Chapala.com Webboard

Is Walmart only going to have one entry ?

ea93105

I visited yesterday. The eastern entry/exit will become exit only, one-way towards Chapala. Whether they can enforce that direction or not is an open question, but it probably won't be an entryway. The western entry/exit (between the AutoZone and Domino's) will probably stay the same, although it's not very useful as an exit (hard to head west, why not use the other exit to go east?). The main exit will be at the light (new).Right now, there is no signal for those exiting, so it's a mess; they will need to install another signal and left turn light. Thus the intersection will slow down some, as there is another light sequence to add. But there will be less of the wild-west driving atmosphere than before. Note I said less: this is Mexico, after all.

• Like 2

It is a mess. And with the bike lane in front of HSBC at Laguna mall you need at least 3 pair of eyes to look in all directions. Good it sound like all those illegal right and left turns will not be needed. Time to shop at Soriana for awhile.

34 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

How do you enter the parking lot driving East to West? It was always an illegal (kinda) left turn at the first entryway.

Soon you can only turn left at the Libramiento intersection....without a left turn lane, so they are going to have to red light east bound traffic to allow left turns or who knows what they have planned.

5 hours ago, gringohombre said:

How do you enter the parking lot driving East to West? It was always an illegal (kinda) left turn at the first entryway.

I guess they will have a left turn light where the present light is on the carretera. It looks like there will be only one (or 2) exits and one (or 2 entries)-depending on whether you are going east or west. It can be done with more lights. I will probably be slower but safer. I often feel like I am running the gauntlet coming or going to Walmart. I was rear ended there several years ago.  The other guy paid up as he was at fault.

I just bought a car last year after living here for 12 years without a car - just walking, riding the bus, and an occasional ride.  I'm in culture shock at driving again but especially in Mexico!!  These new highway "upgrades" are a disaster, the work could have been organized much better.  It seems like the carretera was redone with the priority of putting in bike lanes.  Generally a good idea, but with space limitations here it has become much less safe for cars.  The intersection IFO walmart is now treacherous!  I got caught in the left turn lane to go up the libramiento and noticed that the corners are now so sharp that vehicles coming down must almost stop to make the turn safely.  Nobody is used to this!  It's crazy with huge trucks coming down the road.  One was headed right towards me!  Scary!  I hear from a local business owner that there have been a lot of wrecks recently there.  Cuidado!!!

• Sad 1

On 10/3/2020 at 2:31 PM, ea93105 said:

Soon you can only turn left at the Libramiento intersection....without a left turn lane, so they are going to have to red light east bound traffic to allow left turns or who knows what they have planned.

Not even locals know how this will all turn out, hopefully they will install the right lights to make sure we can turn left and or right on a proper signal.

11 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Reading this thread one might think that you folks are somehow being forced to shop at Walmart.

There are really only two places Lakeside with a good and fairly fresh selection-Walmart and Soriana.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, cedros said:

There are really only two places Lakeside with a good and fairly fresh selection-Walmart and Soriana.

I strongly disagree.  I shop at various fruterías in Ajijic as well as at El Torito.  Far fresher than what I see at Walmart, for sure!  

• Like 4

When Walmart arrived, Chapala should have installed a proper intersection (which Walmart would have paid for, probably). Finally they are doing it. When we get used to it, it will probably prove to be to everyone's advantage and hopefully will avoid some of the hassles and accidents that have occurred in the past. It was a dog's breakfast the wayvehicles used all entrances to enter and exit causing confusion. How many times have you seen vehicles exiting by the Auto Zone and edging their way onto the libriamiento? I am sure the guiding lights will come sooner than later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

here is far too much traffic for one entry-exit.

It looks like there will be two entrances and two exits. They will need different traffic lights. They have already changed the operation of one light. It is so crazy there I have been going to Soriana instead. A bit of a mystery as to what they are doing at the previous entrance

On 10/5/2020 at 8:57 AM, Upfront said:

walmart is the worst for many fresh fruit and veg. adults will know all the other local places to buy from and support. but walmart has many other items

I buy a lot of broccoli several times a week for my dogs. In many small stores it is bad even rotten but always fresh and firm at Walmart

8 hours ago, Alfa said:

When Walmart arrived, Chapala should have installed a proper intersection (which Walmart would have paid for, probably). Finally they are doing it. When we get used to it, it will probably prove to be to everyone's advantage and hopefully will avoid some of the hassles and accidents that have occurred in the past. It was a dog's breakfast the wayvehicles used all entrances to enter and exit causing confusion. How many times have you seen vehicles exiting by the Auto Zone and edging their way onto the libriamiento? I am sure the guiding lights will come sooner than later.

Actualy when those traffic lights were installed I recall that the on on the west north side was approximatley in the middle of the juction pf the Libremento! when they moved to the place it is now located they did not change the timimg from yellow to red..that is why if you are now about to cross going west and you catch the yellow you will not beat passing through before the light goes to red!! I hope that I did not make it too complicated!!

And I also recall when Soriana opened there was a light allowing exiting traffic to cross and go south into Chapala....why that was removed is anyones guess

10 hours ago, Upfront said:

walmart is the worst for many fresh fruit and veg. adults will know all the other local places to buy from and support. but walmart has many other items

Many of the local stores (in San Juan Cosala at least) are pretty sad affairs. Poor selection and produce is often gross. (off topic)