering at Portland State University.

It’s also important to note that airplanes’ high-powered filtration systems aren’t sufficient on their own to prevent outbreaks. If an airline isn’t keeping middle seats open or vigilantly enforcing mask use, flying can actually be rather dangerous. Currently, the domestic airlines keeping middle seats open include Delta, Hawaiian, Southwest and JetBlue.

The reason for this is that infected people send viral particles into the air at a faster rate than the airplanes flush them out of the cabin. “Whenever you cough, talk or breathe, you’re sending out droplets,” said Qingyan Chen, professor of mechanical engineering at Purdue University. “These droplets are in the cabin all the time.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Those Canadians considering returning might consider this:

Just an FYI -- the Diario de Yucatan published an article today where they cite the Asociacion Mexicana de Instituciones de Seguros that the average cost of treatment for CV is 10,603 pesos (no hospital stay), 416,526 pesos if hospitalized, and can reach 972,517 pesos (average) if in intensive care. I'll add the citation if I can find it! bingo -- here's the link: https://www.yucatan.com.mx/.../aseguradoras-adaptan-su...

• Thanks 1

Interesting part of that article also suggests    "With 600 or 700 pesos you have insurance that covers you for 50 or 100 thousand pesos due to death due to Covid-19, products that were not previously available "

If true, that might be a good policy to have at this time.....  I'd have to see the 'disclaimers' as that sounds like a 'too good to be true'.  $5,000 US payment for $33... even if that is per month it might be worth having until things blow over.  Or not.

23 minutes ago, RickS said:

Interesting part of that article also suggests    "With 600 or 700 pesos you have insurance that covers you for 50 or 100 thousand pesos due to death due to Covid-19, products that were not previously available "

If true, that might be a good policy to have at this time.....  I'd have to see the 'disclaimers' as that sounds like a 'too good to be true'.  $5,000 US payment for $33... even if that is per month it might be worth having until things blow over.  Or not.

As you say the devil is in the details

Also I thought Canadian s had to be careful about being out of the country and still retaining your med coverage

Also a winter in Canada is not as bleak as many in Mexico or Southern U.S. believe. Lottery profits are used to build public recreation centers, especially in well populated areas. The newer ones are quite deluxe, with lots of insulated glass, lots of fake stonework, well appointed classrooms for learning, creating artwork, etc. It is like going on a resort vacation, but no, or little cost, especially for seniors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daisy2013 said:

The weather there is extremely cold and so much snow    I am done with that.

If "things" were "normal" then sure its a no brainer to seek warmer climes...BUT things are far from normal, including being inthe High Risk age bracket 

Most responsible people will have to weight the pros and cons....it would seem that giving up ONE season and staying SAFE (or getting better treatment) if you did get sick in Canada..is for you to stay at home

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Also a winter in Canada is not as bleak as many in Mexico or Southern U.S. believe. Lottery profits are used to build public recreation centers, especially in well populated areas. The newer ones are quite deluxe, with lots of insulated glass, lots of fake stonework, well appointed classrooms for learning, creating artwork, etc. It is like going on a resort vacation, but no, or little cost, especially for seniors.

Those who have lived in heavy snow areas, like Minnesota, don't much think of recreation centers as havens in winter. Getting to one is going to involve the parka, the hat, the boots, the scarf, the gloves, for you, for the kids, etc.

There's a thousand other things, like trying to be on time for work, but this post is already overlong; still I've left some in, in case you want to keep reading.

Then the warming up of the car, and the decision as to whether or not to buy a remote started. Then there is the scraping of the windshields and all the other windows, unfreezing the damn locks, unplugging the engine block heater, perhaps shovelling the snow or ice out of the driveway or parking area, shovelling the huge snowbank left by the city plow (if it's been by yet), dealing with the slippery streets, the sleet on the windshield, the :() drivers who forget how to drive every different season, and everything else that going somewhere.... even to the corner store... entails.

Let's not forget to mention the approximately 6 months of doing this, day in and day out, and being cooped up in your house or apartment the rest of the time. It leads to actual cases of cabin fever, and there is no denying such a thing.

• Like 2

Both Air Canada and Westjet are offering free, yes that’s right, free covid travel insurance to any passengers flying to Mexico and the Caribbean.  The Canadian Airlines are also lobbying the government to do free covid testing at major Canadian airports.  My understanding is Air Canada has offered to pick up the cost for airport testing.  They’re eager to increase air travel.  

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

As you say the devil is in the details

Also I thought Canadian s had to be careful about being out of the country and still retaining your med coverage

That is not a big deal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dostortas said:

Both Air Canada and Westjet are offering free, yes that’s right, free covid travel insurance to any passengers flying to Mexico and the Caribbean.  The Canadian Airlines are also lobbying the government to do free covid testing at major Canadian airports.  My understanding is Air Canada has offered to pick up the cost for airport testing.  They’re eager to increase air travel.  

Trip must be for 21 days or less. 

• Like 1

You'd think reading some of these posts that the whole of Canada was waist deep in snow for 6 months of the year. Canadians who live on the west coast certainly don't have to spend the winters shovelling their way out the driveway, plugging in their car overnight, or scrapping ice off the windshield. It snows occasionally, but then it melts. Nor is there much snow in parts of the BC interior, like the Okanagan and Similkameen valleys.

Now I don't happen to like cold weather myself, but I know lots of people who do- they like downhill or cross-country skiing, skating, snowboarding, they don't mind bundling up to go outside.

I can assure you that the majority of Canadians, (and the majority do not escape for the winter) don't spend the winter "suffering" and feeling sorry for themselves, although everyone is always glad to see springtime roll around.

