Chapala.com Webboard

COVID-19 PCR test for travel

I’m required to have negative results from a COVID-19 PCR test for my upcoming flight. Specifically, the RESULTS need to within 72-hours of my flight.

1.       What’s been your experience with getting the PCR test at these labs: Salud Digna (preferred due to lower price) and Chopo in Guadalajara, and locally at Laboratorio Clinico El Lago in Chapala? (The Guadalajara Reporter mentioned Laboratorio Clinico El Lago in Chapala offers the test locally.)

2.       Any other labs besides Laboratorio Clinico El Lago that offers the test locally?

3.       How many days prior do you recommend I get the test, so that the results are within 72-hours of my flight and did you experience any delays getting the results on time?

4.       Did the lab email the results to you? If I drive to Salud Digna or Chopo in Guad for the test, I’d prefer not to do a second trip just to pick-up the results.

6 hours ago, cedros said:

I notice they are selling do it yourself test kits at Pancho's. 

Are you saying that in jest or is it actually available? I’m aware PCR at-home test kits are available in some countries. A few months ago, the U.S. FDA ‘emergency’ approved one from LabCorp (https://www.pixel.labcorp.com/at-home-test-kits/covid-19-test), but I think they subsequently pulled the emergency approval. To which lab would one send the nasal swab sample for results?

2 hours ago, InChapala1 said:

Are you saying that in jest or is it actually available? I’m aware PCR at-home test kits are available in some countries. A few months ago, the U.S. FDA ‘emergency’ approved one from LabCorp (https://www.pixel.labcorp.com/at-home-test-kits/covid-19-test), but I think they subsequently pulled the emergency approval. To which lab would one send the nasal swab sample for results?

They are sitting there by the cash registers. That is all I know.

• Thanks 1

Hospital San Antonio does Covid 19 PCR Tests.  I went there for one today.  I'm not sick, but I need the test to be admitted to a Guad hospital for minor surgery. 

The cost is high, $6500 Pesos.  It took about an hour for them to get someone suited up in PPE, complete a two page questionaire and shove the swabs up my nose and throat.  They were certain that they would have results by email in between 24 and 48 hours.

I checked Chopo today, they are still referring customers to a Guad facility.  I also went to and talked with the Laboratorio Clinico El Lago facility located behind the bus station in Chapala.  They handle testing in a come one come all format at 7:00 in the morning.  That appeared to me to open up the possibility of actually exposing myself to someone who is infected.   Not interested.

You can get it at no cost in Chiapas if you have symptoms and are willing to stand in a crowd wth symptoms..for a long time.. Yes tests in Mexico are a luxury and they only count people who were confirmed, It gives you a little idea of how undercounted the people with covid are.

The original poster raised a question I've never been able to satisfy in my own mind.

Catch-22:

Countries want PCR test results from within the last 72 hours, but results don't come back for 48 to 72 hours.

When is the time stamp put on the results?

My guess is at the time the test is administered, which is when the patient is either infected or not, not 72 hours later when the results are sent back.

Either way the timing does not work.

1. It is too late to catch the plane, and

2. The traveler arrives, say 18 hours later at the destination country, and the results won't be accepted because the clock has now ticked for 90 hours.

Unless somebody can clear this up for me, I see no way of flying to countries needing a recent within 72 hours test.

I hope I'm wrong.

I checked the procedure for  France since I could have to go back quickly if my mother gets sick and found out that I can take a test when I arrive at the airport m in Paris ,so maybe other countries offer the same thing.. If I do not take the test on arrival I have to goin quarantine over there..

I checked the procedure for  France since I could have to go back quickly if my mother gets sick and found out that I can take a test when I arrive at the airport m in Paris ,so maybe other countries offer the same thing.. If I do not take the test on arrival I have to goin quarantine over there..

That is the country rule but I do not know about the airline policy so there could be a catch 22.. I ll cross that bridge ifI have to but I sure would not go unless I have to go.. I do not need that extra stress...

5 hours ago, bmh said:

You can get it at no cost in Chiapas if you have symptoms and are willing to stand in a crowd wth symptoms..for a long time.. Yes tests in Mexico are a luxury and they only count people who were confirmed, It gives you a little idea of how undercounted the people with covid are.

It is no cost in Jalisco at Government sites and the  University of Guadalajara if you are symptomatic or confirmed exposed.

If you need the PCR test for other reasons (like travel)  it is available at Salud Digna  laboratory  in GDL for $950. 

https://salud-digna.org/covid-19/estudio-covid-19/ 

5 hours ago, southland said:

The original poster raised a question I've never been able to satisfy in my own mind.

Catch-22:

Countries want PCR test results from within the last 72 hours, but results don't come back for 48 to 72 hours.

When is the time stamp put on the results?

My guess is at the time the test is administered, which is when the patient is either infected or not, not 72 hours later when the results are sent back.

Either way the timing does not work.

1. It is too late to catch the plane, and

2. The traveler arrives, say 18 hours later at the destination country, and the results won't be accepted because the clock has now ticked for 90 hours.

Unless somebody can clear this up for me, I see no way of flying to countries needing a recent within 72 hours test.

I hope I'm wrong.

72 hours before your flight.  You can get responses in as little as 24 hours from private labs.   So you are in luck.....  you are wrong. 

Does anyone know of a private lab that gives a 24 hr result? Not 24-48, but actually 24 hours? Also, need result by email.

(The come-one-come-all at the Laboratorio Clinico El Lago doesn't sound the best. Want a place who gives appointments and does distancing.) Lakeside preferred, Guadalajara ok.

On 10/14/2020 at 10:38 AM, bmh said:

That is the country rule but I do not know about the airline policy so there could be a catch 22.. I ll cross that bridge ifI have to but I sure would not go unless I have to go.. I do not need that extra stress...

I hear the airport in Panama offers at airport but, to be verified.