Chapala.com Webboard

Re vised income requirements for retiring in Mexico

lakeside7

Consulates are not using UMA. INM in San Miguel uses UMA where applicable, such as a TR visa application after renewing an expired FMM.

They sure jumped in Vancouver. Direct to permanente is now out of reach for most retirees, $4750  a month in after tax income or $190,000 in the bank. My wife would just squeak under that for monthly income, I would not. If we can't get back in time to renew our temporal, I guess we will redo it all by having her go permanente, me temporal, then I apply for permanente tied to her. Still trying to find out from Teresa in PV if expiry renewals are now allowed past the 55 day period. She said she woudl check with INM when she can. With 2 friends dead of covid, I am not willing to get on a plane, I am in the high risk group, plus my aging parents need me in Canada right now. She did say they can now do them in one day in PV. That is good news, anyway.

On 9/29/2020 at 8:14 AM, telcoman said:

They sure jumped in Vancouver. Direct to permanente is now out of reach for most retirees, $4750  a month in after tax income or $190,000 in the bank. My wife would just squeak under that for monthly income, I would not. If we can't get back in time to renew our temporal, I guess we will redo it all by having her go permanente, me temporal, then I apply for permanente tied to her. Still trying to find out from Teresa in PV if expiry renewals are now allowed past the 55 day period. She said she woudl check with INM when she can. With 2 friends dead of covid, I am not willing to get on a plane, I am in the high risk group, plus my aging parents need me in Canada right now. She did say they can now do them in one day in PV. That is good news, anyway.

All the INM covid exemptions have ended, unfortunately. 

From my FB which I posted today:

The law says you may enter Mexico up to 55 days after expiration of a Temporary Resident visa. In reality, INM at point of entry will usually keep your expired visa and / or issue a FMM marked tourist unless you are able to convince them otherwise. If you enter as a tourist, the result is you need to start over, proving financials at a Mexican consulate. If allowed to enter and your FMM does not indicate tourist and you keep your expired card, you have 5 days to start the process at Inmigracion. If you enter beyond the 55 days you are a tourist.

If your Temporary Resident visa expires in Mexico, you have 60 days to apply for a visa. The qualifiers are income or savings or home ownership in Mexico. These amounts have just been lowered by 1/3 as per my web site under visas as UMA is now used with the multiplier. There are 3 fees including a fine, review fee and visa fee. Your Temporary Residentvisa will be for 1 to 3 years. Translated financials are a must.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is there still  a fine during the 55 days? As far as convincing immigration. I have the immigration regs on my server. They are at https://mexicocaravans.com/Reglamento.pdf

I intend to have these printed out and ready to show immigration. I guess if they give me a hassle I will ask to see the aduana. Unless your agent teresa can prewarn them I am coming. Its in section 160 on page 56.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 2:02 PM, Sonia said:

If your Temporary Resident visa expires in Mexico, you have 60 days to apply for a visa. The qualifiers are income or savings or home ownership in Mexico. These amounts have just been lowered by 1/3 as per my web site under visas as UMA is now used with the multiplier. There are 3 fees including a fine, review fee and visa fee. Your Temporary Residentvisa will be for 1 to 3 years. Translated financials are a must.

Well, so far I have not been able to find a consulate in the U.S. that is actually quoting the UMA numbers. Does anyone have a consulate that has made the transition?

I don't think any are, I know in Cnada, it comes down from the main embassy, so its consistent everywhere. To make things worse, AMLO is planning to raise  the minimum wage by 15% on Jan 1st which will up the amounts by another 15%, putting it out of reach of all but the most affluent retirees.

I disagree, there still are COVID exemptions, there is a federal freeze on expiration dates still in effect, this ONLY applies to temporary and permanent residents as well as consular visas which were requested and approved within Mexico for a person outside Mexico, as of last week I had clients enter late and not have to use the 55 day because the federal suspension was still honored.  We have also invoked it so hat clients would not be fined if they notified immigration about a change of address / marital status after the 90 day period.

Ok i need to get this clear since I am still wary. My temporal expires on Jan 6th. So, as things stand, do I have to enter Mexico before March 1st or can I come later (after the 55 days) when hopefully I will have been vaccinated?

I have pretty well resigned myself I would have to start over, but if it is still doable past the 55 days, I will still fly down to do it.

I do realize qualifications are likely to go up 15% after Jan 1st, but I will still make those (barely)

20 hours ago, ScottB said:

Well, so far I have not been able to find a consulate in the U.S. that is actually quoting the UMA numbers. Does anyone have a consulate that has made the transition?

That is because they use minimum wage which likely goes up 15% Jan 1.

If you enter with an expired visa you still have to convince immigration at your point of entry not to mark you tourist. Clients have done so but I prepared documents in advance which they had with them. Do not count on every immigration person at every point of entry to know the law. Once you enter as a tourist that is what you are.

And people may disagree all they want. INM offices have different processes they follow whether you like it or not. In SMA for example, in some cases I can and have applied for TR after a person has a humanitarian FMM renewal. And, I can renew an expired FMM. Neither may be done in PV nor Nayarit and I believe not in GDL. 

