Chapala.com Webboard

Flu shots

I walked over this late morning to Chapala's Centro de Salud. The lady at the door asked me what I needed, I told her, she instructed me to go outside and get in line, and I was third. When it was my turn I entered six feet inside and was inoculated. Total time on site 10 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I walked over this late morning to Chapala's Centro de Salud. The lady at the door asked me what I needed, I told her, she instructed me to go outside and get in line, and I was third. When it was my turn I entered six feet inside and was inoculated. Total time on site 10 minutes.

Is that with IMSS or did you pay personally?

7 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Was everyone (staff and patients) wearing a mask at Chapala's Centro de Salud?

And anyone know if the flu vaccine offered here is the quadrivalent or the trivalent formulation? normal year I’d take either, but during a pandemic, would prefer optimal coverage.

11 minutes ago, InChapala1 said:

Was everyone (staff and patients) wearing a mask at Chapala's Centro de Salud?

And anyone know if the flu vaccine offered here is the quadrivalent or the trivalent formulation? normal year I’d take either, but during a pandemic, would prefer optimal coverage.

I don't think anyone has the huevos to enter their grounds unmasked.

They aren't giving the US version and is targeted for what is expected here, not New Jersey.

This is from  LCS...

The 3 strain is for government hospitals and IMSS etc. and is the shot soon to be made available.

The 4 strain is the shot that LCS has given in the past and is individually packaged.
It is in Mexico but is going through Cofepris before it can be relased, hopefully around the 3rd week of October.  This is the vaccine used for the private sector. This is the shot LCS will use for the health day(s) in 2020.

People need to know there is a difference in flu shots, the 3 strain being less preventative then the 4 strain. It is a person's decision as to which they prefer to get.

LCS will schedule  the health days as soon as the 4 strain is released and made available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You do not need to be an LCS member to participate in ANY medical services at Lake Chapala Society.  I'll post when the dates are available. And all must wear masks and social distance - the health day area will be set up accordingly.

As far as I know the two types I mentioned are the only flu shots available in Mexico.

LCS members do not have priority.. you sign in at arrival.  Two gates are open...the front corner and the back gate on the South Campus where your temp is taken and hand sanitizer available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Ellie said:

This is from  LCS...The 3 strain is for government hospitals and IMSS etc. and is the shot soon to be made available.

The 4 strain is the shot that LCS has given in the past and is individually packaged.
It is in Mexico but is going through Cofepris before it can be relased, hopefully around the 3rd week of October.  This is the vaccine used for the private sector. This is the shot LCS will use for the health day(s) in 2020.

People need to know there is a difference in flu shots, the 3 strain being less preventative then the 4 strain. It is a person's decision as to which they prefer to get.

53 minutes ago, rckrckr said:

Got our flu shots at Hospital San Antonio this morning. Registered in the lobby, no ID requested, and no fee. Very fast. 

FYI  I asked the Hospital today and they said they only have the 3 Strain type, not as effective as 4 Strain which will arrive in a few weeks at LCS.  She did confirm that the 3 Strain given out at SAH has no charge because it is provided free to institutions.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sm1mex said:

SAT hospital. Free just inside front door. Takes about 2 minutes. Eazy pezy. 

It is Strain-3 which is not as preventative as Strain-4, fyi.  Strain-4 will be available here in a few weeks.  

From Livescience.com: 

Flu shots protect against three or four strains of flu virus. Trivalent flu vaccines protect against two influenza A strains — H1N1 and H3N2 — and one influenza B strain. Quadrivalent flu vaccines — offered for the first time in the 2013-2014 flu season — protect against the same strains as the trivalent vaccine, as well as an extra influenza B strain.

3 minutes ago, Upfront said:

seems odd that all these other places are not charging. also knowing the hospital seems surreally cheep

I talked with SAH yesterday.  They told me it is free (no cost) because the government supplies this Strain-3 shot, they are not allowed to charge.  This again, is Strain-3, not as preventative as Strain-4 vaccine.  Strain-4 will be available in 2-3 weeks.  LCS will have it.