Chapala.com Webboard

Mailboxes Plus/VA meds question

The mail forwarding services in Laredo that allow packages must process them through Aduana. Medicine or medical devices can not be imported into Mexico without a license for medical imports. 

Do some items pass through Aduana without being opened?  Of course not all packages are opened. Just be prepared to lose the shipment for being illegal if it is opened or inspected. 

21 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

The mail forwarding services in Laredo that allow packages must process them through Aduana. Medicine or medical devices can not be imported into Mexico without a license for medical imports. 

Do some items pass through Aduana without being opened?  Of course not all packages are opened. Just be prepared to lose the shipment for being illegal if it is opened or inspected. 

Thanks for your reply. Does anyone reading this get their VA meds in this manner? Or do you have another method to accomplish this?

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

I was told by my v a doctor that they will not ship to Mexico but I guess you could have them ship to a friend and then the friend could send them on to Laredo via a mailing service such as soy Luna, but expect a long wait time it you ever receive them 😵😎

Is it possible to fly to San Antonio, for instance, to pick them up and bring them back in?

i have the same issue for insulin pump supplies. The ones I use are not distributed in MX, per the manufacturers, and I can imagine flying every 90 days more easily than giving up my pump or having to buy a new pump and pay out of pocket in Mexico...

The US gov't. has never IMO tried to make it any easier for the million plus expats living SOB (ie Medicare, VA meds). Just two examples of a longer list. They (VA) have a foreign medical program but it only treats the qualifying disability of a service-connected veteran, and only that condition, nothing else.

If I'm wrong here please correct me.

2 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

I wouldn't be too quick to lay all the blame on the US gov't. as there are the foreign governments to consider as well. 

As for the local hospital that claims to bill the VA and Medicare, the bills of numerous patients that I have spoken with directly have been grossly inflated and billing has been done for services not received. Then, when the patient has disputed said bills for services not received, the bills have suddenly become due and the responsibility of the patient.

It is what it is and there are, in my opinion, good reasons why. If you want to live in mexico there are trade-offs and this is one of them. I miss my VA medical care, sure, but I'm not struggling to survive the mess that is the US at this moment in time.

I would miss mine as well, especially the medications. They will add up in Mexico.  26 days from now will tell how much worse/better the mess is going to get.

BTW-I thought there was no Medicare benefits in Mexico, just the USA.

2 hours ago, blankletmusic said:

The US gov't. has never IMO tried to make it any easier for the million plus expats living SOB (ie Medicare, VA meds). Just two examples of a longer list. They (VA) have a foreign medical program but it only treats the qualifying disability of a service-connected veteran, and only that condition, nothing else.

If I'm wrong here please correct me.

There's enough fraud with Medicare in the US to keep every investigator busy 24/7. Can you imagine the fraud if Medicare was ever expanded outside the borders? Fagetaboutit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1