Chapala.com Webboard

Fastest internet provider

I have 300 down but I have fiber.  Down the street they are lucky to have 3 because of distance problems from DSL switch. As previous poster said it all depends.  More details and maybe we can be more helpful.  Basically we have all Fiber ILOX with up to 350 last I checked, Telmex has regular 2 wire DSL with 3 to 30 or a Fiber system with 100 plus available, Wiz is your basic cable modem with 10 for basic service. We also have from Telcel a wireless cell phone modem available but it is expensive.  A couple of other fiber companies are around but I know nothing about them. 

Good Luck in the internet roulette we have here.

Hi  I am so frustrated...my buzz keeps shutting off or pausing or doing anything but acting correctly!  or properly! I have telmex.  Should I try something else?  I live in south Riberas near Mom's deli.

And whom would you recommend to come look at my connection/set-up?

thanks

non-techie

TelMex is "stuttering" quite regularly these days.  Pretty clear they don't have the bandwidth to meet the demand.  And they aren't doing anything about it either.

All of the local providers suck IMO.  The contrast with the service our college students receive in GDL, for less money, is stunning.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, lemondrop6 said:

A

What are my choices for internet provider and should I bring my modem from USA. Which provider has fastest speed?

Whether your "Modem" from the US will be of any value depends on what kind of service you currently have and by whom.  Modems are specific to the service and provider.

If you actually mean "Router" rather than modem.... they are two different animals... then yes of course bring the router down as it will work 'behind' anybody's modem to provide extra connections and probably better wifi connections. (But be aware that house walls here are concrete rather than wood/sheetrock, so wifi signals within the casa rooms will not be as strong normally)

Otherwise you have been given answers to the other part of your question, especially from lcscats.... IT DEPENDS, and you won't know what is available where and how good and/or fast it is until you pick a casa/area here. If Internet is important to you.... and to whom is it not!?..... then don't pick a casa before you ask the neighbors around it how their speed and service is with whomever they use. 

A few year ago Internet speed here was not nearly as good as NOB, the service was basically either low speed DSL or Cable but the service was fairly decent. Fast forward to today and the speeds/availability are much better but the consistency of service, both the signal and the company(s) response to problems, is pi$$ poor at best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2020 at 11:44 PM, lemondrop6 said:

A

What are my choices for internet provider and should I bring my modem from USA. Which provider has fastest speed?

If internet is very important to you, get 2 services.  We've done that since first moving here in 2008; it is worth the extra expense.  All services here fail at times, often for no discernible reason.

• Like 1

One way to get that backup is to use your cellphone as a backup. If your primary service is inoperative, one can use their cellphone as a hotspot and tether your computer or tablet to it. This of course assumes that your cellphone has good service at your house and that you have a data plan, which most do.  Probably not a good alternative for streaming movies due to high data use, but works fine for surfing and emails, etc. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am in lower Riberas just down from the 711. I have both Telmex and iLox. The Telmex (599 pesos per month) is a steady 20 (twenty) mbps down and 5 up. My iLox connection (the cheapest) is 50 to 60 down and 20 up. Neither is perfect because either one can drop out BUT it's nice to have options and, in the event of a power failure, I can plug my !diot phone (from Walmart) into the wall connection and get a dial tone. I did not get the iLox phone because of its known problems.

I've posted this before and I really don't understand why people don't go this route.

I live in San Nicolas where there is no internet service. Telmex does not have anything to my development and Telmex told their service in San Nicolas is not good. 

I had Tecel for my phone but it only was 3g with about 2-5 mb download so it was to slow for almost anything. I did a lot of research online and talking with others in the business.  

I bought a Panda Networks cellular signal booster for $250 US. It's for Telcel 3g &4g.  There is an exterior antenna and interior antenna all the cable and the booster.  I mounted the exterior antenna on a 10 pole on top of my roof. Ran the cable down and through my exterior wall to the signal booster. The wired the interior antenna on the wall in my living room. 

The results are that I went from 3g 2-5mb to 4G 80MB download. Telcels plan unlimited no throttle till 100GB $399. 

Gris franja azul kit.jpg

IMG_20200210_120225.jpg

IMG_20200212_071105.jpg

• Like 1

Hey JGiff. They say if you try hard enough, you can usually find a solution to your problem, slow internet in your case.

May I be one of the many envious neighbors to congratulate you for finding a solution to your slow internet.

• Like 2

Good show JGiff. Chump change to get superior Internet at a very nominal price.  And if one can't manage the installation.... such a climb.... then there are plenty Mexican Nationals who are young and willing to help you out I'll bet. 

4 hours ago, Upfront said:

its the "I've posted this before and I really don't understand why people don't go this route. " i dont like

like is aid try being a little friendlier. did not say anything about the method.

Omg!!!! 

I posted this to help people. I really don't understand what you are so pissed off about. I can not climb ladders, I'm not rich and this helps not having to have 2 services like many do. I hired a Mexican friend to install this and paid him well as I do with with all the work I have him do. 

I said what I said as not to insinuate that people should do as me. 

Take some midol and talk to us after your period is over. 

No offense to the ladies 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, JGiff said:

Omg!!!! 

I posted this to help people. I really don't understand what you are so pissed off about. I can not climb ladders, I'm not rich and this helps not having to have 2 services like many do. I hired a Mexican friend to install this and paid him well as I do with with all the work I have him do. 

I said what I said as not to insinuate that people should do as me. 

Take some midol and talk to us after your period is over. 

No offense to the ladies 

I don’t know how ladies feel about your remark but as a woman I am offended by your misogynistic remark. You seem completely tone deaf — and about 40 years behind the times. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Xena said:

I don’t know how ladies feel about your remark but as a woman I am offended by your misogynistic remark. You seem completely tone deaf — and about 40 years behind the times. 

Well Jeff I guess you did find a lady out there...so my friend " The facts ,just the facts man". 

My thanks for sharing, I to am a neophyte in that area 

On 10/26/2020 at 3:39 PM, lemondrop6 said:

Are there any communities in lake chapala area that have high speed internet available? Is anyone out there that is happy with internet provider. Are my choices Iloc and telmex? Any communities with no service/internet disruptions?

Yes, there are communities with high speed internet available, mine included. I have Telmex fiber, and pay 499 pesos/month for 50mbs Internet and my phone with worldwide service. I have the option to increase speed to 150 mbs for another 100 pesos if I ever need it. It's very reliable, and the voice service is very clear. I'm very happy with the service.

Just one data point in answer to your question.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 9:24 PM, Upfront said:

well arent we precious. maybe not everyone has the money or the climbing ability. try being a little more understanding.

Someone pee on your cornflakes this morning?   Actually he wrote a nice article with all the information needed and pictures and you are unhappy. 

Another issue is speed up.  For example standard for most Telmex is 10 down and .5 going up.  So if you are working and moving large files up you need to take consideration of up speeds.  Another example is my ILOX which has 300 down but 60 up.  Cable modems (wiz) tend to have higher up speeds compared to DSL (telmex)when both have 10 down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lcscats said:

Another issue is speed up.  For example standard for most Telmex is 10 down and .5 going up.  So if you are working and moving large files up you need to take consideration of up speeds.  Another example is my ILOX which has 300 down but 60 up.  Cable modems (wiz) tend to have higher up speeds compared to DSL (telmex)when both have 10 down. 

My Telmex is usually about 17-19 down and 4-5 up. I am on copper not fiber optic.  There is no "standard" for most Telmex.  

• Like 1