Chapala.com Webboard

No Masks In Businesses, Disheartening

1 hour ago, oregontochapala said:

I call B.S because I have now been in both offices multiple times when masks were not being worn by receptionists and care providers.

It's so disrespectful of other posters here to basically call you a liar simply because everyone happened to be wearing masks when they went there. As if no one could possibly have a different experience than they did.

And you are quite correct- if people who work somewhere only put on their masks when there are clients or customers there, that does little to protect others. All their aerosols are hanging in the air. This is the primary means of transmission-aerosols in an enclosed space. And if the place has AC and doors and windows closed, it's even more dangerous.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

35 minutes ago, johanson said:

I guess they are a little stricter up here in Seattle where at least 95% of us wear masks. I sure hope I can get a corona virus vaccine shot soon, so that I can come back home (Ajijic)

You keep saying that, Pete. You need to accept that in all probability there will not be a vaccine available to the general public (including the old farts) until late spring or summer 2021 at the earliest. Decide you are in Seattle until at least then or suck it up, put on a mask and face shield, and come on home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems we can only control our own actions and behaviors.  I "double bag" it when I go out for essential errands.  I wear my face mask AND face shield, wash my hands, sanitize when I return to my car, spray my shoes with disinfectant, etc.

I'm doing everything I possibly can to avoid this dreadful and potentially deadly virus.  While it deeply saddens me to put my life on hold, I would like to hang onto whatever life I have left and want to ensure I don't unwittingly pass on this virus to someone with an immune system that cannot provide safety and life for themselves and others.

Although I'm from GA, I was brought up to be polite, considerate, caring, compassionate and to consider the needs of others, not just my own needs and desires.

Salud,

Val Jones :)

• Like 3

I was at Quality Care on Wednesday. The receptionist kept letting her mask slide down below her nose but everyone was wearing masks and they were definitely required for patients as well. I also went across the parking area and had xrays done and everyone there had masks on as well. Hopeflly OregontoChapala's experience was a fluke and not a regular occurance:/ 

I walk around town daily, I see expats all over the place walking around without facemasks or with them below the nose.  When they go into any store they put them on or slide it up over their nose.  But the minute they get out of the store, they rip that sucker off or immediately slide it below their nose so they can breath fresh air again.  I feel sorry for the store and office employees that are required to wear these all day long in hot stuffy buildings.  They are expected to breath their own germs, breath, and exhaust all day long.  Well, surprise surprise they don't.  The minute the customer leaves they all pull them down to savor the luxury of breathing in delicious fresh air.  They keep them down or off until the next customer pops through the door.  In the meantime, they have already potentially contaminated all the air and surfaces around them in thousands of water droplets contaminated with the Coronavirus.  Why does anybody think that if the employee suddenly puts on the mask, the customer is instantly safe?  That is so rediculous and naive.  The masks may indeed help somewhat to contain some of the droplets but it's not a lot of protection since the virus can virtually get on everyone and everything we encounter.  In all honesty, the whole thing we are playing is simply a game, the mask wearing is just done as a facade so they can stay open.  Its all for sole appearances, the second its possible the masks come down or come off.  Anyways, the masks that you see people wear, probably 90% have never been properly washed, they are over used, dirty and germy in most cases anyhow.  Remember the old adage about security?  True security does not even remotely exist, it is all about the appearance of security which is the deterrence factor.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/8/2020 at 2:54 PM, Dostortas said:

Many of my Mexicans friends have told me they don’t feel comfortable with confrontation.  Perhaps some of the store owners and employees don’t feel comfortable enforcing the protocols for that reason.  We’ve all read those stories about employees suffering abuse from some patron that became unhinged because they were asked to where a mask.  To me it seems pretty simple, if you want to go to a store, wear a mask and keep appropriate distance or if you don’t want to wear a mask, don’t go to the store.  For many small businesses here, people live in the same place where they work.  I sympathize with the challenges some may face trying to make a living in these times.  

What you say is correct. However the original poster says the employees were the ones not wearing masks. This has nothing to do with being uncomfortable with confrontation. It has to do with lax management and employees who don't give a rip who they infect--and infections are increasing rapidly in Jalisco.

10 hours ago, ea93105 said:

I find it quite interesting that seat belt laws are accepted without massive social revolt, but masks ? omg my freedom ( i,e,  my vanity )

Interesting post but when belts laws were enforced big stink in many places. I still have friends that won't wear them. (maybe it says something about my friends 🙂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

I walk around town daily, I see expats all over the place walking around without facemasks or with them below the nose.  When they go into any store they put them on or slide it up over their nose.  But the minute they get out of the store, they rip that sucker off or immediately slide it below their nose so they can breath fresh air again.  I feel sorry for the store and office employees that are required to wear these all day long in hot stuffy buildings.  They are expected to breath their own germs, breath, and exhaust all day long.  Well, surprise surprise they don't.  The minute the customer leaves they all pull them down to savor the luxury of breathing in delicious fresh air.  They keep them down or off until the next customer pops through the door.  In the meantime, they have already potentially contaminated all the air and surfaces around them in thousands of water droplets contaminated with the Coronavirus.  Why does anybody think that if the employee suddenly puts on the mask, the customer is instantly safe?  That is so rediculous and naive.  The masks may indeed help somewhat to contain some of the droplets but it's not a lot of protection since the virus can virtually get on everyone and everything we encounter.  In all honesty, the whole thing we are playing is simply a game, the mask wearing is just done as a facade so they can stay open.  Its all for sole appearances, the second its possible the masks come down or come off.  Anyways, the masks that you see people wear, probably 90% have never been properly washed, they are over used, dirty and germy in most cases anyhow.  Remember the old adage about security?  True security does not even remotely exist, it is all about the appearance of security which is the deterrence factor.

