Chapala.com Webboard

Best ways to exchange USD for pesos

Most banks will not exchange dollars or travelers' checks anymore.  If you have an account there, Actinver will and Intercam used to if you have an account.  Not sure anymore.  Some  businesses will take dollars but at a bad rate.  If you brought down a lot of dollars just hang on to them until you, or somebody you know, might be returning to the states.  Use a debit card and an ATM to get pesos.  Alan

18 minutes ago, barrbower said:

Most banks will not exchange dollars or travelers' checks anymore.  If you have an account there, Actinver will and Intercam used to if you have an account.  Not sure anymore.  Some  businesses will take dollars but at a bad rate.  If you brought down a lot of dollars just hang on to them until you, or somebody you know, might be returning to the states.  Use a debit card and an ATM to get pesos.  Alan

Can you name the banks that don't exchange dollars for pesos lakeside? 

48 minutes ago, Willie said:

I am going to need to buy some dollars...

I have never seen better exchange rates for pesos to dollars than what is received at the money changer on the 200 block of Hidalgo, Chapala Centro. I have paid close to one point less than the banks want.

• Like 1

I use not Actinver Bank but my Actinver Brokerage account which gives me a better rate of exchange from wiring funds from up North than when using my Actinver Bank Account. I believe that the rate of change they give me is about as good as you can get at the moment they make the trade. Trouble is, if the exchange from dollars takes place a little while later in the day, the rate of that exchange could go either up or down, so it is rather hard to figure which bank or brokerage account gives the best rate of exchange while the market is open.

3 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I have never seen better exchange rates for pesos to dollars than what is received at the money changer on the 200 block of Hidalgo, Chapala Centro. I have paid close to one point less than the banks want.

I have used this money changer many times.  They provide a better rate than almost all the banks.  Highly recommend, just walk in with dollars and walk out with pesos, no ID required.

• Like 1

Today I went to get my monthly rent dollars at the money changer in Chapala. First I verified that he had sufficient dollars and then went to Santander. I got my pesos at a net exchange rate after the bank fee of 22.128177. Went back to the changer and bought the dollars at 21. Sweeter yet is my bank refunds the ATM's fee.

• 2 years later...
On 9/27/2020 at 9:25 PM, rafterbr said:

I have used this money changer many times.  They provide a better rate than almost all the banks.  Highly recommend, just walk in with dollars and walk out with pesos, no ID required.

Could you tell me where this money changer is located on the 200 block of Hidalgo, Chapala Centro? Thanks.