So saying you may enter with an expired TR visa months (not sure why PR was noted a they do not expire) after it expired is not applicable at every INM office. Similarly, to say the 90 day rule is not in effect is not applicable at every INM office is not how it works in reality. Try going from TR to PR after 4 years and not having changed your Mexican income status in Mexico for 6 months and see what happens. Bingo, threat to deny PR status and a fine and accountant scrambling to make changes all in the past week.

INM, at each office rightly or wrongly operate independently. The requirements may change at any time. The example, I noted TR after humanitarian FMM. Locally, the requirements for financials changed again last week. Investments no longer are allowed.  It is critical to work with a person who works closely with INM staff. In my case many are personal friends. I can WhatsApp a question to INM staff from 8 am to 6 pm and get an answer. If there are issues I am informed by WhatsApp and that does not happen with individuals. I have more than 500 INM processes annually. My point is, if seeking someone to assist do it with someone who has a close professional relationship with INM staff and has extensive experience. 

I just a little confused.... if it goes up by 15%, and it was formerly $4,000 say, the new requirement would be $4,600. I can't see how this would eliminate anyone except those that were really on the hairy edge to begin with.  Am I misunderstanding?

11 minutes ago, RickS said:

I just a little confused.... if it goes up by 15%, and it was formerly $4,000 say, the new requirement would be $4,600. I can't see how this would eliminate anyone except those that were really on the hairy edge to begin with.  Am I misunderstanding?

There are people on the hairy edge. A friend found out about the increase when she submitted her paper work. It bumped her out of range. Luckily she found a work around and got approved. 

17 hours ago, Sonia said:

That is because they use minimum wage which likely goes up 15% Jan 1.

If you enter with an expired visa you still have to convince immigration at your point of entry not to mark you tourist. Clients have done so but I prepared documents in advance which they had with them. Do not count on every immigration person at every point of entry to know the law. Once you enter as a tourist that is what you are.

Sorry, Sonia, I don't understand your response to my question about the UMA standard. Are you saying that because a 15% increase in minimum wage is in the works thatng  UMA is less or more likely to be implemented as the benchmark for qualifying residency income?

25 minutes ago, ScottB said:

Sorry, Sonia, I don't understand your response to my question about the UMA standard. Are you saying that because a 15% increase in minimum wage is in the works thatng  UMA is less or more likely to be implemented as the benchmark for qualifying residency income?

There is no indication consulates will be using UMA. For the past three years, minimum wage has gone up 10, 16 and 20%. Slowly consulates implemented these increases. They are just as likely to implement the 15% this year if approved. You will also find consulates are not consistent in the amounts they require for financials nor how it is proven nor even how to make an appointment. Each consulate has a web site although some are not current. FYI, consulates are not a part of Inmigracion.

• Like 2

from what I understand the UMA comes into play if you want to change your temporal to permanente within Mexico, in which case the qualifications are a lot lower amount. Maybe qualification amounts at consulates vary in the US, but in Canada they seem consistent. I may convert my temporal early. I hear you need statements translated into spanish. I am hoping I can get my bank to produce a statement of only my deposits and their source, for a 6 month period and stamp it to make that less complex.

6 hours ago, Sonia said:

There is no indication consulates will be using UMA. . [Snipped for brevity]

Sad, and for us ironic, since we've resided in Costa Rica for many years, always had money left over each month, yet will not be able to even qualify for temporal with the latest increase. And, by all accounts, COL is about 30+% cheaper there. 

Countries south of Panama are moving up the list. ;^) Thanks for your insights. 

5 hours ago, telcoman said:

from what I understand the UMA comes into play if you want to change your temporal to permanente within Mexico, in which case the qualifications are a lot lower amount. Maybe qualification amounts at consulates vary in the US, but in Canada they seem consistent. I may convert my temporal early. I hear you need statements translated into spanish. I am hoping I can get my bank to produce a statement of only my deposits and their source, for a 6 month period and stamp it to make that less complex.

If you wait until your temporal is about to expire to change to Permante there is no income requirement.

10 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

If you wait until your temporal is about to expire to change to Permanente there is no income requirement.

I know that but i have to be Mexico in the month before expiry. I am there most of time, but the experience with Covid has shown you can be blindsided. i am stuck in Canada and my 1 year expires next month. Since I am not willing to risk coming back right now, my only option is to re-apply. I would hate to get blindsided at year 3.5, so being able to choose the timing of going permanente is an advantage. As soon as I don't need to bring a vehicle in.

I am currently in Canada Dan. My issue is I am very nervous about flying right now. I am not worried once down there. It will be a hassle to let my temporal expire, but I may have to. Fortunately I am only in my first year of temporal, its not like starting over in year 4. A lot depends on vaccine schedules. That seems to be happening faster than predicted, and at over 70 I will be in one of the earlier groups. Even if I get the first jab, I have enough time to go to Mexico between the 2 shots, and one shot still gives you some protection. Terry now qualifies for permanente so she can just redo as that, while I stay temporal, so we can still bring a car in for another year or maybe 2, til I buy a Mexican one. I can change temporal to permanente inside Mexico since its based on UMA not minimum wage. I want to pick the timing myself so I don't get blindsided again. You never know, if it happens once, it can happen twice.

On 12/16/2020 at 6:29 PM, Mainecoons said:

You're safer here.   The expat community is doing very well avoiding covid.  I sure wouldn't let my temporal expire.  Takes too long to go through all of that again.

Is it truly that safe there?