Try wearing a surgeons mask available at Guad Pharmacy.  They are much easier to breath than K95/KN95  or cloth masks especially the double cloth kind.   I walk 20,000 to 30,000 steps a day wearing one no problems.  I did fine the KN95 masks to be a little harder to breath with climbing hills.  Tested my oxygen with mask on for an hour and I read 97 which is normal without mask reading.  Save the K95/KN95 mask for airplanes.  Surgeon mask test quite well against the virus contrary to what people think.

15 hours ago, vetteforron said:

What if all Mexican businesses quit wearing masks. Would expats just starve or leave? Just asking. 

It won't come down to that binary choice.  There are businesses here whose clientele are primarily expats.  The couple with their Costco delivery service and a few Ajijic restaurants come to mind.  I don't see them shooting themselves in their collective feet.  🔫🦶

The suggestion to wear a surgical mask instead of an N95 mask is not a good one except for appearances.  Yes, the surgical mask will help minimize the amount of virus you spew into the air.  But, as they are not tight around the edges, the virus particles will just flow around the mask both while breathing in and out.  The N95 masks have 2 straps, one toward the lower back of your head, the other toward the top back.  They have a metal piece which you press down around your nose.  If properly worn, if you place your hand over them and hold the mask close while you exhale, you should not feel air blow out around the mask; all breath goes through the mask.  That assures that all breath, either in or out, goes through the mask filter.  That protects both you from other's infections and them from yours.  But only as long as you wear it properly.  And, if worn properly, your glasses won't fog up.

By the way, when I did fit tests to OSHA standards, facial hair where the mask contacts the skin would disqualify the wearer unless it was well gooped up with petroleum jelly or Vicks.

• Like 1

About 15 years ago when we opened our nursing home Sara made the rule if a caregiver or nurse or anyone including us if we felt sick do not come to work. Even the good old fashion flu is deadly to our demographic. 

During the height of the pandemic we took no chances.  In the back ground is a table where everything is put to be disinfected before entering our home.  

acbe1b17-48af-4141-91d1-2fd9e5fc8a6a.jpeg

2 hours ago, bmh said:

during the height of the pandemic?? It is right now ,no? 

NO! https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

There was one day a few days ago cases shot up then dropped back to normal. Plus hospital cases was about 19% last time Bisbee posted. So I would I would say things are showings signs of improvement. 

Weekly and monthly charts may be more useful for trendlines.  

Here are charts showing new cases by the week, as well as deaths occurring within a month.  

And yes yes yes, I agree that the data we get is sketchy at best, but it's all we have.   fyi, @vetteforron the hospital occupancy ticked up ever so slightly and is at 20.5% as of yesterday.

Weekly case increases between July 2nd and Oct. 8th in Chapala. Data from Official Jalisco State Government Covid site, https://coronavirus.jalisco.gob.mx/

Date             Cases       New Weekly Cases

July 2nd         33            -

July 9th          36             3

July  16th       37              1

July  23rd       41             4

July 30th        43             2

Aug. 6th          52             9

Aug. 13th        61              9

Aug. 20th        74            13

Aug. 27th         87           13

Sept. 3rd          94            7

Sept. 10th        98            4

Sept. 17th       112           14

Sept. 24th      123           11

Oct. 1st           133           10

Oct. 8th          148           15

DEATHS Reported by MONTH by the Federal Salud site:

As Of            Accumulated Deaths         New Deaths Reported During Month

June 30th                 1                                     -

July 31st                   4                                     3

Aug. 31st                  5                                     1

Sept. 30th                9                                     4

Yes the cases here are increasing not decreasing and they are increasing in other places in Mexico as well.. and in the States, France, Spain and other countres, we are not out of the barn yet, I wish we were but we are kidding ourselves if we think it is better now, we just are getting more complacent and tired of not being back to normal. 

• Like 2

Complacency kills. You hear of more and more deaths. Then it is someone in your neighborhood, and soon it is a friend who dies. You are slightly less complacent until you feel feverish, and find it hard to breathe.  Then, the gasping begins and panic sets in just before you and your complacence expire.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Complacency kills. You hear of more and more deaths. Then it is someone in your neighborhood, and soon it is a friend who dies. You are slightly less complacent until you feel feverish, and find it hard to breathe.  Then, the gasping begins and panic sets in just before you and your complacence expire.

Fear is what can kill you.  It can eat you up from the inside out.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dostortas said:

Fear is what can kill you.  It can eat you up from the inside out.  

You seem to be saying that fear is the opposite of complacency. It isn't. Not being complacent means doing what is necessary in any given situation. That doesn't equate with fear, it equates with common sense.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

You seem to be saying that fear is the opposite of complacency. It isn't. Not being complacent means doing what is necessary in any given situation. That doesn't equate with fear, it equates with common sense.

No I’m saying we can do without the doom and gloom and be grateful for the good health we have right now.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dostortas said:

No I’m saying we can do without the doom and gloom and be grateful for the good health we have right now.  

Yes, of course we should all be grateful for what we have. But reality is often not pretty. That's no reason to act as if we should only speak of things which are sweetness and light. And it still doesn't explain how you equate voicing reality and speaking of complacency , with fear.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, of course we should all be grateful for what we have. But reality is often not pretty. That's no reason to act as if we should only speak of things which are sweetness and light. And it still doesn't explain how you equate voicing reality and speaking of complacency , with fear.

Most respectfully, that’s your interpretation, not mine.  

• Like 1