Chapala.com Webboard

COVID-19 PCR test for travel

Hello- please forgive my ignorance but I am visiting the area for the 1st time.  Staying in Ajijiic at a B&B from April 22-24 then a couple of days in Guadalajara prior to our departure back to Arizona.  I’m seeking a clinic/hospital in which we can get our covid antigen test while in the area.  I have emailed Chapala San Antonio Hospital but seems there is an issue with the site.  I’d rather get this done on April 24 and locally. The idea of trying to navigate a location in Guadalajara is a bit overwhelming.  
what facilities might I contact that would be near Ajijiic?  Again please forgive the question but I don’t know the area and feeling a bit confused.  Thanks in advance for your help.  

Hi Ann22,

If you live in the US you only need an Antigen Test, Mostlylost has already replied to your question.

I am from Canada and require a different type of test, PCR, which is more expensive and takes time to get the results.

I would go along with  the suggestion......Go Lab in Riberas. Another Lab you might try is Chopo Lab in Ajijic. 376-688 1212 or Best Labs 376-688-1174. Good Luck.

46 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

antigen test 

$ 900 at Go Lab in Riberas del Pilar    Address:   Hidalgo 29B   Phone:376-106-0881

No appointments. Close at 3pm  Results next day

$450 at airport parking garage with copy of reservation results in about 45 minutes

Poster is asking for test on April 24, a Saturday.  I believe Go Lab closes early on Saturdays.

Results are within a FEW HOURS, either by email or hard copy or both.  Get there by 8:30 and you'll have results by 11 (we did).  Happened to be on a Saturday.  

I read somewhere, I think it was Chopo.com.mx that if your antigen test comes back negative you must have a PCR test. Is this true?

1 minute ago, gogirl said:

I read somewhere, I think it was Chopo.com.mx that if your antigen test comes back negative you must have a PCR test. Is this true?

No, not true for travel to US, based on our negative test at Go Labs and what I have heard about every other test site, including the airport.  

23 minutes ago, gogirl said:

I can't imagine someone claiming that. If your test is negative, it's negative. It's up to you whether you accept it or not. Same it if's positive.

2 hours ago, Ann22 said:

Thank you for the information.  I will call these facilities and check on their hours.  Assuming they are all near Ajijiic?  Thanks again!  

The U.S. requirement is to show a negative COVID-19 test, taken within three (3) calendar days of departure. You asked about a test on April 24, then spend "a couple of days in Guadalajara." Make sure 3 days don't elapse between your test and your flight.

2 hours ago, BeanRoy said:

I can't imagine someone claiming that. If your test is negative, it's negative. It's up to you whether you accept it or not. Same it if's positive.

if you do have symptoms and your antigen test comes back negative, Chopo does recommend a subsequent PCR test. Per the website (https://www.chopo.com.mx/guadalajara/pruebas-para-covid-19): "Si tu resultado es NEGATIVO es necesario realizar una PRUEBA DE PCR"

Of course, if you have symptoms, don't skimp, skip the antigen test and get the PCR.

1 hour ago, InChapala1 said:

The U.S. requirement is to show a negative COVID-19 test, taken within three (3) calendar days of departure. You asked about a test on April 24, then spend "a couple of days in Guadalajara." Make sure 3 days don't elapse between your test and your flight.

HI, yes we depart for Arizona on April 26.  So actually I can have my test on the 23rd... my counting was off!  

• 2 weeks later...

I have been uncertain by the different acronyms of tests. So I went to the authority for what is accepted for my upcoming flight into the US.

Quoting the CDC notice (March 2 2021 update) for travel into the US:

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?

Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

19 hours ago, tomwins said:

I have been uncertain by the different acronyms of tests. So I went to the authority for what is accepted for my upcoming flight into the US.

Quoting the CDC notice (March 2 2021 update) for travel into the US:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Translation   An Antigen or PCR test

Since the antigen is cheaper, available in more locations  and results ready in an hour or so it is the majority of tests used by USA bound passengers