Chapala.com Webboard

Buying a new flat screen TV

cookj5

The big flat screen TV that was in our house when we bought it five years ago has finally crapped out. It is probably at least 10 years old. We want to replace it with a new one but are somewhat baffled at our choices. The selection at Walmart (we don't want to drive to Guad), primarily included the LG and Samsung brands. We want something fairly simple that we can hook up to our Shaw cable and to our DVD player. What we found seemed to be much more complex than that, with all sorts of complicated options that we'll probably never use. 

Also, with our old TV we could control the on/off, channels, and video source either with the remote or with a set of buttons on the side of the TV. However, the new ones don't come with control buttons on the side or back. Apparently, the only way you can control them is with the remote and if your remote goes out, you are screwed until you can get it fixed or replaced. We want something that is of good quality, relatively simple, and that doesn't require a Phd. in Electronics to operate.

Any suggestions? Other brands to look at? Just try to get our old TV fixed?

Well if it had to go it was a good time Amazon is starting their prime deals. It's like the old Black Friday Deals You do not have to sign up for prime membership. And Walmart is even trying to compete. Google 2020 Amazon Prime day deals. Or check this site out I just saw a 50inch for less than 200.

https://www-cnet-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/prime-day-2020-deals-available-now-25-blink-mini-28-roku-4k-300-toshiba-55-inch-tv-and-more/#ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnet.com%2Fnews%2Fprime-day-2020-deals-available-now-10-smart-plug-2-pack-28-roku-4k-300-toshiba-55-inch-tv-and-more%2F

And you can use Amazon.com (just look to see if they ship to mexico) or Amazon.com.mx They use UPS, FedEx, and DHL. I order all the time from both sites. And you login works for both when you setup account.

Just don't send items through a mail forward account. Amazon adds all the customs and what not. If you use a mail forwarded like handymail or ishop they are going to charge you a large fee. You can put multiple addresses in your account. I have several and I have things sent all the time here to Chapala.

Liverpool has a good selection of TVs of all sizes and prices on their website. They post photos of the front, back and side and include technical specifications like number of HDMI and USB ports and if it supports RCA jack inputs. The price posted is the final price and they will deliver although it can take a couple of weeks. They only send a truck to this area once a week.

Personally I don't like the new Samsung remotes. They are quite small with minimal buttons and rely on menu choices displayed on the TV. In the dark it is almost impossible to figure out which button to depress.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RickS said:

I'm with John. I like Samsung TVs but their new remotes are tiny, black on black and I'll be damned if I can see the buttons that do exist!

Yep, it's pretty much black on black with little tactile feeling for few the buttons on it. The design makes it slim for sure but tough to use, especially the center area.

remote.jpg.14cb8962e0f1762545e70d0b3214b528.jpg

Just went through this three months ago when my old flat screen wall mounted TV died. Calvario's in SJC couldn't fix it. To make a long story short, I bought one through Walmart ONLINE because they didn't have what I wanted in the store. I picked what I wanted in the online catalogue then took that information to the kiosk just inside (and to the left of the entrance). Set up an account there BUT took the invoice to pay at the Wally cashiers. Took the paid receipt back to the kiosk and they gave me my copy with my receipt attached. It was delivered to the Walmart store and, when I got an e-mail, I picked it up there two days later. Not complicated but I did it this way because I didn't want to input my credit card info to the Walmart site and I didn't want it delivered to my house.

This is what I bought (and I have always been happy with Samsung) https://www.walmart.com.mx/tv-y-video/pantallas/4k-ultra-hd/tv-samsung-55-pulgadas-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-led-un55tu6900fxzx_00750940182154

It adjusts picture brightness automatically according to the light in the room.

The model numbers are pretty standard and I would suggest you start on an English website after making a note of the ports that you are currently using with your other equipment. My only requirement was an HDMI port (and the above TV has three).

I REALLY wanted The Frame by Samsung which makes the TV look like a framed piece of art on your wall when you're not watching it. I talked myself out of it... and I shouldn't have.

3 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I would not invest in good video unless it used OLED technology. It is so good it made all the LED people use QLED to describe their older screens. See one OLED, you deserve the best.

For a discussion of certain issues re OLED burn-in, Pl. see: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/oled-screen-burn-in-what-you-need-to-know-now/ 

I use large HDMI screens driven by networked laptops for both computer monitors and entertainment video, and the static Windows interface at least seems as if it would probably scar an OLED display for life because I sometimes leave the things on for months at a time.  This site seems to take reviewing seriously: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch - look around the reviews and become familiar with the relevant issues. Modern screens are spectacular.

I attended the seminar at Berkeley maybe twenty years ago when somebody announced the results of a big study of the viability of OLED for displays, and they knew the technology had limitations, including mainly the possibly that their lifespan might be limited due to organic oxidation.  A superior new technology, MicroLED, is being hyped but it so far has manufacturing issues and is absurdly expensive. See: https://www.cnet.com/news/microled-could-soon-replace-oled-screens-samsung-first-line-try/

I own the first OLED TV set LG made.  The good is the best color and black and white picture around.  The bad is its not the brightest set in the world. Yes OLED is more prone to burn in problems like plasma sets were.  Mine is fine.  Would I get another as they are more expensive?    Yes if I have the same dark room I have now.  Lots of windows and such pick another technology for your TV. If you watch lots of black and white movies as I do OLED can't be beat. 

I also ordered from Walmart  at the online order desk. TV delivered to our house in 2 days. I went with a Samsung Crystal 8000 series in 50 inch. One of the few TV's  I could find with a motion rate of 120.  I can't find the same tv online there anymore, must have sold them out.