Chapala.com Webboard

Has anyone traveled round trip from Mexico to the States during this time? Any problems? 

We are US citizens with permanent resident status in Mexico. 

But in all seriousness, is it not continueing everywhere.  Europe with all its hardcore measures, mandatory mask wearing and quaranting in their small appts for months at a time, and I keep reading about Coronavirus surging across Europe.  I was reading yesterday that they are getting ready to completely shut down the city of Madrid down again.  Are these shut downs slowing down the spread or does it just continue to surge?  I hear it is not surging in Sweden and only 6% even wear masks there.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bmh said:

well you can see why covid continues in the States... Unreal.. 

1 hour ago, oregontochapala said:

It continues for a number of reasons, all involving the selfishness of individuals.

I doubt people quarantine for two weeks on arrival in either country, so both communities are at risk.

I was hoping this would not get ugly but I guess I expected too much.

You have no idea why this trip is necessary for me. Trust me, a lot of thought has gone into this decision.

• Like 2

I can see why people have to come and go when they come from another place but if I have to go home , I have to take a test or stay in quarantine for two weeks,  I

was talking about the government and their measure, not the people have to come and go.

Yes it is surging in Europe again and  we know it is about people not following the rules in the summer.. Some countries are better than others at following up on the contacts of people who were sick.. and isolating people, masks are bnot everythig  but the US does not seem to learn anything from any other country problems..

• Like 2

Yes, but many people are watching how things were done in Sweden, and they like the results.  Sure, their death toll initially was much higher than that of their neighbors (but so is their population.)  Now their casualty rate is much lower than that of their neighbors, and their population never had to suffer the draconian hard core measures of lockdown nor did they suffer from the psychological damage and economical damage that lockdown brings.  Those that unfortunately did die were mostly in nursing homes and the majority of those vulnerable have already been exposed to it or have already died so their lives are allowed to  continue as normal in Sweden.  I would not want to be anywhere near Madrid right now since they are going back in to fruitless lock down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, gogirl said:

You have no idea why this trip is necessary for me. Trust me, a lot of thought has gone into this decision.

Yes, some travel is necessary. I just hope that "a lot of thought" means you'll self-isolate when you get there and also when you return. If govts. aren't mandating that, we have to do the right thing on our own (and if everyone did, there would be no need for govt. mandates).

6 hours ago, mikechapala said:

no problem at all. I traveled 2 times. One time Chicago, one time San Diego. You do not need a covid test. Only fill out at the airport the questionaire and that's it.

I read this as 'while in Mexico airport'. Maybe I did because an earlier post from someone who flew into Chicago talked about masks being mandatory on the airplane and there, and that O'Hare was basically deserted.... only 1 Burger King open....and required temp checks and about 5 stops within to answer questionnaire about Covid before they could get out of the airport.

That does NOT sound like everyone NOB is taking it lightly. Only some, one of which I will not identify here for obvious reasons. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RickS said:

I read this as 'while in Mexico airport'. Maybe I did because an earlier post from someone who flew into Chicago talked about masks being mandatory on the airplane and there, and that O'Hare was basically deserted.... only 1 Burger King open....and required temp checks and about 5 stops within to answer questionnaire about Covid before they could get out of the airport.

That does NOT sound like everyone NOB is taking it lightly. Only some, one of which I will not identify here for obvious reasons. 

of course there is mandatory facemark and temperature measurments. that is normal in these times, but traveling itself is no problem. Not as going to Europe where mandatory covidtests are asked for etc. 