Ah, but the ones who do  suffer and who literally hate the cold, snowy months... well, they'd be like Daisy who posted "I am done with that". The question was "Why would Canadians return", and a few of us were just offering some reasons. I don't think any of us were implying that all Canadians feel this way. Where I come from in the midwest I guess you could say, we are waist deep in snow for 6 months, and I would much rather return here.

6 hours ago, Dostortas said:

What would go over better with most potential travelers, is not using the middle seats.....

5 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

Ah, but the ones who do  suffer and who literally hate the cold, snowy months... well, they'd be like Daisy who posted "I am done with that". The question was "Why would Canadians return", and a few of us were just offering some reasons. I don't think any of us were implying that all Canadians feel this way. Where I come from in the midwest I guess you could say, we are waist deep in snow for 6 months, and I would much rather return here.

Seriously is it that such a ball breaker, having to stay at home for one season..given the possible alternative danger???

• Like 1

Seems odd these facts are just coming out now, about a woman who died onboard an aircraft in July, of Covid.  And they still won't report the name of the airline.  Cover-up?

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/woman-dies-on-flight-covid-19

By Maggie O'Neill  October 19, 2020

A female Texas resident in her thirties died of COVID-19 on a flight going from Arizona to Texas, NBC Dallas Fort Worth reported Sunday. The woman passed away before the flight took off, while the plane was still sitting on the runway, or tarmac.

According to ABC affiliate WFAA, the woman passed away on July 25, but officials didn’t know she had died from COVID-19 until recently.

The COVID-19 victim, who was a resident of Garland, Texas, started having difficulty breathing and was given oxygen, but the treatment didn’t help.

Also unclear is which airline the victim was flying on, and, therefore, what—if any—safety precautions had been put in place on her flight. It's also unclear where exactly she picked up the virus, though Jenkins said "contact took place in Arizona," in his interview with WFAA.

The story may continue to develop: Since running the story, WFAA requested more information on the situation from the City of Garland, Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and Dallas Love Field airports, and Southwest and American Airlines, but has yet to hear back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Seems odd these facts are just coming out now, about a woman who died onboard an aircraft in July, of Covid.  And they still won't report the name of the airline.  Cover-up?

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/woman-dies-on-flight-covid-19

By Maggie O'Neill  October 19, 2020

A female Texas resident in her thirties died of COVID-19 on a flight going from Arizona to Texas, NBC Dallas Fort Worth reported Sunday. The woman passed away before the flight took off, while the plane was still sitting on the runway, or tarmac.

According to ABC affiliate WFAA, the woman passed away on July 25, but officials didn’t know she had died from COVID-19 until recently.

The COVID-19 victim, who was a resident of Garland, Texas, started having difficulty breathing and was given oxygen, but the treatment didn’t help.

Also unclear is which airline the victim was flying on, and, therefore, what—if any—safety precautions had been put in place on her flight. It's also unclear where exactly she picked up the virus, though Jenkins said "contact took place in Arizona," in his interview with WFAA.

The story may continue to develop: Since running the story, WFAA requested more information on the situation from the City of Garland, Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and Dallas Love Field airports, and Southwest and American Airlines, but has yet to hear back.

Good grief the plane hadn't even left the ground when she died which suggests that she had had covid-19 for some time so it has nothing to do with the airline  What facts? It seems more odd that you suggest somehow that the airline was at fault and there was a coverup. Please find something else to do. In addition what does this have to do with us Canadians flying here? Arizona to Texas has nothing to do with Canada to here.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

If sick enough that she died while awaiting take-off, why was she allowed to board???  Airlines are supposed to be monitoring for symptoms.  Not blaming airline for her death, but seems to be lack of reporting on this, lack of contact tracing, lack of pre-boarding screening for passengers.  

The airlines are begging us to return to the skies, telling us it's safe.  I doubt they are telling us the whole truth.  Yes, covering up. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, cedros said:

That is not a big deal.

Gee.... you must know some very different Canadians than I do.  Every single part-timer on my side of this comment takes extra-special precaution to not be out of Canada longer than allowed in order to maintain their health care coverage. So yes, fear of being "stranded"  is another factor to them.

I actually know 2 who didn't respect the "rules" before CoV even started, and both were nailed since passports now track your time  home and away.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Dostortas said:

The free insurance I saw advertised by Air Canada was very limited to certain dates.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

If sick enough that she died while awaiting take-off, why was she allowed to board???  Airlines are supposed to be monitoring for symptoms.  Not blaming airline for her death, but seems to be lack of reporting on this, lack of contact tracing, lack of pre-boarding screening for passengers.  

The airlines are begging us to return to the skies, telling us it's safe.  I doubt they are telling us the whole truth.  Yes, covering up. 

Why don't you apply for the job of reporting every incident of covid19 imaginable[pun intended] that you feel is under reported the expert that you are-eh!

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Why don't you apply for the job of reporting every incident of covid19 imaginable[pun intended] that you feel is under reported the expert that you are-eh!

Get a grip, gramps.  The story says the woman died on an airplane from Covid, while still on the tarmac.  Many questions being asked now, after it seems the airline hid this for several months (she died on July 25th).  US Airlines have been required to report all deaths on airlines for decades yet the media cannot find a report of this one.  

If you want to ignore the fact that a woman so sick that she died before the plane even took off  was allowed to board a plane during Covid with no screening, where there is no report of the death as required by law, go ahead.  Maybe you don't fly much, but pre-Covid we flew monthly and yes, I want to be sure airlines are being honest about conditions.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Boy, your sweet sunny disposition has really taken a hit of late - we know you hate sharing the board with the rest of us but try to be nicer. SNORK

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1