Chapala.com Webboard

Please advise RE: what megabites to work from home

Shag

We have company coming for a month.  She is a lawyer and must work from home.  She needs to upload, download, video chat with zoom.  Right now we have the 30 megas for $399. This works for me as i download things that are sent to my email. I am totally illiterate when it comes to knowing things like this.  But for someone that must work from home and needs these services could someone advise me that also works from home if i need to upgrade my internet????  Telmex offers:

150 megas for $549

200 megas for $899

Thank you so very much for anyones input !!!!!

Much will depend on what you are actually getting at your casa, not what your plan says you are paying for. And remember all speeds are sold as "UP TO" which does not necessarily mean you will get the advertised speed of 30mbps. Also Zoom will take more bandwidth IF there are a number of patrons on the 'call'.

Depending on how good your wifi signal is within your casa... it is best right in the same room as the Telmex modem..... your speed will suffer the farther away you are.  Better yet if one is directly hardwired via Ethernet cable right into the modem.

Do a speed test several times a day... especially during the times that your guest would need access. This will give you some idea what you are actually getting. Speeds will likely be the worst in the evening when other folks are streaming movies.

I suggest using one/both of the speed tests below and share the results with your friend. I am not a user of Zoom so cannot attest to the minimum brandwidth you need but you will probably be OK if you can sustain about 10mbps download and something less than that upload. Maybe someone who actually uses Zoom Lakeside will share their thoughts.

https://www.nperf.com/en/

https://www.speedtest.net/

2 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

Our plan says "up to 50 mbps" and on a really good day we have 5 down & .5 up. A bigger issue really is that the service drops constantly. If you're trying to Zoom, it's like hanging up on a client.

Others in the fracc who work online using Zoom are losing clients and students.

We had good service for a number of years and then one day <BOOM!>, crappy service and no response to umpteen complaints from a bunch of us by Telmex.

You are guaranteed zip, so if she must work, she must stay NOB. That's the bottom line.

Or not live in your fracc. 

The vast majority of us do not have internet issues with Telmex.  I was in 2 different cities in Texas last year. Both had cable internet. Both dropped out once or twice every hour.

My Telmex copper line very rarely drops.  I am running streaming on 2 TV's, and working online with a laptop. No problem.  Right now 18+ down and 5+ up on the cheapest Telmex plan.

I am glad to hear your positive remarks about Telmex internet. I too, have always had good luck with them. In the past there always those neighborhoods that did not. I just know that according to Telmex, my Telmex internet router is some 1070 meters from where two of the four wires in my telephone line connects to my Dslam card or to the internet  and I regularly get almost 20 Mbps per second down by 5 up

Recommend you get a second internet source at least during her visit, I'm sure it's too important to not lose connection from one provider and not have backup for her work.

We have Telmex and Wizz cable. Telmex seem to drop out more often

• Like 2

I should add that I too have a backup ISP. Mine is the local cable company, I think called Wizz. Oh and when necessary, I can always use my iPhone as a hotspot. The internet has become much more reliable over the years and outages are much fewer than in the past in my neighborhood.