My personal experience . Flew recently to US east coast and most pleasant trip since before 9/11 . Airports super clean and quiet and calm. no crowds/no rushing, no lines anywhere, super easy immigration experience  . Everyone — 100% - masked , social distancing observed and everyone super chill. I fly a few times/year ...If only it was always like this 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/2/2020 at 5:53 PM, dichosalocura said:

Yes, but many people are watching how things were done in Sweden, and they like the results.  Sure, their death toll initially was much higher than that of their neighbors (but so is their population.)  Now their casualty rate is much lower than that of their neighbors, and their population never had to suffer the draconian hard core measures of lockdown nor did they suffer from the psychological damage and economical damage that lockdown brings.  Those that unfortunately did die were mostly in nursing homes and the majority of those vulnerable have already been exposed to it or have already died so their lives are allowed to  continue as normal in Sweden.  I would not want to be anywhere near Madrid right now since they are going back in to fruitless lock down.

Sweden's death total, as of Sept. 22, 2020 is way higher than its neighbors Denmark, Finland, and Norway. It is true that Sweden, with a population of just over 10 million is larger than its neighbors. The other three each have populations of about 5.5 million. So Sweden is about twice as large as each of them. However, Sweden's death total is 5,876 as of Sept. 22. That is 9.3 times as many deaths as Denmark (643 dead), 17.13 times as many as Finland (343 dead) and a whopping 22 times as many as Norway (267). I would call Sweden's record a pretty miserable one, compared to its neighbors. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1113834/cumulative-coronavirus-deaths-in-the-nordics/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 10/2/2020 at 2:43 PM, gogirl said:

Has anyone traveled round trip from Mexico to the States during this time? Any problems? 

We are US citizens with permanent resident status in Mexico. 

I traveled round trip to US twice. March-June to the East Coast (felt safer because my sister's home is totally isolated in a forest and I have Medicare coverage). July-Sept to Missoula Montana (for required surgery). I felt very safe in the airports (Charlotte, Mexico City, Denver, Seattle) because of all the precautions. I wore mask, goggles and a face shield for protection. I had no carry on luggage to store in the overhead bins, only under the seat. No reaching over other people. Only on one flight (in March at the start of Covid) of the total of 8 flights was anyone sitting next to me, the other flights I paid extra for seats to the front and I was the only one in the row (American, Aeromexico, Volaris, Southwest, Alaska). I quarantined completely for 2 weeks after my travel, both in the US (hotel/guest cabin) and at home after I returned to Ajijic.(last time only 10 days).

My experience. No need to make comments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2020 at 9:40 AM, Mainecoons said:

Traveled by car to and from Las Cruces, NM.  Some delay northbound, none southbound.  No special tests or treatment at border.

No intent to hijack.  MC cannot receive PM's.  MC do you happen to know a couple from Las Cruces named George and Margaret Tune?

14 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

No intent to hijack.  MC cannot receive PM's.  MC do you happen to know a couple from Las Cruces named George and Margaret Tune?

And you just hijacked it. No intent, so it just happened on its own. SMH

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, gogirl said:

And you just hijacked it. No intent, so it just happened on its own. SMH

Seriously, typing out SMH does not make you look more intelligent or more youthful.  Using rarely used and rediculous acronyms is extremely annoying and tiresome to any audience.  This ain't the military.  I took up the task of looking it up.  And I don't know why I did (I certainly don't feel more educated.)  But for what its worth, Mr. Google says that SMH just means shaking my head.  Wouldn't it have just been better to spell it out?  

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 4:33 PM, dichosalocura said:

But in all seriousness, is it not continueing everywhere.  Europe with all its hardcore measures, mandatory mask wearing and quaranting in their small appts for months at a time, and I keep reading about Coronavirus surging across Europe.  I was reading yesterday that they are getting ready to completely shut down the city of Madrid down again.  Are these shut downs slowing down the spread or does it just continue to surge?  I hear it is not surging in Sweden and only 6% even wear masks there.

Reports lately say Sweden has been hit harder per capita than her neighbouring countries because they were not stricter.

Europe s surging because they went on vacatons dd not wear masks had weddng and fiestas like they always do in the summer.. now it is back to square one with strong measures so the mask and distancing worked and thie second wave is due to the crazyness that happens every summer.