Chapala.com Webboard

Need "O Negative" Blood Donors age 65 or under

We need two O Negative blood donors for a patient who has already received blood during surgery.  The requested donations are to replace the blood at the blood bank.  The biggest restriction is that donors must be age 18-65 and be quite healthy.  But there is an extensive list of specific requirements for donors that is too long to post here.  It covers medications, diseases, surgery, dental work, alcohol and drugs, sometimes with specific waiting periods.  You would be donating for a specific patient. 

If you are O Negative, age 65 or under, and willing to go to Hospital Country 2000 in Guadalajara to donate blood, please contact Lynn Cleek  dcokiemex@gmail.com (331) 700-4431 for the list of requirements, address and arrangements..  Specify if you want the translated English list or the Spanish brochure.  Friends of the patient will pay for a driver to take a qualified donor to Guadalajara, if needed.  It is about an 1 ½ hour trip each way and it takes 2-3 hours for the blood donation. 

Thank you for considering this. 

The biggest problem is not the age in your case but the type of blood .

O negative is rare in Mexco. The same happened to us when my husband got surgery and we did not find any O negative.. then the next problem is that they turn down a lot of people  who could donate but have health problem. are anemic, have high blood sugarc and on and on.. Good luck to you. t was the same blood bank we owed blood too.. then they turned down the O positive people because they had too many of them ,so we gave up.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bmh said:

The biggest problem is not the age in your case but the type of blood .

O negative is rare in Mexco. The same happened to us when my husband got surgery and we did not find any O negative.. then the next problem is that they turn down a lot of people  who could donate but have health problem. are anemic, have high blood sugarc and on and on.. Good luck to you. t was the same blood bank we owed blood too.. then they turned down the O positive people because they had too many of them ,so we gave up.

I am glad to hear your experience.  Initially we were told three O negative OR two O negative and one O positive donor were acceptable.  A young Mexican friend who was O positive went to the Country 2000 blood bank this morning.   Initially she was turned down because she was O positive.  We were shocked because we thought we were complying with their request.  Then the blood bank staff reconsidered and said they would take her.  Then she was turned down again because some “blood level” was too low.   The patient has two gringo friends who are O negative, but of course, they are too old.   I am surprised the blood bank does not accept any type of blood they can get, but maybe they do not have the storage facilities.  I asked the blood bank what would happen if we could not get suitable donors, and I was told that the patient would be charged for the blood transfusion service, but not for the blood, regardless of whether we found donors or not.  I gather nothing happened when you gave up on providing donors.

I was told years ago (can't remember by who) that some hospitals will accept older donors, but they don't make that public knowledge. Do check with Cruz Roja - I know they had a list of possible donors but I don't know the current status. LCS was considering maintaining a list as well so check with them as well.