Chapala.com Webboard

Fastest internet provider

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

My Telmex is usually about 17-19 down and 4-5 up. I am on copper not fiber optic.  There is no "standard" for most Telmex.  

You are lucky to have this speed especially the upload speed. You do not have a normal DSL connection.  You must be very close to the switch or you are hooked up to a repeater.  Five houses and all were 10 down .5 up.   Things may change I admit.  Telmex just moved someone into our neighborhood and gave them 1 down and .05 up. Boy were they upset as they had 15 down before.  Maybe Telmex speed is best explained by saying it all depends.

At 

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

I have a normal DSL connection.  I do not have a repeater.   The nearest switch is about 2km . I have seen many people report they are receiving similar speeds from Telcel.  

Telmex has the repeater not you.   In Las Salvias (less than 2km from switch)we had 3 down until they put a repeater in than we got 10.  Lots of repeaters in area these days I guess.  I assume you meant Telmex not Telcel in your post. If you meant Telcel thats a whole different conversation.  You can go to internet and put in your numbers and get the max speed for distance if you are curious.  

I'm thinking that by 'repeaters' you are suggesting that Telmex has run a fiber connection, FTTN,  out to a box near you and to a DSLAM card which then picks up copper to the house. Common. I *think* that all those copper connections are VDSL2. Since they *usually* serve a 'neighborhood', the speeds are better than the old ADSL runs of a kilometer or more. VDSL typically is twice as fast as ADSL all things considered and when you throw in shorter distances from the DSLAM one typically gets better speeds.

But the devil is in the details.....  there are a couple of flavors of both ADSL and VDSL.  VDSL and VDSL2 support much faster speeds than ADSL,  BUT those speeds deteriorate 'quickly'. After about 1km both VDSLs exhibit the same top speed and at about 1.5km they perform about like ADSL2. And actually at about 1km, ADSL2+ outperforms them all out past 3km where they all go to hell.

I *think* that VDSLs were introduced in conjunction with or about the time of the advent of FTTN... Fiber to the Node. So past the node VDSLs could provide much better speeds 'for shorter distances in the neighborhood' than ADSL could have.

45 minutes ago, RickS said:

But the devil is in the details.....  there are a couple of flavors of both ADSL and VDSL.  VDSL and VDSL2 support much faster speeds than ADSL,  BUT those speeds deteriorate 'quickly'. After about 1km both VDSLs exhibit the same top speed and at about 1.5km they perform about like ADSL2. And actually at about 1km, ADSL2+ outperforms them all out past 3km where they all go to hell.

I *think* that VDSLs were introduced in conjunction with or about the time of the advent of FTTN... Fiber to the Node. So past the node VDSLs could provide much better speeds 'for shorter distances in the neighborhood' than ADSL could have.

I would venture to say that 95% of folks have no idea what any of all this gobbledygook means!!! All they have to do is log on to a speed test site such as fast.com and check what they are actually getting. Is that so difficult???  

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

I would venture to say that 95% of folks have no idea what any of all this gobbledygook means!!! All they have to do is log on to a speed test site such as fast.com and check what they are actually getting. Is that so difficult???  

Even if that is true, that 5% have a right to post here and speak with each other. Also, there are people who are interested in and capable of learning stuff they do not already know. Skip over stuff you are not interested in. 

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

It depends upon whether or not you have a dial-up or dial-down connection. How fast is your upload and download dialup speed, greengo?

And is your connection a dial-up or dial-down connection between your WiFi Modem and your ISP?

12 hours ago, Upfront said:

you do not even have a clue what i was referring to. that says it all

noun, plural re·vers  [ri-veerz, -vairz].

a part of a garment turned back to show the lining or facing, as a lapel.
a trimming simulating such a part.
the facing used.

You are right...I do not have a clue!!!

19 hours ago, RickS said:

I'm thinking that by 'repeaters' you are suggesting that Telmex has run a fiber connection, FTTN,  out to a box near you and to a DSLAM card which then picks up copper to the house. Common. I *think* that all those copper connections are VDSL2. Since they *usually* serve a 'neighborhood', the speeds are better than the old ADSL runs of a kilometer or more. VDSL typically is twice as fast as ADSL all things considered and when you throw in shorter distances from the DSLAM one typically gets better speeds.

Yes. In the old days the two wire connection went from your modem to the phone switch directly and now everything is different.  Now we have an alphabet of things going on but we still have problems at least locally.  In our neighborhood in S.E. San Antonio they just gave my neighbor one down and .05 up.  Once again the answer to what can I get is it all depends. 

• Like 1